how long do I wait between foot surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had my bunion surgery in sept 2014 and I am planning to have my other one done soon has anyone done this an d how long did u wait I'm getting around good on my surgery foot now..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello on the advice of my physio I had my second one done as soon as the first one was in good shape and able to support me. In real terms - left foot 5th Jan and right foot 30 March though I started planning for the right foot from mid February. The physio too me "sooner the better" so that I was balanced, so that I only had to learn to walk differently the one time and that I would be preventing knee and back problems that come from being unbalanced. Both done now and I have no regrets! 
  • Posted

I had first foot done last October and second foot in February this year. Best to get it all over and done with sooner than later. 
  • Posted

Hi Lisa.

I had the bunion and a hammertoe on my left foot done November 2013.

I had the bunion  on my right foot ( no hammertoe on this foot) done October 2014.

I am glad that the timing was spaced out like this.

It does take a long time for the recovery and I know that to have had my right foot done any sooner may have been awkward.

I wanted to be sure the success of my left foot continued without problems.

In my opinion there's no right time ( in terms of what time of year) to have this surgery. But I enjoy my garden and so uatumn seems a good time for me to have had my surgery. Also, as the weather tends to be not as good and the temptation to stay indoors greater at this time of year it allows the patient all the time required to rest the elevated foot and aid recovery.

Anyway, the choice will be up to you of course.

Progress on my second foot is going well although I haven't managed to rest the foot as much as I've been kept busier than usual with a longer than expected stay at home from my son, daughter in law and baby whilst they awaited completion of a house move. It was to have been 6 to 8 weeks but was in fact 7 and a half months. And so being able to just sit and rest was a bit tricky with all the added activity in the house.

Anyhow, they moved out in March and so I am trying to catch up on some of my lost rest and jobs.

That said, the garden cries out to be given its annual makeover and so IU am trying to do that in fits and starts before the weeds win this years battle.

Good Luck!

Gillian

• Posted

I had first foot done Aug 2014 and second December 2014, absolutely no problem, having pain in second foot made pain in first go away!
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

Good question,  I was thinking about asking the same! My consultant will only operate on a second foot after three months. I go for my final 12 week check next week so I'm hoping to be able to fix a date then for the near future for my other foot. Really don't want to wait for much longer, think Amanda is right!! Go for it if both you and your surgeon think your ready. Wishing you all the best. Update to let us know how you get on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.