How long do limps take to correct after THR

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All

its been 6 weeks since i had my hip replaced. i know everyone recovers at different times. i can walk without a crutch indoors but my limp is quite bad, so i still try and use the crutch. how long does it take approximately for the limp to correct? any tips on what i need to do more of to improve this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Do not be to eager to drop the crutches, walk heel to toe, that really does stop the limping.

• Posted

Thanks Jen86183. yes im still using 1 crutch due to the limp.

• Edited

Hi Hip2020,

I was 42 when I had my hip replacement done last year. My limp took 6 months (!!!) to go. I was worried about it going on for so long, but needn't have worried, it resolved, just as yours will at its own pace.

• Edited

Hi glad your limp went away im six months out and still limping what were you doing to help with problem im exercising and walking heel toe but seem to be getting worse

• Posted

hi - i'm 2 1/2 weeks out from THR. And lots of limping. New hip leg is a lot longer so I stand with the knee bent. I think this is a big part of the limp! Do you feel like one leg is longer? I wish I would received instruction on using the cane. Not sure if its helping or hindering! gonna try heel to toe!

• Edited

Hi, I understand your concern. Rest assured that 6 weeks is not long at all. It took me a few months after Physical therapy to be rid of the limp completely. Its about strengthening the muscle and bone. It mostly just takes time to heal. Everyone is different , don't put a timeline on it. Hope everything works out for you. God bless!

• Edited

I had hip dysplasia on last hip which was replaced in Feb and was told it could take upto 1 year before I stop limping. I'm now 6 months gone and at times still get the slight limp on that side as the muscles never been used in 45yrs and I have to re train my brain to walk properly, but gets better week by week even now. I found what helped me to see the improvements taking vids of myself walking every 2 wks and kept me motivated. Still doing it now.

• Posted

hi @vickie1976 im taking videos too. its difficult to correct old habits. hope you are doing better.

• Edited

hi i am now seven weeks post op, when i walk with one cane get pain in right buttock and hip, went to see surgeon mon he was very plzed with my progress and told me its where he cut into hip and muscles, and it takes around 12 weeks to sort themselves out so its just a waiting game.

• Edited

hi i am now seven weeks post op, when i walk with one cane get pain in right buttock and hip, went to see surgeon mon he was very plzed with my progress and told me its where he cut into hip and muscles, and it takes around 12 weeks to sort themselves out so its just a waiting game.

• Edited

just keep doing exercises , im now 10 weeks post op, still got slight pain in right lower back and buttock but have been told to do stretching exercises and this will sort it. go to see physio in 2 weeks will see what they say.

• Posted

Hi Barry,

I'm now almost 6 months and still limping. Been exercising as advised by physio. hows your limp?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.