How long do pulmonary emboli symptoms last after treatment?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I understand it’s different for everyone, but I wouldn’t mind hearing a rough ballpark idea or people’s own experiences. I was diagnosed with multiple PEs in March, but I had the symptoms for years before and I am thinking because they were left undiagnosed for so long my symptoms now might last longer. The pain was unbearable at the beginning of treatment but since I have changed to tinzaparin it is a lot better. But twice a month when ovulating and just before my period the pain, my heart rate and my breathing get worse. Is this going to go on for years? Miraculously I have no serious damage to my lungs or heart so I am hoping its not going to be for life.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well, I will try and give you an answer....but something like PEs can vary enormously in severity.

Reading through respondents on here seems to show a roughly 50/50 split between those with a recovery within 3-6 months and those with 1 year or more recovery and/or ongoing symptoms.

I seem to fall firmly in the latter, but it's not all bad news as you can find you are still improving some 2 years+ in.

I too had problems long before diagnosis and had had shortness of breath & coughing up blood ascribed to chest infections. I ended up diagnosed with many many clots in both lungs. Sounds bad, but the silver lining is: I suspect my breathing is now significantly better than a year or two before my PE diagnosis.  (Just some possible late onset asthma to spoil the party).

I suspect you may not see huge leaps in improvement, but will realise some time in the future, that many of the issues have faded away.

Fingers crossed.

• Posted

I am about a year and a half out, and I'm just now finally starting to feel like my old self again (more or less).

• Posted

Are you from Wisconsin?
    • Posted

No I am from the UK. Our health service is rather lacking and I feel like I have learned more about PEs from other people’s stories and comments than from any health care professional. Did you have multiple PEs or one big one?
    • Posted

I had 5 clots in late 2016 and was misdiagnosed for two months. The pain was horrible. I was put on blood thinners and now they're deciding whether I should stay on them or not. I'm not getting very good answers about that. They make me feel awful. But as far as the PE goes, it took over a year for the pain to really get better, and I still have bad days here and there.

• Posted

I hope you start feeling better soon and can come off the blood thinners safely. I am not a big fan of blood thinners either but I find the injections I am on now have much less side effects than the tablets and they help the symptoms a bit more. Only trouble is I have bruises everywhere I inject. When you get bruises how long do they usually last for and when should they get better? I have bashed my ankle about a week and a half ago and it is still bruised and swollen. Is that normal on blood thinners?
    • Posted

It's normal to have worse bruising and such. I find bruises all over and I'm not sure where they came from and they last awhile. It was never like that before 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.