How long do side effects last?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have taken just one dose of 20mg citalopram and I have had such bad side effects I have stopped taking it already. I have nausea, upset stomach and headaches. This has lasted nearly 3 days so far. Does anyone know when this tablet will be out of my system? I'm feeling horrendous. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I found it best to wean onto tablets starting with 5mg for 7days then gradually up to full tablet then repeat the same to get up to 20 mg still had side effects but managed them. It is normal to get side effects and once over them the tablets do have a good effects . Believe in system for 36 hours plus ( I think) hope you feel better soon, stay strong.

• Posted

Thank you. Was advised by my doctor to lower the dosage but just worried about taking them as I have felt so poorly this time. Been in bed bound for 60 hours now so hopefully will be feeling better soon. Thank you
  • Posted

You really need to keep taking it if doc prescribed it. Side effects will go. I had them for two wks wasn't fun but gets better.
  • Posted

Hi Jess I was like this I felt so ill I couldn't do anything j was in bed for over a week I cut down to 10mg took it before bed and a few days later I was fine still a bit groggy but no where near as bad as I was at the start you just have to push past it xx
    • Posted

Ok then thank you. I'm going to cut down to 5mg for a few days and then up to 10mg. Did you suffer any insomnia taking it at night? X
    • Posted

I struggled to sleep at first but I think that was my own fault because I was staying in bed most of the day but once the side effects stopped from changing it to take it at night time I've been fine. I have noticed I have been sweating a lot in my sleep but that's about it I don't feel sick or dizzy anymore xx
    • Posted

Ok then thank you. I will cut down my dose and try to take them at night. I would rather sweating in the night than having this nausea! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.