How long do side effects last after long time use?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has taken Amlodipine for several years, who suffered side effects and how long did it take for all side effects to stop.  I am not talking initial side effects, but to truly feel OK again. Please let me know, suffering after 3 months off, after 5 years on the dreaded drug

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I took it for about eight years, mostly at low doses and for the last six months at very low doses.  When I completely discontinued it, it clearly took several weeks for the negative effects to clear, there was some progress immediately but then kept declining over say 8 to 10 weeks.  I'm only about 16 weeks past stopping now, I'd hesitate to blame any current conditions on the drug, except as permanent damage ... but hey, ask me again in a year.

• Posted

Hi Jx41870 - Thank you for responding - you & I have been off the drug about the same amount of time.  It appears that you are coping better than I am.  I think you might have confirmed my fear that this is now permanent damage.  I initially felt ok coming off the drug, then wham! Horrible.  Then I rallied a bit, & this week it's just been horrible with shallow breathing which turns into a full blown anxiety attack, dizzy/spaced out/irritable, nauseas & dry nasal passages and mouth, oh & let's not forget the headache and neck aches!!! I am really trying to get to the bottom of this - when I tell people my story they think I am nuts.  How could an RX do that to you & why would you still be suffering after 3 1/2 months?  Ugh! So frustrated!

• Posted

Debra, all the symptoms could just relate to the high BP, not to anything left over from the amlodipine. As soon as the BP is back under control the symptoms can clear up quickly, with just a little luck!

• Posted

Hello .. Debra...

Jx41870 has pointed out something we always overlook.. if you cease Amlodipine.. you need to follow another BP meds regime to bring yr BP down to 125/85 ....

If your bp is high still ... it could cause those awful feelings that u have .. mainly like fatigue.. anxiety.. unease.. gerd... dizzy .. these are all symptoms of high BP ...

You will need to record the highest bp of the day and those spikes are significant .. so suggest you keep a 2 hour record of BP.. that's 8 x when awake .. see the trend .. this is what the GPs cannot do .. and make your inference .. if you are consistently low and not exceed the labial figure of 140/90.. then go is not the issue .. else .. it probably is ...

• Posted

Hi Debra

How are you doing now? Your last post l see said you were still getting side effects from the Amlodopine or even thinking it could ne a permanent problem. I am still having dry nasal passage and shallow breathing and like you leading into anxiety and panic attacks. When will it end..

Was on the drug for almost 9 years been off since 1st September and not a great deal better. My anxiety is still there just waiting for me to go over the edge. Sincerely hope this is no longer the case with you.

• Posted

Hi Christine - I am so sorry to hear about you still not feeling well, but I totally get it.  For whatever reason, this week has been better for me...🤞That this is the end of the side effects.  I am 60 years old & I also go on the patient.info menopause site & compare notes to see if it's menopause or Amlodipine causing my issues & oddly enough, both share similar symptoms, so it's hard to know which is causing what.  I am 3 months off after 5 years on & I pray that that last tough week was the last of it - if you have a RX for an anti anxiety RX, now might be a good time to take some, just to get you thru the tough times, I know i fought taking the RX & I actually made my panic/anxiety worse.  I also have been really drinking lots of calming teas & water & taking extra stress vitamins & Calcium & magnesium - hope that helps! Good Luck! Keep us posted on your progress - 

• Posted

Thank you Debra for your kind concern.

Am pleased that you are hopefully on the right side of the side effects, be it the Amlodopine or menopause. Hope you carry on feeling more normal as time goes on.

I don't have any RX and to be honest have never heard of them. I'm presuming they are a kind of antidepressent? Never had any anyway.

I think I'm begining to feel a little better as this week my anxiety seems less which is a great start as that is perhaps one of the worst problem l have. My nose has been less blocked too so even better. Blood pressure still high though but it could lower as my anxiety lessens, fingers crossed. Am drinking plenty of water and up to 3 cups of tea as the caffeine tends to make my heart rate. All in all a positive week.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Christine and Debra...

Am really glad to hear there is some positives .. I am at 115 days off and I would say the frequency and intensity of those side effects are not as bad and bothersome ...however .. every once in a few days .. I still do get a bout of flu... back aches on neck... stomach anxiety...sleepiness...

I think the side effects will only go off when one day .. you don't notice them ... but for now .. living sensible and eat and sleep and relax well ...

I think is still all Amlodipine ... !!

• Posted

Hi Debra. If you want to cut down on the caffeine, I would suggest that you drink green tea which contains very little caffeine (10 mg). Or you could start drinking rooiboos or chamomile which both contains no caffeine.

Great to hear that you are progressing when it comes to the awful side effects.

Still struggling after almost 6 weeks off

• Posted

The above message was for Christine or anybody else that wants to cut down on caffeine
  • Posted

Probably about four weeks for me, after taking it for 18 months.
  • Posted

Debra, did you slowly wean yourself off the drug  (always recommended after coming off any drug)?  I was told by an expert pharmacist we should wean slowly, taking a week for every year of taking any medication.  If you just stopped it in one fell swoop, that might be the reason for you feeling so rotten still.  However, if it were me, I would get yourself checked by the GP just to rule out anything else going on.  Particularly ask for blood tests to check for inflammation - there are autoimmune conditions that cause very similar symptoms to some of those you are experiencing.  Importantly, too, you must let your GP know that you have stopped the medication - if you now have untreated high BP, you run other risks.  Do let us know how you get on - good luck.
    • Posted

Hi MrsQ-UK Surrey - Well that is probably outstanding advice regarding weaning yourself off of the drug...but unfortunately, I went full blown cold turkey - 😫 I decided to go another route rather than going back to my GP, since I had just had a full-blown physical & everything except my elevated B/P was good.  I made an appt with a naturopath (Functional Medicine Dr) who ordered a Heart CT to determine my Calcium Score (plaque), more elaborate Thyroid blood tests, adrenal stress test & hormone levels. Turns out I am great in the Calcium Score & Thyroid, but my adrenal stress test came back with very elevated levels of cortisol & it also appears I have a high level of inflammation & histamine level & my hormones are balanced but very depleted (I am 60) it was the Drs feeling that all that coupled with the remaining effects of the drug are all adding to the way I feel.  It was her feeling that my high cortisol levels were affecting my blood pressure as well.  The other night when I once again got the shallow breathing, instead of going for an anti anxiety pill I tried & used an inhalator (for asthma) that I had.  I instantly got relief, so maybe my shallow breathing was caused from allergy induced asthma & not panic.  I used to suffer from allergy induced asthma when we had a lot of moisture, but since I live in California, the drought relievd that.  I think it's interesting that you mentioned the inflammation piece & that is something I got diagnosed with.  All & all the Dr felt that this bad RX could very well have aided in my body reacting with the high cortisol & inflammation-obviously the decreased hormones is age related thing - came home with a boatload of natural remedies, I hope I get some results.

• Posted

Hi Debra

I've been off Amlodepine for two months now after taking it for four years.

Took me a while to get my BP down. The lisinopril dose was increased every two weeks until I got stable on Lisinopril 10mgs. My energy level has increased and my quality of sleep has improved. My GP was very reluctant to change me over but now he sees how much better I feel, even he does not question my request for a change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.