How long do symptoms from pancreatitis last?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had pancreatitis a few weeks ago. I was in the hospital for 3 days. The pain in my back has subsided, but I seem to be having some symptoms with digestion that don't seem to be getting better. Does anyone know how long this is expected to last? Does it get better eventually or is this something I will have to live with? Any help or advise you could offer would be appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

WWere you diagnosed with acute pancreatitis or Chronic Pancreatitis?
    • Posted

They told me it was acute pancreatitis, but I'm worried that it might be more. I'm still having a lot of trouble with my digestive system. Not to be gross, but it has been weeks and I've yet to have a normal bowel movement.
    • Posted

I dont know very much about acute pancreatitis other than it can lead to Chronic Pancreatitis. I suggest you go back and see your GP if you haven't got any outpatient appointments setup from your stay in hospital. 

Maybe others who have had acute pancreatitis will post here and help you more but you need a follow up appointment for sure, I found my GP's didn't know very much about CP so make sure you push your GP to help.

• Posted

My husband has acute pancreatitis, he spent 12 days in hospital. After he came out i changed his diet, good foods are garlic, spinach, probiotic yoghurts,fresh cherries,mushrooms,brocolli,sweet potatoes and red grapes. He has porridge with raspberries or blueberries in the morning. Only wholemeal bread, brown rice. Decaff tea and decaff green tea. He hasnt had any alcohol in 16 weeks. Hes back at the gym trying to get his fitness back. Hes not on any medication but his stools are still pale in colour which means he still has problems. If he drinks too many fizzy drinks he gets bloated, he still gets tired but knows he has to rest and not overdo things. I think if you watch your diet and exercise you will improve. Hes taken this disease as a warning and has made these changes. Good luck.
    • Posted

I agree with what you are saying, making changes to help improve your health is always good and even more so with this illness. It also depends why you have either developed CP or had an attack of AP, I have never been a big drinker, just a few glasses of wine at Christmas or big celebrations and a very occasional glass of a spirit and I mean very occasional. I am in the catagory of "unknown" as to why I have CP. Anyone who has previously been a drinker must stop immediately to help themselves.

I hope your husbands health improves and he feels better for it smile

• Posted

Thanks cbear. The food you describe is pretty much what I'm eating. I have eaten a small amount of chicken breast either boiled or grilled with no oil or butter but all else is veggies and fruit. Since your husband had the acute attack, is he restricted to this diet forever? I'm wondering if I can ever have a slice of pizza again or if even one slice could cause major upset.  I was concerned about the stools as well. They have recently become more normalized but are as well still pale.I have cut out fizzy drinks altogether and stick to juices and water exclusively. 
    • Posted

Hi,

I know this was a long time ago for you and your husband - though I just stumbled across this feed now.

My dad has been diagnosed with pancreatis (they haven't yet figured out what exactly caused it) and has been in the hospital for 5 days now. He shows some very slight improvements every no and then, but mostly he seems to stay in a lot of pain - very drugged up on pain medication - and struggling to speak do much in general while the doctors are trying to figure out what exactly is going on.

I was curious what your husbands symptoms were like when he was in hospital for that long? I was worried that 5 days was a bad sign and that he should be springing back to life by now, but I know very little about the disease so it has been hard (along with little to no answers from the doctors) to know what is "normal" for pancreatis and what isn't. 

I know you're not a doctor smile But just curious as you have been through it with your husband. thanks!

• Posted

Hi, many people who suffer from CP are put on Creon! Creon helps with the digestion of foods! Asking your GP about this may help you. My own attacks of CP lasted over 3-4 weeks, and only when my bloods came back to normal, could I eat! Even after this amount of time, once I started to eat very small amounts, my CP would give me pain within 15 minutes of eating, but it usually subsided after 24-48 hours! Stools are light brown in colour and float due to the amount of fats that have not been digested properly! Eating a healthy diet and staying off alcohol is a good start!
    • Posted

Hi Jason, Thats why I suggested that Chris go to his GP if he didnt have a followup appointment at the hospital. The Creon are Enzymes that help us break down our food, they replace what our pancreas has stopped producing or boosts the small amounts it still produces. Personally I found Creon didn't help me very much but there are several combo's of enzymes and if the one you are trying doesnt help let your doctor know as they can try another.

Wishing us all well xx

• Posted

Hi, what is it that you want to know?
    • Posted

I guess what I'm really struggling with is wondering whether I had only an Acute attack or if I have CP and how to tell the difference. Also wondering if it was only an acute attack, how long does it take before your body goes back to normal. What shoud I expect? I have completely changed my diet. I never really ate a lot of fatty foods to begin with, but I did drink socially. I did not drink every day. Only on the weekends and probably between 3 and 4 drinks. When I had the attack though, I had 4 drinks and had eaten a LOT of fatty foods I don't usually eat. I am not drinking alcohol at all and have pretty much cut out all fat, soda etc. Obviously, if I don't already have CP, I don't want it so I will never drink alcohol again.

Really appreciate all your comments and any advice or input you have. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi, the first attacks of Pancreatitus are usually Acute, if the attacks carry on over a period of time, it then turns to Chronic! During an attack your Amylase levels rise quite drastically, and only when the Amylase levels are back down to normal, is the attack of Pancreatitus over! My attacks were bad, I usually stayed in Hospital over 4 weeks at a time. I`ve been told that a little alcohol regularly is better than lots after periods of not drinking, so I would say that drinking at weekends after having none in the week is bad for you! However, drink and Pancreatitus do not go well together! It is important to keep Pancreatitus at bay if you can, my Pancreatitus was caused by trauma, and I live with it constantly. As my attacks were so severe, it caused my liver to fail, I had a transplant in 2007, so what I am trying to say, not just to you, but to everyone, do whatever you can to stop your attacks. Each attack will leave a little bit of scar tissue to the Pancreas if the attacks are regular! take care, and be pain free
  • Posted

Hi there.  How are you now?  I have had a similar experience.  My attack was 4 weeks ago and I was just getting on better with eating then was sick this weekend after a pint of orange juice.  Really worried.
    • Posted

i can only talk from my experience, have had an acute attack in november.

Suffered a lot of paranoia and felt realy bad sometimes; all sorts of pains and generaly feeling miserable.

I must say and i have read a lot about it that it takes about 2 months to recover a bit and 6 months for total recovery.

Give it some time and watch your diet (cancel out the orangejuice)

For me i am feeling good again but it was a longer time as i expected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.