how long do the withdrawls last when going off Effexor?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I was taking 37.5 mg Effexor capsules and dr upped it to 75mg about 1 1/2 years ago. I have been slowly tapering off the 75 and just using the 37.5. I had gone on Effexor years ago when some family issues arose along with losing our house in a fire in 2013. Plus the dr said it would help with menopause symptoms since I was taken off hormones after my being on them for 15 years. So had been on the 37.5 capsules for many years. 

This week has been 5 days without a pill. MAN, my head feels woozy, insomnia, and hot flashes have taken over. I read taken fish oil and drink lots of water plus lay off the sugar would help. Laying off sugar is no problem as I am doing the Keto/Low Carb diet. Just started taking the fish oil yesterday. 

BUT how long will this last? Normally I have no problem at all sleeping. Last night even after drinking a cup of Sleepy time tea, I was awake until 3am and then woke up at 7:45! 

Plus the heat from summer in the south is not helping at all! 

How long does this last? Anything else I can do? IF I could just get rid of the "woozy wonky" head feeling I could deal with hot flashes and lack of sleep. (maybe) 

Thank you in advance! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am in a similar spot. Have been taking 150 milligrams for years. Recently decided to try and stop. Each week I would cut my dose by 20 milligrams. Been a challenge but was managing until this past week when I went from 20 milligrams to 10. To say I am a MESS is an understatement. I am dizzy, nauseous, can’t stop crying over nothing and at this point am ready to restart the meds. I have been sober for almost 8 years and I can honestly say that getting off booze was easier than stopping this stuff.  How are you feeling today?  Can you tell me why YOU decided to stop?  I feel like the only person who can truly understand how I am feeling right now, both physically and mentally, is someone who is/has been thru this. 
    • Posted

I was feeling good, felt like I was in a good place since our house fire, had done ok since going off hormones and did not want to be on it anymore. Felt like it had been too long plus the money. Emotionally I am ok. It is the hot flashes, woozy/wonky head, and not sleeping that is bothering me. 

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Hope it gets better for you. I don't have the nausea or crying thank goodness. I am trying to keep busy painting furniture pieces and decorating this house. Tonight I just want to sleep! 

• Posted

How about trying taking a 37.5mg pill every second day - this might reduce the withdrawal  symptoms.

Then when used to that, take a pill every third day. You get the idea.

• Posted

Good morning. Just getting off these meds myself and my Dr has advised against doing it this way. Best to go cold turkey once your used to 37.5 mg’s
  • Posted

Hi reading your post and the others....i have read a lot about venlafaxine withdrawal.....also been forced to incresse and drop 37.5mg's at a time due to my dr pushing my dose up when it shouldnt have been done and me not being able to handle the higher dose!!!

From what i have read the ONLY way to reduce venlafaxine with the fewest of side effects is to do it very very slowly over a long period of time with very small reductions. Going by a site that knows about this stuff ( cant remember the name at the moment!) a decrease should never be more than 10% of your overall dose. This is done easier if you use capsules and not tablets like myself.

Hope this helps one of you.

• Posted

Thanks everyone. 

I have had success in going off this is seems. I am not a dr so please check with your dr before trying anything. 

I tried taking extra fish oil/omega 3 and it does seem to have worked. I still have some moodiness and extra heat at night. But nothing a small fan by the bed has not handled. 

Overall I feel pretty good and am pleased to know I am off this med even though they did help when I needed it. 

Take care of yourself! Please check with your dr and google/read everything! 

• Posted

Hey Juju. I am also getting of Ven. I have done a lot of reading about dep and anx and plan on tackling it through exercise. Getting off Ven is challenging to say the least. I’m on day31 and still have a bit of the zaps but not as severe as when I first stopped. I also take omega capsules and I take Vit C to go along with it.   I also read that you should not drink coffee but darn I love my coffee!!!  Lol. But do drink lots and lots of water. Good luck on your journey and stay positive......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.