how long do we give ssri's?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sertraline 5weeks and had enough some improvements but still low and dull sad wen I flu it took 12weeks though. Feeling lost.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have found it an uphill struggle with sert 6wks 6 days not that I'm counting. But have had a few good days . Did have a panic attack Monday but took valium. I've found I'm better when I get a good night's sleep. Which is every other day at the moment. But today I've been to work come home cut the grass and sat in the sun which made me feel a bit better ☺
  • Posted

Hello there Rachel

So sorry you are "feeling lost". I wanted to reply because I said exactly the same about myself to a friend just a couple of weeks ago, so I thought my comments may carry more weight if I have had a similar experience.

I take Sertraline Rachel. I've been taking the maximum permitted dose for some time now, and my body has more or less tolerated the drug and the side-effects that were unpleasant at the beginning, are much more bearable.

I do remember that it was longer than five weeks before I felt any improvement. I spoke to my doctor after two or three weeks, but he recommended I stick with them and give them a chance to work, providing the unpleasant effects weren't unbearable.

You know I'm sure that anti-depressants take time to work, and the amount of time varies from one person to another. I know some people who have reported an improvement after only two weeks, whereas others have said it was nearly two months. That's the challenge for the Doctors and I'm sure it's not an easy judgement for them. Some people end up 'experimenting' (medically prescribed of course) with several different drugs until one seems to suit them and produce results.

One of the things that many people overlook is that with any anti-depressant, it is quite common for the patient to feel worse on the meds before they feel better. That's why many stop taking them too soon.

I sense from your post that the "lost" feeling may be linked with some confusion over what you should do. I certainly would not recommend you take more or less tablets, or stop taking them altogether, without informing your Doctor first. You'll need him/her on side to get through this rough patch, and when patients start to self-medicate, it can damage the trust that usually exists between the two of you.

I sincerely hope this feeling passes very son. I know exactly what you mean, and have some idea of what you are feeling. I know it's horrible, but I wouldn't necessarily associate it with your meds before you spoken to your Doctor.

I genuinely send you my best wishes and hope you get through this in double-quick time.  :-)

• Posted

My doctor said to increase to 75mg but I'm too scared as I have in the past made things really crazy after a increase. I also get very dizzy and disconnected on SSRI drugs for quite some time till it passes. I just want to be me again and I feel scared it won't ever go. I'm becoming moody and snappy too now sad
  • Posted

Dear Rachel

Every single one of those feelings, moods, and physical sensations, are all recognised side-effects of Sertraline (and many other drugs). If you have been advised to increase your dose to 75mg, then I thnk you should consider that advice seriously.

Perhaps one solution would be to step it up gradually? For example, try 75mg and see how you feel. If it's bad, you can afford to miss a day, take your old dose on that day, and then try the 75mg the next day.

Or, maybe just two days a week you could take the 75mg, then three days, then four and so on, allowing your body to adjust.

I hope thse suggestions may be helpful, but do remember, all the other feelings you've described are pretty typical side-effects. Please try not to add worry about them to the problems you are already dealing with. You can overcome this. I know you can. :-)

• Posted

When first diagnosed with depression I was prescribed Citalopram which was given 6 weeks no change!!! Then I was given Sertraline, then Mirtazapine and for the last few years on and off Paroxetine (otherwise known as Seroxat). We all react to these meds in different ways! Mirtazapine made me pile on weight which I have to say did nothing for my self esteem which just impacted more on my depression!!!!!! 
  • Posted

I have been on tablets for depression aniexty sleeping disorder.. and yea tablets do work for some but not all for me it took over 15monthes to seea good effect but my problems are where I live so i cant do much I have to fight on...
  • Posted

I would personally say that if you have felt no improvement after 8 weeks, then go back to your doctor.  Like you say it sometimes takes longer than that. 

See how you feel after a few more weeks.  Some anti depressants suit some people and not others.  We have to give them time to see if they suit us. 

• Posted

Thanks guys . I am better then I was but I was a total anxious depersonalised mess!!!!! I'm just up and down by the hour its crazy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.