How long do we have Barrett - when it is diagnosed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

6 month´s ago I was diagnosed (male, 42yr, BMI 22) with a Short Barrett without dysplasia after a 3 months cough.

Because my esophagus was complete clear - no strictures, no esophagitis - nothing ( instead of the barrett ) my docs believes that I have the Barrett nearly 20 years!

Has anyone asked how old is a barrett at diagnosis?

Beside all the statistics, numbers and so on I never read something about the age of an barrett.

I think this will be a crucial factor, or ?

All the best....

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sorry but this dont make sense if you have barretts it can not just clear up by its self i was told 2 yrs ago i had it and will have to take pills for the rest of my life but could have an op to help

• Posted

hi david,

i still have the barrett but on initial diagnosis the rest of my esophagus has no signs of bruning actions (no esophagitis, no strictures, nothing) - therfore my doc belives that i must have the barrett a long time... thats the point i´m confused.

(I know that barrett don´t disapear)

• Posted

You may well have had it a few/many years as none of us know we have it until it is diagnosed.I often wonder how long I had mine before it was diagnosed. There are many many people walking about who have it and don't know they have it so at least ours is being monitored and will be acted upon if it develops any further (a very low percentage ever go on to develop anything further to put your mind at rest).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.