How long do you bleed after histeroscopic myomectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I had Histeroscopic Myomectomy four weeks ago. I have been having blood drop since then especially when I walk around during the day or urinate and it stops in the evenings when i move less. I have been taking the pill without a stop week for already 2-3 months, because now i am worried that if I stop it would bleed more. I am only seeing the doctor in two weeks and when i call to ask for an earlier appointment the secretary tells me that its completely normal and i should not worry about it. Has anyone experienced this? Thank you so much for your help!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Niya- yes, that's what I've experienced personally. Back in October I had a Laparoscopic and Hysteroscopic Myomectomy at the same time. I had bleeding just as you described for 4 weeks. Then, 3 weeks ago on Jan 30th. I had another Hysteroscopic myomectomy (they couldnt get everything during the first one) and I'm still having bleeding, consistent with last time, and almost exactly how you describe. Everyone is different, and my doctor says its completely normal. Its frustrating, but it should stop soon.

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

Thank you so much for your reply! It calms me down now that i know that others are experiencing the same so it is indeed normal and we should have faith and be patient until

everything normalises. So you didn't have a clue that they had not taken everything out with the first Hysteroscopic myomectomy? How many inracavitary fibroids did you have? I had one about 3 cm and they said they managed to remove all of it. Also I had not stopped the pill for 3 months now to prevent more bleeding (before the procedure to prevent cloths together with trenaxamine acid and now still to prevent more bleeding). I still have 4 fibroids but they are on the outside and are not big so the GYN said they should not cause abnormal bleeding like the one they removed. I also want to try to get pregnant coming year but they said i don't have to remove them to get pregnant so i guess ill take the chance although i read that fibroids may cause complication during pregnancy. I hope your recovery goes well, please keep me posted. Thank you dear!

• Posted

Niya- yes, it's so helpful to see others having the same issues so you dont feel alone, or worried. I had 3 fibroids. All 3 different types. 1 in the cavity(about 3 or 4 cm I think, almost filling my cavity), 1 on the outside, and one in my uterine muscle(grapefruit size). The plan was to get all 3 in one procedure. However, during the Hysteroscopic portion, the fibroid was a bit bigger than anticipated, and because of the ratio of fluid going into my body during the procedure, he just didnt have time to get all of it before he had to stop because he was using too much fluid, and it was unsafe. So I went back to get the remainder removed.

Your story is very similar to mine. I've continuously taken birth control as well, but since August, because I had an episode of extremely heavy bleeding that actually landed me in the ER. I've been terrified ever since. Before that, I was taking the transexemic acid too. I should be good now, I'm just putting off my period until I know I have fully recovered. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your reply! So you have been on the pill for a while as well. In that case I think its also best to wait until the next meeting with the GYN before stopping the pill. I am glad everything is going well, must have been a shock going to ER. Are you also anemic? I actually had a check up blood test which showed that my Hemoglobin had dropped to 4,1. They called me on new years eve from the hospital to ask how i feel and if i need blood transfusion. That really shocked me as i didn't know what was going on at the time. I had been bleeding heavily with cloths for about an year and i was getting really tired fast lately when climbing stairs and had been having a bit of chest pain. But had no idea this was linked to the heavy bleeding. Anyway much calmer now, we have to have faith and be patient. Good luck to you too and keep me posted : )

• Posted

Hi niya...

Congratulations one thing I will tell you is just be positive... I had two fibroid outside my womb and went through two full term pregnancy... At the moment I am knee on taking the fibroid out as It is symptomatic and makes me anemic... Which is affecting my general wellbeing. My gynaecologist had suggested Novasure fibroid treatment... Which I accepted but found out days before my procedure that it may not be appropriate for me considering I had two c sections.My next appointment is next month I intend to suggest a laparoscopic myomectomy... 🤞

• Posted

Dear Ngozie,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It gives me hope that I can still have a child. How heavy is your anemia? Do you know your Hemoglobin level? If its too low

it is nideed not good for other organs as well. Do you have heavy bleeding every month? Is the fibroid submucosal? I was told they cause the heavy bleeding or a large intermural one. What exactly is the Novasure treatment? Good luck with choosing the best treatment option, I hope everything goes smoothly and you have an easy recovery! Keep me posted.

Regards,

Niya

• Posted

Hi niya,

Thank you very much

My period is constantly heavy I am on iron liquid any near miss give me headache and I look pale. For every blood test my hb is low and the last scan It had shows I have intramural fibroid. Novasure endometrial ablation is a procedure that is usually five minutes designed to remove the uterine lining that causes heavy bleeding. My gynaecologist suggested Mirena coil and I objected it because it could worsen my bedding as research suggest The chest pain I experience can't be explained. My next appointment is on the 17th of next month to discuss the open laparoscopy myomectomy option. I will definitely keep you posted on my outcome... How long did you stay in the hospital and how long was the surgery.

Which hospital did you have your surgery

Remain positive you will be fine.

• Posted

Hi Ngozie,

I did not know that Novasure was an option. I also though that only intracavity submucosal fibroids cause the heavy bleeding. But now i am reading that larger intramural fibroids can also cause it. I also have two intramural ones but I think they are smaller thats why they removed the intracavity one which caused me having big cloths every month. I am wondering though is the Novasure not only a temporary solution? If you do the laporoscopic surgery are you doing the normal or the robotic one? In which country are you doing it? I love in Holland and to be honest I do not know what are the options here. I am planning to change my diet completely now and do whatever is possible to shrink them naturally. I did Hystereoscopic Myomectomy, I went back home the same day in the evening. It is not an open surgery so the pain is less afterwards. I dod feel week for the first one-two weeks, now I have more energy and i am still on iron pills. I do have still some bleeding when i walk and urinate and its been alost 5 weeks now but they say its normal when I call in the hospital and I am meeting the doctor on th 6th of march. Dont worry about the chest pain, I also had chest pain it is related to the low hemoglobin. Now that my HB is higher i do not have chest pain any more or rarely. I do have numb hands and legs sometimes but thats also because of low HB. Stay positive and dont worry everything will be fine. Keep me posted 😃

• Posted

Hi Jessica,

I was wondering how you are doing? Hope you are recovering well. As for me I tested my blood levels and my HB is back to normal 8.7 for which I am very grateful. I feel more energy as well.

I still have drops of blood if i walk longer and sometimes when i urinate. Its been 5 weeks now but the doctor said it is normal. I am seeing a doctor again in the 6th or march. How are you feeling? Hope you are keeping well!

Regards,

Niya

• Posted

Hi Niya and Jessica,

Thanks for sharing your stories. It is nice to know that I am not alone in my fibroid bleeding and treatment journey.

I had a hysteroscopy and resection (removing the fibroid in little slices) 3 weeks ago and had a little bit of post-surgical bleeding and discharge. It is mostly tapering off now. I will finish my round of Esmya/Fibristal in 3 weeks; my gynecologist prescribed me tranexamic acid but I have not yet needed it as my period won't restart until the medication is finished. I am crossing my fingers that I won't need more procedures.

• Posted

Dear Poplar,

Thank you for sharing. Yes it really helps being in touch with others who are experiencing the same process of recovery. I am only seeing my gynecologist on the 6th of march and he has not prescribed me tranexamic acid at this point and I decided to continue my pill until then, because I still have dropping blood when I walk more and urinate during the day and letting my period come at this point scares me a bit because I am also building up my Hemogobin level due to the anemia. Are you also anemic and taking iron supplements? I hope everything goes well and we all recover well and the periods normalise again so that we can be 100% again and back to nomral.

Keep me posted.

Grt,

Niya

• Posted

Hi Niya and all,

My anemia got really bad last fall - I was down almost to the level where I would have needed a transfusion had it gotten any worse. My gynecologist put me on Fibristal (ulipristal acetate, sold as Esmya in the UK). It is a "selective projesterone receptor modulator" which causes fibroids to shrink and in most women (myself included) causes your period to stop. She also sent me for intravenous 3 iron infusions to quickly bring up my iron before the surgery. Both of these things brought my iron up again, fast.

I am still taking iron supplements. After my period starts up again, I will ask for another hemoglobin + ferratin test.

The Fibristal worked really well - but it makes me fatigued and drowsy. I have one more week to go and then I'll wait and see what my period is like when it comes back.

Good luck, everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.