How long do you keep gaining weight while on Amitriptyline?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on amitriptyline for almost a year and have since gained about 5 pounds above my normal weight despite increased cardio exercise and reduced caloric intake. What will trajectory look like? Is there a point where you reach a plateau in weight gain? Frustrating because the 50mg I've been taking has greatly reduced my pain. I have chronic bladder pain or IC. Would like hear from others that have been on amitriptyline for several or more years.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

A few things come to mind:

1. Amitriptyline worked for me with bladder pain and works for many people;
    2. Amitriptyline is known to work well on people with IC;
    3. I do not recall being told or ever read that Ami causes weight gain;
    4. Could you function as well on a lower dose? Assuming the Ami is causing

the weight gain, it is reasonable to conclude that a lower dose will result in less weight gain; and

5. Check if ANY other meds you're on interact negatively with Ami. This is often the case.

Best of luck!

• Edited

I've also been on Amitriptyline for a year and have decided to start tapering off due to weight gain. I'm currently taking 32.5mg for neuropathic pain (which has improved considerably) but I'd like to try and manage my condition without the meds (or the extra weight).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.