how long do you really need to wait to have sex after cystoscopy and dilation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a urethral dilation and cystoscopy about 6 days ago. The urologist didn't say anything to me after the procedure except it went well. On my discharge instructions it said not to have sex until you see your doctor again and they OK it. Well, I was feeling pretty good the other day meaning my bladder was fine. I was peeing every 4 to 5 hours (was 1-2 before dilation). And my boyfriend and I were cuddling on the couch and one thing led to another. He agreed that if it hurt or made me uncomfortable to stop. I was a little apprehensive about having sex because I knew in my head I was told not to. But he was really gentle and easy and sex didn't hurt one bit! I immediately went pee after (always do to avoid UTI) and there was some slight pink blood--nothing too serious. 

Well, it's been 2 days since my endeavor and I'm back to where I was before the dilation. Sitting down long periods of time makes my pelvis feel like I'm being poked with a stick, there's a slight burning sensation which I can't tell if it's coming from my vagina or urethra. It doesn't hurt to pee or anything like that. But I am having the urge to go again quite frequently. I would like to think sex wouldn't be the cause of this but I honestly don't know. I woke up this morning with a lot of clear discharge down there and was quite itchy but after my shower, the itchiness went away.

I've had yeast infections before that have gotten so bad that the yeast has grown into my urethra causing burning and constant urination but I wanna be sure what I'm dealing with so I don't go to the doctor and say it's a yeast infection and it really not be; it's more of my bladder condition. I honestly don't know what to do. Is it possible my dilation didn't work? Would having sex too soon really be the cause of this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

did you ever get back to your Dr? you know, to get the 'ok' to have sex? Even if you are embarrassed about doing it before he gave you the 'all clear', I think you ought to see him...He is the one that reads the results, right? Go ahead, and make the appointment...you are not the first (nor will you be the last) that hadn't followed the Dr's orders to a tee.  I am sure he will understand! smile
    • Posted

Yes, i got back to him. I had a urine culture done and it came back fine. I am feeling better now. I don't know what was wrong but at least it's better now. Thank you.
  • Posted

What were the cystoscopy and dilation for? If you have painful bladder syndrome or interstitial cystitis, penetrative sex can cause a flare. I can have sex sometimes without any problems but most of the time I will have burning and urgency for a few days afterwards. Sometimes it's pretty bad. It really is a non issue for my BF who is happy to do anything that doesn't cause me pain afterwards. It's hard to accept that you may not be able have penetrative sex regularly but good and intimate sex is so much more than just that.
    • Posted

I have had bladder issues since 18 years old. I got my first UTI at 18 and it developed into a kidney infection because I was young and stupid and wasn't aware what a UTI was until it was too late. And since then I have gone to the doctor about 5-6 times a year complaining of UTI symptoms and just about every urine test would come back negative. As of the past year, I noticed things seemed to flare up. I'd be fine for awhile and then all of a sudden have a bout of cystitis. Finally, I was referred to a uroligist and after a bladder diary, watching what I eat, and some medications designed to relieve urgency, leakage, and frequency, they wanted to do a cystoscopy and dilation. The dilation was to stretch my urethra since he thought it may have been too narrow and that's what is causing the problems.
    • Posted

Well I know that the dilation brings relief, sometimes for months on end, to a lot of people with these problems. Fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.