How Long do you Stay on Soft Diet

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone,

3 days on liquid diet. Started soft diet yesterday. How long until you start introducing fiber? Is it a set number of days?

Also how do you avoid constipation while on soft diet? Stool softener, a little Metamucil?

Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Randy

There are no set rules. I usually tay on soft foods until the paingoes away and then I start adding in one food at a time. I think a lot of people use a Metamucil type product but my colorectal surgeon said to use Mirilax if I get constipated. I eat potatoes (no skin) and cooked carrots and I don't get constipated. Hopefully more people willhave some other ideas.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I do Metamucil liquid diet and soft food diet gave me diahrea along with antibiotics so b careful about stool softener while on this regimen! My doc says no longer than 5 days on soft food diet I did it 16 days before I got into her office lost 22 lbs fiber is a tricky one add slowly eat small meals are you on antibiotics or trying to prevent a flare up
    • Posted

I was curious  about Why Randy was doing soft diet.I am a victim of the cursed disease, along with a horror of wondering (DR.Says no ) If Hernia mesh is also a huge problem for me . So i made a list of the foods that I could not digest, and yes most folks  on this forum abstain from most  of the  foods on my list-

I have used these two items and have cut BR visits from 8-9 to Three and some days two. I do the Apple cider with the mother, I mix it  and drink according to a health experts advice. I eat onions (in most  forms , raw/cooked (not fried) and that has helped my IBS.C  more than medicine-  I'm not educated highly , and old as dirt, so my writing may not be all that understandable.

• Posted

Thanks joe your experience is helping us new to this devastating disease I'm sorry our old age is far from the Golden Years 😣

• Posted

Thanks to everyone that responded. I'm on day 8 of 10 of antibiotics. I'm on a soft/low fiber diet (same thing?) because I thought you pretty much had to to give your colon a break and allow the inflammation to go away. I don't believe I had any infection. My Dr. likes to prescribe antibiotics to be on the safe side. Still a little residual pain like when I bend over. As far as constipation I wondered if I could start a little Metamucil now to insure that I don't get constipated. Eventually I plan on using it daily because it seems like a lot of people use it on these posts and that the last thing you want is constipation.

Please chime in with your opinions because now I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks

• Posted

Apple cider vinegar mixed with what? Thank you for your advice. 🙏🤗

• Posted

I was afraid to get off of a liquid/soft diet for about a month. I was including soft oatmeal and lots of water. So I had no constipation. I've been symptom free for about 90 days now. I make sure to eat oatmeal daily along with lots of water and eat pretty much everything a normal diet.

• Posted

Hi Pecan, I’m still afraid to go back to eating normal, lost 40 lbs in 5 months now. What diet do you go by. Or did you go by when you started introducing foods back in. Your lucky if you didn’t have to change your diet. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.