How long does a 10mg propranolol last and does it effect exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello been on propranolol for around 3-4 months. Mainly for anxiety caused by glandular fever virus. Ive been taking one 10 mg tablet per day around 4 -5 pm. It does work and I am grateful. I have  a few questions about this medication though bit late asking about it now I know but just curious I suppose.

1. When taking one 10 mg pill how long does it normally last.

2. I like to exercise but as soon as I take it im scared to do anymore exercise like cycling. Is it OK to exercise once you take one.

3. I was thinking of withdrawal from propranolol just to see whether I can hack not being on the medication. However Im a bit too nervous about coming off in case of unwanted withdrawal effects it says on the packet you can't win ha ha. If anyone has withdrawn from these tablets. Please let me know how you got one with doing it.

Like I say I was put on them for anxiety caused by glandular fever. No heart issue just the anxiety.

Thank you for any replies people

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jelley93...I can assure you, things are just fine!!! Don't be concerned about long the effects of the pill last when taking it.  Do not be scared to exercise. Most definitely, it's ok to exercise. Doctors encourage people to exercise. 

What you MAY find is that your heart rate is slower...because of the Propranolol. It's a beta-blocker, & beta blockers

slow the heart rate. 

Do not withdraw from any medications without consulting your Dr. Beta-blockers must be weaned.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

It looks like the basic drug is short-acting, and is generally given in slow-release form.  So just figure the dose is meant to last for one day.

?All advice is to taper off over a week or two, I'm not even sure how you do that, unless you get small-dose non-slow-release, and take those at increasing intervals.

• Posted

Hello

I’ve just been told to take this drug by my doctor. I’m already so fatigued from glandular fever but the anxiety takes over at times.

Did it work for you? And what part of the day did you take it? 

Thankful for any feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.