How long does a severe hand/multiple fingers injury take to fully heal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

A very heavy table fell on my hand and my three middle fingers were snapped between the big knuckles and middle knuckles, along with a wrist fracture, top of hand radial nerve deep bruise. It was gruesome. I had surgery. it went well. Everything appears to be intact. (the image was from week 3) the pins are all out. I've been working with a hand therapist for 3 weeks since pin removal. I've had great improvement, but...My fingers are still swollen, I can't lower my hand-must keep it elevated, always. The knuckles feel frozen in place despite the fact I can bend them with the other hand. They won't move on their own. I'm not quite able to straighten the fingers yet. I've been putting myself through painful stretching, bending, and all sorts of prescribed exercises. I had one round of ultrasound. So, how long (best case scenario) until the swelling goes away, and the fingers move normally? Has anyone been through a terrible hand injury that required a long recovery? Must I endure intense pain stretches to get the fingers moving, or does mild stretching help too, but take longer...Just want to hear your stories if they are similar.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I have no experience like yours but I fell and had 3 breaks in my ankle. They did surgery to place pins and a plate (not removable) in my ankle. It took 3 months to heal enough to even start therapy. I'm not sure when the swelling went away but it was quite a while. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. I think he /she needs to know.

• Posted

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have any residual pain, limitations, or discomfort now that it's healed?

I had rehab today and she said just straightening my fingers all the way could take till the end off summer. Seems like forever.:(I'm trying to focus on the small gains and be happy that I continue to see improvement.

• Edited

It's been 1 year and 4 months and my ankle is great. And I'm an old lady of 58. You can do this just keep plugging away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.