How long does an IC flare last?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hey! after a urine infection last year i had really bad irritated bladder. Interstitial cystitis/ painful bladder. I was told to take d mannose and it completley cured me.

Anyway, for a few days (2 so far) i have had some of the symptom. Happened few days after sex & have got a period so might just be that. dip test clear and urine sent off to lab to double check but if its not a infection im guessing a flare? how long will it last?

bella

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Bella

My IC flares can last from a few days to a couple of weeks.

I follow the IC diet though and this has helped me a lot. You can find it on google. It's about trying to reduce the amount of acid you eat and drink.

Since starting this I have not had a flare for about 6 months.

I hope this helps and you get some relief soon.

• Posted

thanks for this!! i will look it up. yeah since i first got it and then seemingly solved the problem, this is the first what i would call flare! So i am a bit upset as it has been months. 😦 will i always now flare through my life or does it really depend on the individual? x

• Posted

hi shirley, just wanted to ask your advice about something else. As i mentioned, symptoms started on monday, saw doctor tuesday, then culture came back friday and got antibiotics then. after 3 antibiotics last night, i experienced a bit of a fever and chills. i havent had any back pain but is this something that can happen with a uti? obviously i was experiencing symptoms for four days before they gave me antibiotics but i know many women try to flush it out on their own for a few days before treatment anyway so im sure its fine but naturally im worrying as im flying to scotland today. im on trimethoprim , would this protect my kidneys too?

Bella

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.