How long does colon cancer take to develop?

Posted , 6 users are following.

On an average; how long does it take for Colon Cancer take to spread and cause life threatening  Symtomps?

Example:

1 year, 2 Year, etc.

I’m just curious since I’ve experienced Colon Cancer symtomps for about 5 years consistently without change. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's important to see your doctor for a coloscopy. This is the best way to have identification of any polyps found in the colon and they are removed before they become cancerous. See the patient information here on the forum for more information.

I have colonscopy every 3 years due to polyp development .The polyps are removed before they reach the opposite side of the colon during colonscopy. This is preventative measures against any become cancerous. It is usually done when polyps are discovered thru first coloscopy and then if no polyps are found then every 8-10 years coloscopy is recommended. If they are found it takes 3-5 years to reach the opposite side of the colon in most cases. It's best to check with your doctor to see if you have the gene for colon cancer as they can determine a schedule for tests. 

See eve your doctor immediately if you have any symptoms .... Best to be safe and be accertive with our healthcare.

• Posted

What are your symptoms?
    • Posted

Abdominal Pain

(Dull) (relieved by lying down)

Blood in Stools

(Occasionally )

Slight constipation

Bloating

• Posted

If you are very young, cancer is rarer.  Your symptoms could be from any number of things including polyps, IBS or IBD.  Sometimes you can get bleeding from fissures or haemorrhoids if you have to strain for a bowel movement. Blood from these causes is typically bright red.    

If you haven’t seen a doctor I would recommend that you see one especially since you have had bleeding.  Tests will rule in/out possible causes.

• Posted

I think is 5 years . My father had colon cancer because the way he eats and he did not go when he was 50 when they discover he was stage 4 and was on the outside of his anus.  He had adenocarcinoma .  Due to that I have been going every 5 yrs and on March 16 I will go again for the 3rd time.  I’m 48 I had polyps at 37 and I didn’t at 42. 

Everyone is different but my father was bleeding, and the doctor keep telling him was hemorrhoids which he had on top of it and his prostate was inflamed and it was the tumor growing . He pass away in 2010 his cancer mestasese to his lungs and brain . 

• Posted

I may add the blood sometimes is cause by constipation and fisures and hemorroids. I will post the outcome. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.