How long does day time tiredness last?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Quick question, I’m on 50 mg sertraline and have been for about 7 1/2 weeks, it is working so well for my GAD no problems there, but I’m so freaking tired during the day. I take my tablet in the morning by the way. How long does the tiredness last I’ve heard months even years! Would love to hear from people with the same issue!! Thanks and God bless

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe!

Im only 3 weeks and 3 days with this med... 10 with 25mg and 10 wirh 50mg. Also pretty tired!

I am a bit concern by reading that you are still tired! Hope it really goes away cause I cant stand not having energy.

• Posted

Yeah having no energy is a drag to say the least. I’m not tired everyday I usually have a few days where I’m good to go and then I’ll have a day or two where I just feel sleepy most of the afternoon. I’m sure it’s just a side effect because I had about everyone you could have in the first 3 weeks or so. Now all those are gone except the occasional sleepyness 
  • Posted

Joe I have the same problem but I have been on mine for three weeks.  I am going to start taking mine tomorrow night.  Since you are almost on 8 weeks you should be sleeping better.  If you take it in the evening you will do better in the daytime
    • Posted

Hey acfierros, my sleep is starting to get a little better and some days I’m fine as far as energy goes, other days I’m tired almost all afternoon long! I think I will have to start taking my tablet in the evening. Thanks for you reply and suggestion!! 
  • Posted

Are you guys tired from the time you wake up and the rest of the days? Cause thats actually my case. So dont know if taking at bedtime will make me more tired again when I wake up???

Keep and update if you take in at night... Im curious to know!

• Posted

I’m usually tired until mid afternoon or early evening but I somehow get more energy as the day goes on. Im seriously thinking about starting to take my tablet at night. I take mine somewhere between 8-9am right now. 50 mg 
  • Posted

Which to night.  I take mine right before bed and I sleep better and when I wake up I’m usually wide awake which is odd.  
    • Posted

Hey there Alf Alf, i think that’s what I’m going to start doing, is your anxiety ok during the day even though you take your tablet at night? 
    • Posted

I'm wondering about the anxiety too during the day if you take at night ? Great question!!

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline, I think I’m going to post this question and see if I can get some responses, from what I hear it doesn’t make a difference day or night but that is really just hearsay unfortunately. I would still like to hear from some people who take their tablet at night. If I find info I’ll gladly keep you posted. Have a great day
  • Posted

Hi Joe. yeah im the same, im on week 8 now 150mg, feeling better, but i take mine at 9.30am and im tiered most of the day, usually have to go back to bed for an hour or two come 2/3 in the afternoon, then come about 7 at night im feeling ok again. i originaly took it at night, but it stopped me sleeping, but im sleeping better at night now, so i might try changing to night as well. let me know how you get on.

also, how do people change from morning to night?? Do you just miss your normal morning dose and wait till night, or do you take it as usual in the the morning, and then take again at night? thats always kinda puzzled me, lol

• Posted

Hi Gordon, you bring up a very good point about how to change from day to night, I’ve wondered that myself. I had someone tell me the best way to do it is on a day to day basis. For example if we take our tablet around 9 am then the next day take it around 10 or 11 then the next day take it around 12 or 1 then day after 2 or 3 until you hit the nighttime your looking for. So it’s almost like tapering up instead of tapering down. 
  • Posted

ah yeah! i thought about that two, but wasn't sure. That seems a better way to do it tho. Thanks.

• Posted

I took mine 4 hours before bed each night. This helped me not feel so tired. The beginning zombie state lasted me a good month then seemed to get better each week after. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you Becky, it’s good to know this will slowly get better! Good luck with everything for you as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.