How long does diverticulitis last?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, I’m 39 male, was diagnosed with acute uncomplicated sigmoid diverticulitis on a CT scan 12 days ago. Pain has been ongoing on and off for 2 weeks. I was given 5 days of flagyl and keflex. I’m a little overweight (not much atall really) and fairly active with sports and exercise 2-4 days a week. After first course of pills, I was better than originally but the pain eventually came back. I had to go back to hospital and doctor this week after constipation, diharrea and then a little blood in the stool one day. Many days off work. 

They prescribed me another round of pills this time, 7 days. The doctor suspected the 5 day course was too short. Is this normal? Should I even ask for longer than 7 days?

I’m so scared because my real fear is, does this EVER go away or is there a possibility I’m stuck with it unless I get surgery. I’m hoping I will end up as one of the many who have one episode, and done, but right now it’s gone on two weeks and I can’t find any literature out there that says how long this inflammation is supposed to last. I love to travel and be active and this is really depressing me and giving me major anxiety because I don’t know if it will ever go away. 

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just wanted to let everyone know how my recovery is going.

Symptoms started May 10

Dx’ed with acute diverticulitis 3 weeks ago by CT scan (May 13)

First round of antibiotics finished May 18

Pain returned. 

Started second round of ABs May 24.

Finished ABs May 30.

Minor negligible pain persists but is Almost zero. It’s manageable with Tylenol. I drank a bottle of wine this weekend, which probably didn’t help, but I haven’t got worse as of this morning.

Its like, I can still feel something there, but if I didn’t know I had diverticulitis, I wouldn’t know anything was wrong. 

• Posted

Glad to hear you’re on the mend. My story is similar to yours.
    • Posted

I hope this is the end of it. I need to make travel plans for July. Will be asking my doctor for antibiotics to go. 
    • Posted

I wonder if it it typical that one round of antibiotics is not enough?  The same thing happened to me.  
    • Posted

I had to be on two rounds of antibiotics for a combined total of 30 days. Ughhh!
    • Posted

what was the antibiotics combo? Are you saying you had to take antibiotics for 30 days straight in a row? 
    • Posted

I was on 10 day round of antibiotics when diagnosed, no one gave me a diet plan after the liquid diet so then developed abcess so in hospital IV antibiotics and sent home on a 10 day round. It made me so sick. Took florastor probiotics, developed anxiety/panic attacks afraid to eat lost 32lbs . 

• Posted

Initially, i had a 10-day course of Cipro and Flagyl.  Once I finished that a few days went by and I was still having pain so they put me back on Cipro and Flagyl for 21 more days to prevent any flaring until  my colonoscopy (which was last Friday).
  • Posted

I am heading out of town this Saturday for a week and will be asking for antibiotics just in case. I’m kind of nervous about traveling but I think I’ll be okay as long as I stick to the bland low residue diet I’ve been on
    • Posted

Please let us know how it goes. I have a cruise in late July, hopefully will be better by then, but if not, it will suck at dinner because I won’t be able to eat much of the good food sad
  • Posted

Hi all

For those who are still following. I just wanted to update you on progress, as it’s good news and will hopefully will bring hope to some sufferers.

It’s been exactly 4 weeks since my first attack of diverticulitis occurred and I feel 90% confident saying I am out of the woods. I have almost zero pain now. My last set of symptoms was mostly twitching and cramping, for which I found a good OTC drug called Buscopan which calmed the abdominal area down and relieved the pain. Unfortunately it’s not available in the US.

Buscopan isn’t specifically indicated for pain related to Diverticulitis, but I feel that if you are in the post-acute phase, it may a good option if Tylenol or NSAIDs weren’t working. 

For me, I don’t think I have a particular food that triggers a flare-up, I think bowel habits and regularity have more to do with it. I feel that ANY food moving too slowly in your bowels and causing an “impaction” of drool in the sigmoid, is what will force feces into your diverticular pockets and possibly cause inflammation. So for me, the key is moderate fiber and to keep things moving. If that means taking a laxative once In a while, don’t be afraid to do that (especially suppositories). Stagnant poo in the colon is really bad for sigmoid diverticulitis.

I can’t speak to other areas of diverticulitis but I feel that for sigmoid, in the left bottom corner of the colon, stool impaction is key. If you find that it’s happening, take action to clear out your bowels. 

• Posted

It’s now been a month since my diagnosis of acute diverticulitis. I am just about over it. Only had a twinge of pain today for which I took 500mg Tylenol. I have been back to the gym all week and planning to play hockey tomorrow.

Sufferers, There is light at the end of the tunnel. Crossing my fingers that my young age and relatively good health will work in my favour here and this will hopefully be the only time I get acute diverticulitis for a long time to come.

• Posted

I am almost 60 and was diagnosed with diverticulitis about 5 years ago through a colonoscopy but have dealt w/ similar pain 10 years before that. I had an attack in May and was on antibiotics which cleared it up. One week ago I started developing mid to upper abdominal chest pain and ended up in Emergency. Many tests came back negative. I am awaiting an ultrasound. This pain is different from the D infection in May and more localized in mid abdomen left side. I don't know if its D related or not. I watch my diet and now don't know what to eat that will not trigger pain. Its awful and has sure put a damper on my life, travel plans, socializing etc. I drink tons of water, am physically active, not overweight, don't smoke, and just don't know what is causing this horrible stomach pain. Hearing from others with similar stories would be helpful

• Posted

I am 53, woman, diagnosed in July with Diverticulitis. I was doing fine until my second flare a few days ago. I'm curious where women feel pain. I am and have experienced pain and pressure in my vagina and rectum. Also my back and stomach pain is on the right side not the left side which is typical. Are there any woman out there that feel the pain where I do. I am currently on antibiotics and hoping to feel better soon.

• Posted

I've had diverticular disease for at least 7 years and get flare-ups about once every three months which last for about a week. However, as I get older I'm getting far more frequent flare-ups, about 2 days a week and am now tempted to have my colon resectioned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.