How long does Fluexotine take to work?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking it just over 8 weeks, I still feel numb most of the time and although not anxious anymore still feel depressed .i just want to feel interested in things again..

I don't really want to meet up with friends cos having to put a brave face on makes me feel worse sometimes.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Gina, I think by now you should be feeling the difference. The reason for feeling numb could be :

1. Increased to high for your needs during 8 weeks.

2. Not Increased enough, so not working as effective.

3. Or the medicine does not agree with you.

If its effecting your ability to function ( ie you cant feel comfortable out ) then your GP really should discuss options with you.

• Posted

I've had depression before but not taken tablets before.im on 20mg and have been from the start.

the doctor wouldn't increase the dose when I asked at 5weeks.

there is an improvement in how I'm coping it's just my low mood & apathy is still there sometimes.

i heard it can take 3 months for the full effect of Prozac...

• Posted

If you seem improvement and better coping then its doing its thing for you. Low mood and apathy need to be noted by your gp.
  • Posted

Hi Gina, 

I think I might agree with Jimmy's third point. They always say wait three months, but I always found that I felt the effects of the meds in one way or another much quicker than that. Is this the first antidepressant you have tried? If so, do not lose hope. It took me admittedly quite a while to find one that worked for me, and I very nearly gave up many times, but have finally found one that has basically changed my life. Research the effects of different meds - SSRIs, SNRIs, MOAIs, and what types of symptoms they work best for, and at what doses. I did this and discovered the one I am taking now and can honestly say I feel, after suffering from depression most of my life, that that feeling no longer seems possible. GPs and psychiatrists I spoke to all those years seemed to just pick the most popular ones and I always got the feeling they were just working through a list. But the information is out there and it can be quite specific, which can be useful if you analyse and try to understand the exact nature of your depression. Good luck, do not lose hope. It is not an incurable problem  

• Posted

I have tried Mitazapine twice and Citalopram and Im now on Venflaxine ( SNRI )
    • Posted

I am on moclobemide (manerix). but I don't think you should take reccomendations from other people, because different people can have completely different reactions. i remember a friend finding one that he said had 'cured' him and i asked my doctor for it, and all i got was a bunch of horrible side effects and no benefits. What I mean about research is that alot of tests are done, the results of which can be found online, and there can be a kind of average response for different types of individuals. Just be informed, read about everything your doctor prescribes you. I just accepted his and my psychiatrists judgement, which was based on very short meetings I would have with them, and ended up feeling very weak and lost in the process. And hopeless. I think it probably helped my depression to assert some control. Patience is the key, I know hopelessness is at the core of it all, but I somehow managed to cling on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.