How long does Gabapentin stay in the system..Still dizzy after 7 days.Will it cause damage?

Posted , 44 users are following.

I still feel light headed dizzy after a week off.  I took it for 4 months 500 to 600 mg per day. This drug is weird and should be look at more closley.  What do you all think. will withdrawals go away eventually?  

2 likes, 129 replies

129 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The medicine is out of your system in 6 days if you are an average person. Longer if you are very sensitive to medication. Even after it's out of your system, it can take weeks or months for your brain to recover. I have been off 6 months and still having discontinuation symptoms, including dizziness. I just met with my doctor recently who said this is very unusual since I was only on 100 mg for 6 months. It took me another 6 months to taper off it.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. This drug should not be given unless it is totally nessasary.  I been off for two weeks and still not my total self.
    • Posted

I also hope your feeling better Shammah.  How do you feel now?

Naomi

• Posted

I feel spacey off and on, jumpy with sudden sounds, dizzy off and on, stomach problems... I can't let my stomach be completely empty or I feel ill, pressure in my head, tinnitus, sensitivity to a lot of foods. I spoke to a girl who said she felt normal after a year being off the medication because she was so sensitive. I'm far more sensitive to meds than her. I'm hoping it won't take longer than a year for me to feel normal. Some people are fine after a couple months. I hope that is YOU! 

• Posted

I've been off since February and still not there! I too have stomach issues appetite not great, bloating, some stomach aches other than that everything else is good Took me a long g time to get here. (:

• Posted

I am feeling a whole lot better after down-dosing from 900-1200 mg/day to now less than 100 mg/day  ....over a period of 8 weeks.  I have very little withdrawal reactions now. Only a slight dizziness from time to time and some nervousness that comes and goes....but overall now I am doing great after having been on 900 to 1200 mg/ per day for 4 years......Im almost recovered....still I will contine taking about 50 mg/day for another month just to be sure.....regards  JB
    • Posted

100 mg for 6 months ? Yes, that just shows you how powerful this drug actually is. That has been my suspicion for s long time. The so called low dose may not actually be Low ?  Just think then how high the so called maintenance dose of  over 1200 mg/day ?  WOW ! something to think about.
    • Posted

thats almost incomprehensible. How are you now ? Are you off of it or in the withdrawal process? How is it going  at this time?
    • Posted

OK, I just read where you are now. Good Luck .  Hang in there ! We willall get completely free eventually. I'm hopefull of that.....I am already 99 %better than before withdrawing. 

• Posted

YOU ARE SO SWEET. I WILL PRAY FOR ALL OF US.  I BEEN OFF A MONTH OR SO AND I STILL FEEL SPACY AND LIGHT HEADED. PRESSURE SPIKES, AND I AM LOSING SOME WEIGHT. I DO NOT NEED TO LOSE ANYMORE. I AM 51 AND 5 FT 3 AND WEIGH 108. PLEASE LORD HEAL US...
    • Posted

naomi64, I have began to be more hopeful about a full recovery and the possibility of returning to a normal life soon.  My blood pressue goes really low, but then I wake up burning up, my blood pressure is not high though. My skin burns to the the touch, but my feet freeze most of the time. All blood pressure spiking issues which I recognize. I too have lost weight and have little to no appetite, but it's slowly coming back.

• Posted

How long until you felt somewhat normal. I was on 300mg before bedtime for nerve pain , for about a month, after fusion surgery. Ive been of for 10 days and just feel a vail of opression in my head...
    • Posted

How long for the dizziness to end? 10 + days and I'm a mess. 

• Posted

I was on 300mg daily for 7 months and was taken off abruptly. I was not wend off slowly. I am also very sensitive to medications, so the withdraws were really bad. I ended up in the ER twice. I have blackouts without blacking out. Just out of it not sure where I am, dizzy, jumpy with sudden sounds, and tinnitus really bad. I've been off of it for 5 months now and still have issues. I am starting to feel better due to what I eat. No sugar (it feeds the issue) and cutting back on gluten. This has really helped my stomach. I juice each day as well. I will say I'm scared that it did damage to my brain, because it gets bad at times. BUT with prayer I know God will take this away. I see that this post was 9 mons ago, are you feeling yourself again? Thanks

• Posted

I am so glad to see your post! EEEK! I am beginng to wean myself NOW after being on 3 / 300 mg caps a day. I am not going thru withdrawal again. I am a recovered Opioid and Valium addict. I don't know why my dr even prescribed Gabapentin for sure and I REALLY do not know why I got the Rx filled. The only Rx drugs I take regularly is my allergy Rx - hydroxyzine, which also helps with anxiety. Good luck all! Beth

• Posted

Shammah - looks like you posted this a year ago.  Did you completely recover from your withdrawal symptoms?  I'm five weeks off and having terrible mental symptoms (very out of it, brain fog, bad memory, anxiety and insomnia).  I need some hope that I will recover!

Thanks,

Amy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.