How long does gabapentin take to work

Posted , 33 users are following.

Been given gabapentin a week ago any idea how long it takes to work thanks 

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've been on them several months now on 1000mg 3 times a day still suffering pain driving me mad 
  • Posted

I'm on mmmmmmm about 1000mg a day but only medium relief. Need to up it but gabapentin is a dodgy drug with nasty side effects so im reluctant to do so and also guys be aware of getting tinnitus. Mines already started.
    • Posted

I just started it last night (300mg per day at night). I have read up on it and know there are some nasty side effects as you menitoned. I don't take any more drugs than I have to and turned down pain killers for this reason. I am one tough bird and the doctors are always telling me to not try being so tough. I usaully put up with something until it gets really serious and I have been admitted to the hospital on several occasions over my lifetime (I'm 64) for various things.  I hit the point where I could not take the pain any more this time. Too early to know if this will work for me and I am going to be monitoring the pain relief and the side effects.  I'm glad I found this forum.

• Posted

You need 2,800 gabepentin a day for it to really work.
    • Posted

If you take 2800mg/day your brain will be so numb you will not even be aware of any pain or almost any other thing either !  Don't do that !!

• Posted

You cannot make statements like this. I think you scrambled your brain with more than just gabapentin. 
  • Posted

Your body usually need 100 mg. To start, then 200 mg and by the end of the first month, you are ready for 3 per day. Maybe 4 depending on your level of pain. I tried to stick with 3 per day at night. But I'm starting to think 4 per day may be my ticket

• Posted

I just went and saw my Neurologist today and asked her the same question. I am on 800mg three times a day and she says to give it a week to see if it works or not. I am on my third day.
  • Posted

You should be feeling the affects by now. Your dosage? The condition for which it was precribed? Some will tell you it takes time to build up in your system. In part this is true, but you should feel it's pain relieving affects rather quickly. There are many factors. Best of luck.

• Posted

Started at 2 x 300mg per night. No relief. Then increased to 3 x 300mg per night and that worked for about 3 weeks. Then pain started increasing again, especially at night. My dr is suggesting extended release gabapentin. Not sure if this will make a difference. Are you familiar with the extended release?

My condition is neck fusion C4-C7 a few years ago, and multiple (4) bulging discs from the middle of back to S1. Also, I am told, some arthritis.

Tramadol does work, but my doctor is really uncomfortable with prescribing. I assume because it is an opiate. Have taken it before without any addictive issues.

• Posted

Everyone is different, its a fussy drug. It works for some and not at all or your dosage may need to be higher. I started about 2 weeks ago, ITS WORKS!! so here I was super happy to have relief after soooooooo many years! HOWEVER. .....I now have side effects like dizziness, tremors, gas, constipation, loss of balance, nausea, blurred vision.....ALL the fun stuff. ..so Im totally bumbed and hoping it goes away? If someone who has these sames side effects could you please respond and let me know, Id greatly appreciate it, will be calling Dr as well. Thanks, good luck.
    • Posted

You have fallen into the Gabapentin hole. It works, but, as you’ve seen, you need lots of it and you’ll need to sleep through it till you have surgery. Because you have sciatica because you have a bad back. So, that much Gab does indeed give you relief but it “f’s” you up. Get fused my friend

• Posted

I have bulging discs been on cocodamol for years and it's not working they have now put me on amitriptyline for night time and gabapentin during the day they've started me in 100mg twice a day and it's doing nothing, not a thing. Doctor said in two weeks he'll up the dose but I'll be honest I can't take the pain any long. I can't walk, can't air the pain is unbearable. Can I go back to doctors or do I have to wait till he ups it ?

Thanks

• Posted

I've been on gabapentin since July. Started on 100 mg 3 times daily but upped to 200 mg within a couple of days. That didn't help but spoke to my cousin who was on a much higher dose and with my Drs input, upped the dosage over the next few weeks to 600 mgs every six hours. This is working and I have been able to reduce the other painkillers drastically. Like you I gave herniated disc and awaiting surgery. Being relatively pain free is just incredible, I wish you luck. 

• Posted

I suggest an MRI and take it to a Neurosurgeon. Why are you okay with being in debilitating pain for somlong when there are surgical options. Go get fixed. This pain is miserable. Im waiting for my MRI DATE! 
    • Posted

I just saw your post os 2 yrs old. How are you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.