How long does Gallbladder Inflammation last?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had gallstones for over a year and the attacks have been more and more frequent (and more excruciating) every time. I had one one last Sunday and when the pain when away I still felt extreme nausea and tenderness in my abdomen. I could lie down at all so the next morning I went to a and e and they admitted me thinking I had a blockage in the common bile duct but after various test they found nothing but elevated liver enzymes so they think the stone popped back down into the gallbladder. They discharged me two days later and told me they would do the surgery in six weeksand by then the inflammation will go down but it's been a few days and the inflammation and slight tenderness ( just enough to be uncomfortable and annoying) is still there. I have health anxiety Aka hypochondria lol so you can imagine the places my mind is going! If anyone has had gallbladder problems likes stones etc, can the inflammation last more than a few days? I had it before but that was only for a day after the attack. I keep thinking the worst.

Thank you so much for reading to this point I did t mean for it to be so long!

(Also they didn't give me any anti biotics so I don't think it's an infection)

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Its probably acute cholecytitis, so should not last more than a week.

Do you have any weight loss ? 

Obstructive jaundice

• Posted

Yes but I think it is more to do with the fear of eating due to the pain I get when I eat the wrong thing and the fact they kept getting me to fast for tests in the hospital. No Jaundice though smile

• Posted

Glad to hear you're booked for surgery. That's the key to resolving this. But if your inflammation just won't go away, get back into the hospital and tell them. They may move your surgery up, but they won't without hearing from you.

Don't sit around suffering any more than you absolutely have to. Everyone gets put off going to A&E (I know I sure did to my own detriment) , but it really is the only way to get some action, unless you have your own private plan and can get it done on demand.

There are people around here who suffered immensely for many years before getting into surgery, or sometimes even before getting a proper diagnosis. Ultimately it all comes down to your interactions with the hospital, and that won't happen by itself.

Chances are your situation will resolve with the surgery and so what you have to do is get there as soon as you can. I'm trying to save you more unnecessary pain.

• Posted

I'm going to call the doctor who was treating me in hospital tomorrow, I won't go back to A and E unless I get pain, at the moment it's just an uncomfortable feeling at the slightest pressure and also because I end up waiting up to 10 hours every time I go lol

I want to avoid being admitted also unless I really have to as my anxiety shoots up when I'm in there.

But you are right I'm going to make sure I call and ask about it. They said they don't want to do the surgery while it's inflamed as it harder to do it laparoscopically so that's the reason for the wait.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply it's calmed my nerves a lot!

• Posted

Mine was tender pretty much all the time until they took it out.
    • Posted

Wow! Did anything help it at all? Like brufen or anything else?

Glad to hear you have it out though as I'm sure that has helped a lot!

Thank you for replying! It's good to know it's not a worst case scenario thing lol smile

• Posted

Diet seemed to help. Basically keeping the gallbladder on light & limited duty.

They analyze the gallbladder after the surgery and my surgeon told me it was pretty diseased.

What I didn't expect was how much better my digestive system worked after the surgery.

• Posted

Hi Clare, my husbands in the same boat as you the griping pains and bloating and also the tenderness. When he has had an attack the tenderness and bloating can last a few days.It's not very nice having to wait for an op because it can take ages and during this time the pain etc doesn,t go away. Try eating low fat diet small and often and try oat milk instead of dairy. Also very sweet things tend to aggravate my husband's gallbladder. Keep an hot water bottle handy for when the pain comes on. Keep your chin up.

• Posted

Hi, Clare,

Did they do blood work to include a liver panel?  That would have told them a few things they should have passed on to you, whether your white blood cell count was elevated, which would have indicated infection and whether or not your liver and pancreatic enzymes were elevated, which would have told them that both these organs were stressed.

Try small frequent meals that are low fat, and limit caffine and soft drinks, too.  Water and tea are okay. 

Good luck to you! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.