How long does inflammation last?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on day 3 of Augmentin for diverticulitis, pain is mostly gone but still have inflammation.  I can feel it next to my left hip and pelvic area.  How long does it take for the inflammation to subside?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is complicated. Many people have diverticulosis or diverticular disease and it never effects them, sometime it is discovered when an examination takes place for another reason. A flare up as it seems to be called happens when one of the pockets (likened to little bunches of grapes growing out from the colon) becomes infected. This can last with extreme pain for many weeks. My diverticulitis (which is what it is called when infected or reacting with infection)  hurts a little all the time and I can upset it by lifting heavy objects as an example. Everybody is different it seems, in how it effects us. I take a lot of Tylenol or Paracetamol in UK if it disturbs me or prevents me sleeping. But usually not more than one dose in a day.
  • Posted

wkwiggins - I am still dealing with some inflammation in the same location as you.  What I feel makes it better is eating easy foods to digest for a few weeks, then slowly add additional foods to your diet.  Be sure to stay away from high fiber items right now. That will come in time.  Walking a lot helps too.  It gets the gasses inside your colon to move and eventually come out, rather than just build up and cause discomfort.  I hope this helps. 

I would also recommend getting on a probiotic as well as Benefiber and Miralax.  All three of these will help your gut feel better, but the good bacteria your body needs to heal back in your gut as well as keep you from getting constipated.  Being constipated is not fun at all, it actually causes more discomfort and hurts.  

You can develop Hemorrhoids too.  Good luck, be strong and don't give up.

• Posted

Wow, are

You guys saying you’ve never been pain-free from diverticulitis? You weren’t able to have the acute

Episode treated completely and been pain-free?

• Posted

I’ve had diverticulitus flareups off and on for a couple of years now. Usually once the acute phase passes (for me that lasts about 4-5 days)  there’s still some residual soreness for another week or so.  But then, except for random twinges (which I’m learning to listen to and learn from), I usually feel totally normal and painfree for months. 
  • Posted

That’s a good news story Julie. That’s not a bad outcome atall. Thanks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.