How long does it last after no more periods?

Posted , 14 users are following.

i havent had a period for over a year, and wondering how long after that, we start feeling better? is this what you call "post menopause"?

im tired of feeling bad, and now i dont even want to leave my house....sometimes even bathe (but i do). and i think ive gotten paranoid to leave my house. oh, and my hair is falling out, memory is gone, always in fear of something bad fixing to happen. anybody else like this? when will it be over????

4 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I too thought after the one year mark all would be well. Things got worse for me. After 5 months I got on bio identical hormones, I couldn't stand the deterioration that i was feeling and seeing physically and mentally. My mother was 80 yrs old and still having issues from menopause. I was not going to spend the next 35 plus years feeling these symptoms. Hard to say, maybe some women get to feeling better but what you never see on these boards is people going back to normal again after menopause and feeling great . Some symptoms might ease up but women in their 70s on the board have talked about still dealing with stuff. Once your estrogen is wiped out ( and thats what is happening ) it tends to be a downward spiral of issues that for some go on long after periods end. Think about it this way, our hormones are what kept us at our best all these years and its no wonder when their about gone why we feel the way we do. Once at this stage your body will never make hormones like it used to again. For me, best decision I made replacing my estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. Good luck,

• Posted

I don't like leaving my house... I'm comfortable here.. In fact, trying to get hubby and teens to go shopping for the day so I can have the house to myself!! : ) And yes to the hair-- my hair is shedding.. don't know if it's winter or over processed. But I did just put some oil on my scalp and plan to sleep on a towel and wash it out in the morning.

• Edited

I read there is 3 stages to this perimenopause, menopause, and post menopause, post says symptoms last 24 to 36 months before subsiding..

• Posted

I can't say..I am in peri. I am afraid I won't emotionally get through it all, let alone physically. Here I am looking at my work options and am afraid I wont cope..yet no idea how to do anything anymore.

• Posted

Hi jamie I have been in prei for 5 years and I know what you mean don't know how I am any more ,I only work part time and if I could I would not work .Some days I just glad I got though them if having a bad day want prei too end but then you here about ladies that are in menopause and that sounds just as bad . I just want my life back

Take care

Paula

• Posted

It doesn't feel hopeful when some are going through worse and in menopause 😦 .... I also don't get those who are feeling amazing and not noticing anything...what are we missing? I want my life back as well, I used to be energetic, fit and full of life, nope that is gone now. I will have to work but wonder how to do it or what to do anymore. 😦

• Posted

Same with me mam

Donot want to go anywhere.

want to be in my room mostly in my Bed

Donot have feeing to do any thing.

i am very social person but now become introvert .

Earlier i love shopping..dress up ..love clicking pics..now donot feel like doing anything...No excitement in life ..life become dull now.

Hoping for better days

tk

• Posted

I read an article yesterday about this very question and the doctor who wrote the article said menopause symptoms will never go away unless you take HRT. They may settle down a bit only to return strong, off and on forever. I was surprised by this because all of us that have it so horrible have been living on the hope that it would all go away after we stopped having a period with or without taking HRT. I do know that with out hormones the body dies. I also know that there are only a few of us women that are so sensitive to the slightest dip in our hormones that it effects us horribly. We are the ones with horrible anxiety along with all of the other 66 + symptoms. Most women do not have all the symptoms we have, so I guess it dosen't matter to them? I guess there comes a time when we must decide quality versus quantity and look into HRT if we want any quality to our lives at all. The Lord let me know years ago that He doesn't heal menopause (when I was crying out begging Him to heal me) it is something all women have to go though He said, but He let me know that He would be there to give me peace when it becomes to hard for me to handle alone and He has kept His word. He has been there for me bringing me though many dark storms.

• Edited

I truly don't believe that. Not stating I know the answer, but I also don't believe modern medicine has benefited women in the slightest. HRT contributed to my mothers endometrial cancer and I will never touch it. I do think one thing, that is we live in a society where we are not living our natural selves. We eat a lot of crap foods and use many products that are not good for us or our environment. If we were to completely eliminate all that, we would probably naturally go through this process with little issue. I know for one I have an addiction to licorice and chocolate that has got worse with this. I know for a fact they contribute to the symptoms...(working on that one) but to think that HRT is the only solution, the doctor is deluded. What did women do for centuries long before HRT? I do think as a society we put too much trust and "faith" into modern medicine.

• Posted

I do not take HRT nor do I plan to anytime soon. I do use an over the counter bio-identical progesterone cream with a small amount of progesterone in it because I am adrenaline dominant and low in progesterone. I don't consider it HRT because it is not replacing my hormones at all. It's way to low of a dose to replace anything LOL. I just found that interesting because all the women I knew back in the 70's and 80's that took horse pee seemed to not have all the problems we have today. I do not think anyone on here trust or puts their faith in doctors or modern medicine I know I don't. I put my faith in Jesus. I am very well read on environmental medicines. I have studied Homeopathic medicine along with herbs for 20 years. I have seen the very best Homeopathic and environmental doctors in the US. $60,000 dollars out of pocket (because none of them take insurance) and it all boils down to the fact that NOBODY has an answer when it comes to women and their hormones.

• Edited

yep exactly the same i havnt had a period for 12 months now and i have had every symptom going hair thinning tired palpitations anxiety the list goes on its sooo hard hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel sending hugs xxx

• Posted

i have been post menopause for over 4 years. The period migraines stopped last spring, but i developed everyday headache in July. (apart from 3 weeks in November). I always had really bad Pre Menstrual Syndrome. Which my doctor says is why I am having such a bad time I cant take hrt .

I feel like I have every symptom under the sun, and my brain just doesnt really work any more. Having odd deja vu and disorientation along with the headaches. Very anxious/ tight chest/breathless. Depress ion, all the aches and pains and stiffness. I also have jaw joint pain and IBS. Seem to almost always be in pain for some reason. I dont know how I got through last week at work. its only a seasonal job, so i am unemployed again in 2 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.