How long does it REALLY take to recover from BG excision? ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 41 and have SUFFERED 4year with my left bart gland. It happened out of no where. When it is abscess "normal" cyst size for me is about tip to first knucle of thumb. When it's abscess it's an egg. There is always discomfort especially if I'm on my feet all day. When it breaks and drains there is relief and i can breath. Until then im a crying freak in pain. Just with the last episode (abscess for 2 wks) the dr has finally agreed to remove (gland excision) the gland. He is not a fan of the marsup and felt it return. It's been a week and 7 stitches! I was told that 2-3 days recovery and donut pillow would be it. WELLLL, no post op papers with info, still draining, still hurting and not walking or sitting and it's SO bruised and ugly (poor hubby yelled OMG!). I just cant see going back to work (I clean houses) tomorrow. I'm trying to be patient and healing but the "2-3" days is over and Ive now have a shelf full of Tylenol and ibuprofen to take every 6 hrs. Percocet made me so nauseous and constipated...yeah, try pooping with those stiches! Please let me know how much more I have for recovery and drainage....Thank You!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry but I only have bad news. Its taken me 4 months and I still can not sit. The meds you are taking are mild I have moved to stronger pain patches. I dont know what is going wrong all over the world with this op - doctors think its succesful when its not. Thousands like you and me are struggling. I have an office job, and I cant sit. I rush home every night put ice on my labia and lie down..... I am thinking of doing a block to block the nerve supply into my labia as its so painful and my life has stopped. Sorry for the bad news.
    • Posted

you have  pudendal neuralgia sad Try lyrica and amitriptyline instead of the pain patches ...nerve blocks rarely help..sorry, I have vulvodynia from these cysts and take medications for it
  • Posted

Your Doctor lied to you, the excision surgery is very invasive and bloody, no way you can get better after 3 days...I think they lie to patients so they don't freak out sad
    • Posted

I asked 2 yrs ago if therr was anything else that could be done other than Keflex meds and lancing the cyst or waiting it out to break and drain. He told me about the marsup (pouch) and isn't a fan of this option. He said a lot of them have to be redone and or still have the same issue. He also told me of the excision. He did tell me he didn't think it was time for this option bc if cyst is big enough then there is "digging" in and around muscle and LOTS of vessels.  He said very bloody. I was ready for a second option. Got one and I was told the same thing so I felt stuck and miserable and never knowing when it would turn abscess. About 2wks ago it was abscess and saw the dr. Since I just saw him for the same thing in July I told him (in tears) this has to end. I couldn't believe it when he said it might need to come out. I almost fainted! Again first thing he said was BLOODY and chance of clots or a vessels breaking after surgery and that requires surgery to fix. I asked recovery and that is when he said and pre-op nurse 2-3 days. That it! So day of surgery he asked if it was still abscess.  Told him no that it broke 3 days before. He seemed discouraged (to small to find) and ask me if it was thumb or pinky size. It was just a bit smaller than the thumb. I asked again and he said 3-4 days of recovery and he give will me meds for pain. Also said he wanted a follow up in 2 wks. I asked of restrictions ie lifting,  food, intercourse...this is when he said (with a chuckle) he'll do 6 stitches and they'll be there 6 wks then ddissolve and I'll know when I'm ready. While I was in recovery dr talked to my husband saying "that it was a bit more to it and digging and 7 stitches". I never saw the dr after surgery. This is why I'm "guessing" I'm still in pain and having drainage. I feel horrible (mental and physical) due to I keep canceling on my clients and don't have a return time. I wanted the cyst out but really feel not informed and dr acted like this a no big deal kind of surgery. I do have the 2wk follow up next week. I just want answers and no fear of pulling a stitch. I'm so done dealing with the "NUT" in my whoha!
  • Posted

See my other post- I had a cyst removed 8 weeks ago. Mine was actually a suburethral/skenes cyst. I still have nerve pain and discomfort, especially after going to the loo. As mine affects the urethra it won't be quite the same, but my experience is they do take much longer to heal than you are told. I now have urethral syndrome with mine which is no doubt making recovery harder. My gyno also told me a few days to a week. Now she just keeps giving me different drugs to try but nothing is working so I am trying a different approach and started acupuncture today. I think doctors underestimate things like nerve damage in this area.

If I had the chance again I wouldn't have this surgery, but as we both have there's no going back so...The thing is, everyone is different. You may be one of the lucky ones and heal quicker. I still think you are looking at least a few weeks though, so if you can arrange time off work do so. I do really feel for you as I know what you're going through. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I would add though-although I totally understand how painful these things are I think a week is too soon to worry about whether it has been successful and start looking for other drugs and procedures. There ARE people who have this type of surgery and it works out, so I would allow at least a few weeks before worrying too much. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you! I do agree a week out is early but since he told me 3-4 days and I'd be up is why I'm concerned. I can push 1 more wk but then HAVE to be back to work which scares me. He NEVER said anything about drainage...just dried blood day of surgery. 
    • Posted

May I ask which hospital you chose for the procedure?

I need my gland removed but don't know which doctor to choose ...

I'm in london

thank you

• Posted

I've been reading forums in german, french, english ,etc and recovery times for this procedure vary between 4 weeks to 5 months, depending on how large the gland was and how good the surgeon did his job.

My advice for anyone suffering from painful intercourse after bartholin removal is to take nerve pain medication, apply topical 5 % lidocaine ointment and do pelvic physiotherapy to desensitise the area and loosen the scar tissue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.