how long does it take and what is the best way to wean off tramadol?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was first prescribed tramadol modified release approx 2yrs ago for degenerative disc disease. After several unsuccessful interventions to relieve my spinal pain i was increased to tramadol 100mg modified release twice daily.

Then a new pain consultant did more treatments and some success so said to reduce my tramadol by taking immediate release formulation 50mg x 4 times per day and cut down.

Now i may have been naive but only did this for a few days and stopped all together. Now after 24-48 hrs i feel absolutely dreadful, i have shaking, sweating, palpitations, nausea, vomiting... Basically i feel like a junkie would??

I went to the gp and hes given me a plan to come down over 4weeks, is this enough? What do you think?

I thought the tramadol were brilliant till the last few months when i have had drenching sweats n loss of libido but if i had known i would have had this trouble stopping them i never wouldve taken them, rather have spine pain :-(

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just thought id add to this thread in case it helps anyone else.

Day two of my new withdrawal regime,

Dose is 50mg of immediate release tramadol at 10am and at 10pm.

Still have slight tremor in hands, feeling of anxiousness (like nervousness in tummy before interview etc) and had a poor sleep. Also when i did sleep i had very vivid bizarre dreams.

Less nausea and palpitations today.

Glad im not at work this week tho and havent had to drive!

• Posted

I have finally come off the tramadol.....back pain here but will manage if i dont have to go through that again!

Week one had 50mg twice a day,

Week two 50mg twice daily one day....50mg once per day alternately,

Week three 50mg once daily,

Week four 50mg once daily on alternate days,

Then stop.

Symptoms were gradually reduced but nervousness and nausea persisted so if i felt it was unbearable i took the odd dose and eventually realised id gone 10days without.

Any remaining pills gone back to pharmacy so im not tempted to restart especially on days my back is killing me,

Also happier as libido improved and drenching sweats stopped.

I did need to take these when they were prescribed but if i had known they made me so ill getting off them i wouldnt have bothered.

Go to your gp before you try to stop and do it slowly, good luck :-)

• Posted

HI, 

I was just reading your story about coming off the tramadol. I was just wondering if you succeeded? I'm 22 and trying to come off 6 a day (prescribed for a slipped disc) but I'm not sure how to go about it? Any adivce? Did you suffer from withdrawl symptoms for long? 

• Posted

Katie it will hurt, but you should do it now. Maybe you could phase down to two or three a day beore you jump off. You're 22 and with six you could take a cold turkey shock, but it's pretty intense and you would need someone there . 7 - 10 days to be through it although there will be some residual  pychological after effects, but they pass. Katie if can, you should join the Narcotics Annonymous in your area. It doesn't mean anything is wrong you to be there. You will probably be really surprise how much you like it. There will be some people there that have been where you are now. It's a great support system. I really recommend you do that. No one has to know you went there or go there. It's a very very secret group.

Currently  I'm twisted on Tramadol and can't take my own advise. I  can't believe I got here again. I quit methadone 5 years ago and it was really rough and I think that's the main reason I keep procrastinating. I'm kinda in a bind. I take about 60-70 (50)mil capsules a day. I really can't believe it. I've lost the ability to smell, my memory is shot, I have dizzy spells, i have no urge for sex, which is crazy for me, normally. I think about it, but have no urge to pursue it., and couldn't if I did., i'm lethargic, have no outlook, I also have a wierd pain in my left leg which some people here have told me is a side effect. Some times I can't put my pants on.  , I can't really go anywhere because I have to keep feeding this monster. I just can't see my self phasing down...I'm an all or nothing person. The truth is at this I beed to be incarcerated with access to medical assistance. I just want to be free of this but I guess I don;t have what it takes....sorry to cry on your shoulder but I wanted to try and make you feel better. You're gonna be okay Katie 100% for sure. You'll be whole again and you will be the same Katie as before but definitely matured by the experience. The thing is that if you don't so it soon You will increase the dosage. It just sneaks up on you. That for sure, ask some of the people here.  Please try now Katie, I know you can do it...

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I know I haven't been on it long but I don't want to become dependant on it for the wrong reasons. 

I got a prescription late and had to go without for a day and I can honestly say it was the worst day of my life by far, I got heart palpitation, sweats, shivers, migraines and all I done for the whole day is cry. Which just proves that my body already relies on more than I thought...another reason I wanted to lower my daily intake of it. 

Thank you for sharing your story. It gives me so much will power knowing that other people have kicked addictions way worse than mine and others who are still controlled by the

• Posted

(Sorry pressed send too early) 

Controlled by the drugs they are taking. 

I really hope you beat your addiction eventually. It doesn't have to control you forever. Your advice and story is so inspirational that it gives me hope that one day I'll be off it all together. 

Stay strong smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.