How long does it take cure amlodipine side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI

I have been on amlodipine for almost a year now and after facing horrible side effects ranging from extreme stomach pain, muscle pain, headaches etc finally my doc stopped amlodipine. I was almost completely bed ridden and after stopping (3 days ago) things have improved but wanted to know how long before I will feel "Normal" again.

Thanks ain advance

Regards

Nik

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Most medications will be out of your system within 48 hours.  Even ones with lingering effects.

A possibility you should consider is if after 3 days you are not  returned to 'normal',  then it wasn't amlodipine which was the problem [surprised at the stomach pain it is usually well tolerated in gastric terms].

• Posted

Hi Nikhil,

I was only on the dreaded A for 3 weeks before deciding I was not happy with the side effects. It took about 2 weeks for the swelling in my legs and ankles to go. The aches in mycalfs went  within a couple of days. Hope you recover quickly.

• Posted

Addendum to my earlier post. I was not referring to external physical changes which you hadn't mentioned anyway.

As far as swelling goes, they often take you off amlodipine and put you on a related med which has swelling as a side effect as well, but not as common.

You'd have thought though that since the mechanism is the same or similar a patient with swelling in one would have the same in another.

• Posted

On hindsight I think it is worth researching BP meds and then going back to GP with one that sounds as if it suits you. I was put on 2 other medications which had I researched first, would have refused. I then did some reading up and found one which, for me has been fine.
  • Posted

Hi Nikhil,

Most medications do get out of your system within 48 hours but sometimes the side effects linger and occasionally can linger for sometime or never go completely. I would go back to your GP if after a few weeks you have not fully recovered.

• Posted

Almost one year later i feel normal again!!! Heavy legs have gone, muscle cramps have gone, fluid has gone and i now feel a different person...,this drug is horrendous
    • Posted

Not to everyone.  There's a real danger in jumping to conclusions.  The original poster may need to think again about what is causeing her problems.

It seems to me that Docs should be telling people to look out for the swelling which is the most common side effect.  Other stuff is hard to tie to this drug.

What it does do well is reduce your blood pressure.

• Posted

Hi Oneeye,

I am glad that you are not suffering the many symptoms that other people suffer when taking Amlodopine. This drug is banned in the Netherlands (I have a contact who is a nurse). In some countries it is only used on animals. It is a drug which is under scrutiny and is recognised as causing many problems in a large number of people. It does not even control BP well in many cases.

I wish you well and hope you continue to benefit from Amlodipine.

• Posted

HI Everyone

Thanks for your responses.

1. As physical symptom, I dont have swollen feet but I have overgrown gums.

2. I have seens some improvement in pain and fatigue after stopping amlodipine but I am very anxious because of persistant pain for over a year.

3. At this point the pain has almost crippled me and I am not able to even go to office. 

My Doc has also started me on antit enxiety pills escitalopram.

But unless i feel "Normal" in next few days i feel i will go mad now. 

• Posted

Hope you are feeling well! Like others here, I found it is taking quite a while to feel that I am back to normal after stopping this foul drug. Slowly I am able to do more and more of the everyday things that were too hard under this med and it is great! Wishing you well Nik

Sue B

• Posted

HI Everyone,

Wanted to update this thread with recent changes.

Its been 3 weeks I have stopped taking amlodipine and there has been considerable improvement. 

1. Muscle pain has reduced a great deal but it has not disappeared yet

2. Fatigue attacks which i used to have almost every day are now down to once a week. 

3. Overall feeling of weakness is disappearing but again is not gone yet.

Not sure how long will it take for me to feel "Normal" but will update this thread with developments.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.