How Long Does It Take For Ankle Stiffness And Soreness last

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just Got Out Release from my orthopedic dr and he is also a podiatrist  i had an ankle fracture had a cast on then a walking boot got walking boot taking off and released from dr now got ankle soreness and stiffness i am exerciseing it wand walking pretty good still stiff and sore and painful at times it helps to soak it in hot water and epsom salt and apple cide vinegar then after i dry my foot and rub on wintergreen alcohol and the rub in bio freeze it helps how long does stiffness and soreness last i exceesise it and soak it and walk ppl say i need to walk it out 

r

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It starts out very stiff and loosens week by week. I think what you're doing is great. I used a lot of Epsom salt soaks too and massaged my ankle and leg often to get the blood flowing well and oxygen into the injured areas throughout the leg. If you look back month by month, there are dramatic changes, but it does feel like it takes forever if you think about it daily. I'm at 14 months with a trimalleolar fracture and tons of hardware and I'd say I was totally done healing at 13 months but by 6 months I was feeling 80 percent at least. Probably 95% at 9 months. Now 99%.

• Posted

Hi honey , i like you have had the same break and the plates and screws   and i oh so wish that the stiffness loosened, i am 5 months now from the  3 breaks and the dislocation, cast off at 5 and half weeks albeit not mended then but dr s wanted me to get  movement in the ankle !!!  10 pcent weight to full weight bearing EEEEEEEkkkkkkkkk   from zimmer to crutches  to one crutch to now nil  but albeit  excersizes and physio the stiffness is always with me  from morning till night, i am grateful  to be walking  with much pain as not enough movement   and just cant believe it will ever go away , massaging every night and during day  , am looking for a miracle ????

KIndest regards  and your story to help us all   Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol- Don't worry- ankle repair is like watching a snail move. You have to be patient beyond belief! You'll get there eventually, and have to count your progress bimonthly. If you think by back 2 weeks ago, I think you'd say overall you're better. I remember feeling a lot better at month 4 and then month 6. The problem is the pain can be a moving target as your firing all the muscles and tendons back up. I remember thinking I even still had a little stiffness in month 12 and I'd be stuck with that, now it's once a month only that I feel even the slightest bit of stiffness- maybe on my first step only every 30 days. I remember months ago, first thing in the morning, it would take 100 steps to shake off the stiffness, then 50, then 20, then 3. It changes monthly. Hang in there! You're past the tough part now and on the home stretch!!

• Posted

oh bless you !!   for caring and replying also. would feebetter i know once the stiffness goes  and this painful ankle on the outside  of the foot. Dr said disasterous break  and  feel metal  at the ankle and sooooooooooo restricts movement  and the edge of the shoes / trainers  come just at that point too,  we are off to the pub tonight and have just sprayed with painkiller and works in a minute and now feeling numb ( thank goodness as will help me walk to and from the pub  and plan to sing my heart out  instead of crying it out  xxx thank you honey x
    • Posted

Keep singing and having fun! My grown kids said they learned about how to handle the bumps in the road by watching me go through this. I just kept figuring out a way to get out of the house, be around family and friends, and kept smiling - and when I felt down I'd come to this site to discuss my woes vs. burdening them. It's funny how smiling when you feel like crying can actually lift your spirits. Remember we have limbs- and we will get better. There are people with much worse that find a way to be happy- so why not us? That thought kept the long process of healing through this injury in perspective for me.

• Posted

I'm 5 months from surgery. Still have some pain and stiffness. My PT says the stiffness could last a year. (Sorry...) once I knew that it was easier to accept. Lots of stretching exercises at home and at PT. Lots of ice and elevation. It's slow but as this forum discusses it will get better. Look at how "this week was better than last week". Even so there have been a few days where it seemed like I was going backwards but that's not the case. You'll have good days and bad days, but the bad days will become fewer.

This forum has been a Godsend because I don't feel alone

• Posted

OMG     a year ?? the  stiffness  awful  and sooooooooo painful  as restricts movement  i have some pain spray which does freeze i for a while   but with all the massaging and excersize  just not getting any better  and now 5 months from my  triple break and dislocation  and so painful to walk   and look disabled  as now not using  any support  and starting to think that i should go back to one crutch  for a bit of support.

Thanks foryour comments  Kindest regards Carol 

• Posted

Last week was a turning point when I told myself I have to stop mAking my ankle pain my life. I started forcing myself to do things I haven't been able to do for 5 months. It's been hard but I'm walking without a cane for the first time. A week ago I'd say that was impossible. It's spring here in the Midwest USA. I'm a garden designer. I know I won't be able to actually work in the garden for quite awhile and that was depressing. I hired someone to clean up all my beds last week, I used to do it. I had to accept that there's somethings I can't do now and it feels so good to have it all done. I HATE asking for help & ive had to since November. Anyway, I think there's a turning part for everyone when you're starting to feel better after a LONG winter of pain.

The stiffness is much less but always there. I know one day I'll wake up and not wonder how bad the stiffness will be because it will be gone - if only for part of the day.

Hang in there! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply  and so much take on board  what you have said and wish you well honey   and god bless  andplease take care too . Kindest regards Carol x
  • Posted

Oh so good to read that some one else is having the same problems and stiffness and the pain as myself and i oh so feel for you , i am 5 months now from my fall /slipped down the stairs , in Mlat a where i live and the  marble steps very unforgiving, nasty break 3 places and dislocation. Had cast off after 5 and half weeks ( to soon i think at 73 yrs young ) feels like cast still on , have physio  and excersize my foor/ankle 3/4 times a day, i walk a lot but sooooooooo painful , have some pain spray  which is brilliant  but  just cant see this tightness and pain ever leaving, Physio not helping  but will still be going as directed by the hospital  , soooooooooo i really feel for you Dawna , keep me informed, Regards Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.