How long does it take for celexa to level out?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with chronic panic disorder. Started taking Celexa about 3 months ago. The side effects were horrendous for about three weeks. My Gp recently upped my dosage from 20 to 30 mg. I feel awful. I have been on this dosage now for 2 weeks. How long before it levels out. I am also taking Lorazepam 0.5 three times a day.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

When you say you feel awful, can you explain more? I take it you have high anxiety, does the Ativan help?

Any other major changes recently?

Just trying to give you the best advice, hard when not know much smile

• Posted

Let's try again. I am new to this forum. 

I am a 45 year old woman. I have been suffering with a panic disorder since I was 18. At first I took Ativan sublinqual as needed. After a bad experience with Paxil, I was given Ativan 0.5 x tid. I have been taking that for at least 20 years with no problems. About eight months ago everything got too much and I asked for an upped dosage in the Ativan. My Dr. Refused and I began Prozac . That was horrible. I lasted 3 weeks on this med. I felt like I was on speed or something. That was the beginning of where I am today. I was taken off of that med. and tried to continue on with just the Ativan.  My anxiety was so high I began having many trips to the Er. Because of stomach pains. Even had to call the ambulance once to come and get me. Many tests later and three months later I was told everything was fine. Well, I lost 25 lbs in three weeks, was weak and never left my sisters couch. I was suffering from a nervous breakdown. I started on Celexa 10 mg and CBT counselling. After 2 weeks I was put on 20 mg. I slowly got better and I could return home to my son. Over Christmas I began feeling really bad again. My Dr upped me to 30 mg. The first week was ok but the second made me feel really anxious, scared to leave my home, a little high unable to drive. My husband works away and is barely home. I just want to feel better and I don't. Absolutely no motivation, constantly tired. And to top it all off the Dr has increased my dosage from 1 mg to 2 mg of Ativan a day. I think these drugs to tether is just to much. Why didn't they just up the Ativan when I asked maybe I would not be in this downward spiral. I am ready to throw in the towel on Celexa.

• Posted

i know this is old but i hope to get a response....are you still on lorazepam? day 3 if 10 mg citalopram n was given lorazepam to take for first couole of weeks while side effects happen but scared to take

• Posted

Hi kelly,,

Everytime you upped your dose you will feel the side effect...usually lesser than the first time you took the meds...

It takes weeks and months for you to feel improvement ..recovery is a gradual process ... But please be patient and keep taking it as it will be better as days/weeks/months past by..

Good days to bad days to good days...you will feel it but dont be discourage

Hope your doing fine today ..please keep us updated

Hugs for you

Jv

• Posted

Hi John, thanks for the encouraging words. I have a Gp appointment tomorrow. Guess he will try and sort it out.

i have been reading this forum for months. It really helps 

• Posted

Hi saw my Dr. Yesterday. He thinks I am slowly getting better but wants me to stay on the 30 mg for 6 weeks. I also had therapy today and it was very positive. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in two weeks. Mental health is really lacking here, I have been waiting eight months for this appointment.

I am feeling a lot better since they upped my dosage to 30 mg from 20 mg. was very scared at first but I feel like they are finally starting to level out.

One day at a time

Thanks

• Posted

Ok I guess . Side effects are gone but I have no motivation at all. Always sleeping and the weight is just piling on. Don't feel better not really worse. Just blah! I never smile or feel happy.  Not myself at all.
  • Posted

Hi Sissy

I still have my bad days but I'm mainly ok. I feel more like my old self more and more. The only thing that I find is I am having a lot of heart palpitations. Never had them before this, not so much anyway.  Put on a lot of weight though. 

Thanks for asking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.