How long does it take for citalopram to ease extreme anxiety

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have been on citalopram for 6 weeks and thought last week I was making some improvements but last night I had the palpitations and restlessness and again this morning. I am on 20mg and been on them in the past but a struggle at the moment as been off work for 7 weeks with it and keen to get back to normality. I am also literally doing everything such as cbt, yoga, meditation, exercise and diet. Wondered if anyone had any advice?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi all sorry for the delay I have had a tough time of it and ended up back at drs. They have increased dose to 30mg and initially was so sleepy but feeling a bit more normal just got a weird feeling in abdomen area a bit like butterflies which is annoying and not sure if a side effect. I was on 10mg for a week then up to 20 but 10 weeks in not enough chance so why on 30 now and will be 40 if needs be. I am veggie and also had bloods done and turns out iron deficient so hope with supple ments it might help too. Thank you so much for your repliesit is nice to know not alone x
    • Edited

Up and down. Mostly down lately. Hoping for better days ahead. 8 weeks on Monday. Has to start to improve. If I could just shake the morning hell it would make everything else bearable.

Take care!

• Posted

I thought the morning hell would never pass but it does. You just need to get up and get on with something as hard as it is. I have found the routine of getting up for work after 8 weeks off has made that easier. Rest assured it will go away and try not to fear it as I did and made it worse. I do appreciate easier said than done though.
  • Posted

hi everyone just wanted to say hello and i'm having the same issues of just starting out on citalopram and having very difficult morning anxiety (very intense, negative thinking including suicidal thoughts and body flooded with anxiety).  i have been on various antidepressants in the past, sometimes had success with them and other times not so good.

im taking 20mg and have been for about 2 weeks, i started on 10mg for 2 weeks.

i'm really hoping the morning anxiety will go away as it's so difficult and is a distressing start to the day isn't it

ok i hope everyone is doing ok and hope we will all find relief

• Posted

When do you take your citalopram? I couldn't take mine during the day due to the initial heightened anxiety....i used to take it at night and sleep through the aide effects.

Im currently slowly moving it back to morning slowly over timr and am currently taking them in the afternoon now i have passed most of the side effects.

• Posted

i take mine in the late morning, as one thing i tend to get when taking ssri's is i seem to have increased dreaming at night, too much of which can make me feel exhausted the next day.  so i am put off from taking them at night incase it disrupts sleep - although that said, my doctor thinks that due to the long half life of citalopram, it doesn't really make a difference when you take them (not sure if there are other factors my doc is not considering though perhaps)

Neil, my doc did mention beta blockers in the past but do they make you even more tired?  (i already get some tiredness from taking citalopram).  i think that's what has put me taking off taking anything at all alongside my citalopram (eg. benzo's to help with anxiety);  i'm worried that i will just be tired all day and i really don't want that as it kind of feels like replacing one problem (depression/anxiety) with another (tired all day!)

• Posted

I agree about the long half life theory. My doctor is OBSESSED with saying i shld take them in the morning...no idea why.

Yes beta blockers do make me tired. Especially when i try and exercise...but i will take that over the morning anxiety any day...for now.

Benzos dont make me tired..they just calm me down

• Posted

i dont think there is a right or wrong answer as to when to take citalopram -  perhaps it should be taken in the morning if it affects your sleep (eg. insomnia, or vivid dreams), or in the evening if it makes u tired a few hours after taking it.  that said, as time goes on and if you adjust well to the side effects, then it probably would eventually make no difference what time you take it, as long as you keep taking it regularly

i think i will give it a few more days and perhaps consider doing the same as you regarding taking something to help with anxiety.  i think i need to be sensible and accept that like you it is better to be tired rather than have (in my case) anxiety so severe that it is very dangerous for me as thinking becomes very irrational and negative and it's just an absolute nightmare which is putting a big strain on both my mind and my body

• Edited

It is very possible you may need a higher dosage, but it definitely does take a good amount of time usually for your system to get used to the meds. I've been struggling myself lately since messing with my dosage and hoping to get back to my normal self soon as well. I was stable on 40mg for years. Stay strong and potentially think about increasing your dosage by a little bit if you still aren't feeling well within another couple weeks. 

• Edited

I've been on 40 now for about 4 weeks I haven't been 100% but not terrible. Then all of a sudden yesterday I had a horrible anxiety attack to the point I had to take a Xanax and come home to lay down. Today I feel edgey I'm assuming this is a blip? Can a blip last a couple days?

• Posted

i was ill with morning anxiety for 3mths couldnt gi to work, i found if i took night nurse this helped me sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.