How long does it take for physiotherapy to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I believe I have Plantar Fasciitis, although a definite diagnosis hasn't been made, as yet.  I was referred to an orthopaedic consultant about two months ago because of pain in my heel and Achilles tendon.  He ordered an MRI  - I haven't got the results yet - and I'm also seeing a physiotherapist.  When the physio examined my heel, he said it was lumpy!  Does this fit with plantar fasciitis? 

I've been doing the stretching exercises  daily, but am now wondering how long it will be before the pain eases - it's particularly painful today.  The pain runs up the back of my leg into my calf.   

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Cushion your heel to get rid of plantar fasciitis.  Good luck.  Read my posts - doknabox
  • Posted

Difficult to say but does not sound like PF. Mild Pf can give rise to heel and tendon pain which goes away after walking for a few hours, then comes back the next morning and again goes away.

PF in my experience, and it can be different with others, does not run up the back of the leg, but concentrates pain in the heel area when applying weight.

I'm no way a medic but sounds as though it may be something else - and what on earth is a 'lumpy heel'!!

Refer to earlier posts when we said that a lot of 'medics', especially in the UK, don't really know what they are talking about.

But all said I wish you luck and keep us informed about the MRI results.

• Posted

Hi,

Sounds like it may be a type of pf called policemans heel which is the tendons of the calf muscle that need stretching the same as pf but it is not yet straining the pf legiment. Keep doing the stretching exercises for at least a month and cushion the heel with GEL HEEL PADS or the month and see how it goes. The lumpy feel to the heel may be heel spurs or just inflamation of the legiments around the heelwhere it is most stressed, the cushioning should help whichever it is and take anti inflamatories to help with the pain. If its no better after a month then you may need an operation to remove the heel spurs, the MRI should show if this is the problem. do not have any legiment operations as this is a last resort and its better to try everything else first.

Cushion, cushion and cushion a bit more is the best advice we can give is the best advice we can give as the first step as it cannot make it worse whereas operating can and has a long recovery time of 6 month's or more.

• Posted

Thank you all very much for your replies.   I did wonder about heel spurs, christophe77444, and am hoping that the MRI result will show if this is the case.  As for what 'lumpy' means, it was the physiotherapist's comment when he first examined me and pressed my heel (very painful).  I'll get back to you when I've had the MRI results.

Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.