How long does it take for the side effects of citalopram to subside?

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hi

I started on 10mg citalopram 10 days ago and have felt really rotten since. I suffer with migraines

And have had a migraine every day for the last 6 weeks. Following discussion with my neurologist we both felt that I was getting a little low, eg not looking forward to things, tiredness, not sleeping and getting very anxious at times.However since starting the citalopram I feel really down, no energy to do anything, no motivation, nausea and dizziness.... And also waking at 2-3am & unable to get back to sleep, constant headache

Is this Normal and will it settle, if so how much longer do I have to stick it out for?

Thanks in advance for any help

Fern

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've been on citalo pram 10 mg for almost 2 wks. Headache every day with ringing in the ears. Anyone experience this?
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl hope all is well with you now .My first time on Citalopram.started tonight.bless you
    • Posted

Hi, yes! I noticed after 7 weeks, a slight ringing in my ear. My doctor said to quit it immediately, which I did, but now i have ringing in my ears worse than when I was on Celexa. It's been a few days only, so curious to know where you stand now? Were you able to beat it?

• Posted

I have been taken citalopram 20 mg for just over 2 months. My mood has improved markedly but I am plagued with severe side effects including difficulty in thinking, nausea, weight loss, loss of appetite, lack of energy and tinnitus. I hope that this eventually will subside.
  • Posted

Hi, unfortunately one problem with anti-depressants is the length of time they can take to take effect, but also the initial and sometimes ongoing side effects such as you say. Over the last 18 months I have been on about 6 different meds (separately to try and find the right one) but each time coming off each, then going on the next one had its downsides. I used Citalopram at a far higher dosage to you, but I eventually felt no benefit from them (my system got used to them?? not sure) but I woudn't advise trying as many different ones as was suggested to me, as each brings it's wn issues. About a month ago my psychiatrist suggested that I move to tricyclics and I am now on Lofepramine, but the initial side effects are exactly the same as you seem to be getting from Citalopram. I suppose our systems don't like being bombarded with meds that take a while to kick in. I would suggest, as I have done before that you persevere for another while to see if thins settle down, and if not GO BACK AND KEEP GOING BACK to your GP to discuss the next moves if things don't improve. Keep the forum posted on hw you get on, over say the next month when things should have settled down. There's plenty of us who have been there and still are!!
  • Posted

Hey All,

I am new to this group. Struggling with some "dark thoughts" al my life. Made up for this by working hard. Then cancer, surviving, divorce of the worst kind. Seems work is the best therapie. But no purpose in life. Having many "dark thoughts" even when moments are the happiest. Tries Wellbrutin - was going cary stopped after 3 days 6 months ago. Now loss of appetitie loosig weight. Now cancer doc said to try Citalopram. Am on half a tablet for next 7 days, then full. So far makes my tinitus worse, I am incredible tired, itching and frequent urination. And that is day 2. Life has been rough. I think I can manage because I have dicipline but I need to know that it works. Does any one know if this stuff works? Maybe I am hopeing for a "high" (I know bad wording" but is there something at the end that makes the day something to look forward too? Thanks all! Hopefully it works and can manage the side effects.

• Posted

Hi,

I am new to the group. I started taking Citalopram 2 1/2 weeks ago because I was experiencing severe anxiety attacks that lasted hours. I took 10mg for the first 2 weeks and increased to the 20mg that my GP prescribed.

My mood has gotten much better, but the anxiety feels like it still lurks. My appetite had decreased and I've lost almost 15 pounds. My hands and feet sweat, I feel fatigued, and I have the same insomnia that started before I began taking the pills.

The odd thing is that the side effects will just stop and be done for the day. I want to stick with Citalopram for at least 6 weeks. I just need to hear that others have gone through similar size effects and are glad they didn't give up. Please send some positive feedback.

• Posted

Hi I started citalopram 12 days ago for severe anxiety. I felt like adrenaline was continually pumping round my body. It does seem to be calming except first thing in the morning, but I feel nauseous and sick all the time. I was hoping this would subside a bit by now
    • Posted

i have the same problem,in the mornings is hard i get abit bad and have to get out of it,but as the day gets on i seem to get better,im on 40mg of citrapram what are u on?
    • Posted

Hi Gary I'm on 20mg. I think the sickness is starting to subside a bit but today my anxiety has been bad. I just want to feel normal again and eat something would be good. I haven't eaten for nearly 2 week only managing the odd meal replacement shake. I'm putting today down to just a bad day and hope tomorrow is better

• Posted

I'm on day 12 now and my anxiety is so bad I can hardly get up to do laundry or shower. How are you doing? I'm so upset that I'll never get better

• Posted

I'm on week 3 still having horrible nausea and morning adrenaline but the adrenaline isn't near as bad As it was. Oh and I can't sleep. I'm so exhausted. How long did it take for all your side effects to go?

• Posted

Hi folks.

I'm Fergus and I'm 37. I've started citrolapram today for 2nd time. Took at 11-12 years ago. When I took it before for first time it was amazing. I was high and excited, sadly that was a 1 off but never had side effects after that.

I naively took 2 20mg tablets this morning out of desperation because I was feeling so low and feel terrible. Fell asleep about 7.30-8pm and woke at 10pm. Sitting in bed listening to my kids sleeping and all can think about is wishing I could end this pain. My wife and I separated in June. We were so in love but it's deteriorated last few years of 9 years together. We have a not Daniel who is 2 and a girl who is nearly 5.

I had been doing so well and thought I'd turned a corner until I found out my wife was dating again.

Now I feel guilty, depressed and suicidal. Reading your posts about how long side effects last, I'm struggling to believe I can cope. I know there's no quick fix and have to be strong but I'm tired.

Has anyone carried on with the AD's and managed after side effects wore off. Please tell me they're worth it. I know I sound pathetic but I'm really on a knife edge.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Fergus,

I was looking through the threads and registered so I could reply. I just wanted to say you're not alone smile and there are loads of people who say citalopram works and that it's changed their lives!

It seems from reading the posts that the worst of the side effects last for 2-3 weeks.

Did your doctor recommend starting on 20mg?

Is there anyone close you can talk to?

I started taking it 4 nights ago and I've been awake since 2am (it's now 4am) and that's been every night.

I'm trying not to fight against it too much. I'm listening to an audio book which is good. It feels more restful than TV.

Generally distraction is really helpful.

I really hope you're ok sweetheart. Keep going, you're going to get out of this smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.