How long does it take for the side effects of citalopram to subside?

Posted , 46 users are following.

Hi

I started on 10mg citalopram 10 days ago and have felt really rotten since. I suffer with migraines

And have had a migraine every day for the last 6 weeks. Following discussion with my neurologist we both felt that I was getting a little low, eg not looking forward to things, tiredness, not sleeping and getting very anxious at times.However since starting the citalopram I feel really down, no energy to do anything, no motivation, nausea and dizziness.... And also waking at 2-3am & unable to get back to sleep, constant headache

Is this Normal and will it settle, if so how much longer do I have to stick it out for?

Thanks in advance for any help

Fern

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

My GP started me on 20 mg. I took it for half a week, and felt so tired, yawning all day, getting 10-12 hours of sleep wasn't enough. I cut it down to 10mg for the rest of the week, and couldn't take it any more so I stopped, and then slept 12 hours, got up and drank some coffee, and went back to bed for 2 hours. Now I'm up but can't get motivated to get off the couch. My mood was so much worse after starting this med, no motivation, more depressed, no energy to do the basic things, tired, exhausted, don't want to be around anyone, not caring about anything. At least I'm not on the verge of tears all the time, but the trade off is not worth it.  I can't afford to feel this way, I have to be cheerful at work, and need lots of energy to train new people. I am not going to take any more of these pills. It's not worth it.  I don't know of a better alternative.  I have been off all antidepressants for about 7 years. Before that I was on Wellbutrin 150 XL for about 5+ years, and liked it except it gave me tinnitis and shaky hands. I've also tried and didn't like Lexapro, Pristiq, Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft (Liked it but gave me TMJ), and liked Serzone, but they pulled it from the market. I also used Celexa years ago and I don't remember it making me feel this bad. I can't afford to drag around and sleep for 3 weeks waiting for possible, not guaranteed good effects to kick in. What AD's work????  

• Posted

Hi there 😊

I started on 20mg Citalopram 5 days ago and I have been feeling horrible. Last night I took just 10mg and today I feel extremely nauseous but when I was on the full 20mg I felt wired, extremely drowsy, huge pupils, I just didn't feel like myself at all and have been off work. I want to keep going on it but I'm worried about feeling like this for the foreseeable future - I don't however feel the anxiety but I think im too tired to feel anything. I don't have trouble sleeping, however when I wake up I feel like I haven't slept at all. Fingers crossed this doesn't last for too much longer

• Posted

Hi Everyone...Just did a search and found this forum.I started 20mg Citalopram this Wen~today is day 3.My mood is not worse maybe better But i get drowsiness and almost feel drunk like,kinda in a tunnel feel its strange.Im going to give it a while and see if it goes away before talking to the doc about it.I might also wait till bed time to take it tomorrow.I will say i have Slept like a baby the past 2 nights i feel great after i get up and around.When do you all take it day or night?
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I suffer with a really bad sickness phobia and was prescribed citalopram 20mg at the beginning of august and I took for 2/3 weeks without a single side effect. Have been back to the doctors last week and she advised me to start taking the citalopram again to calm my anxiety. She prescribed me some more citalopram, but a different brand, in a different box and the tablets look completely different. So I decided to start again this morning. Took 1 of the new ones I had and in just over an hour started to feel really tired/fuzzy headed, bit shaky, dry mouth and throat and was nearly sick..just gagging. Now for me this doesn't help because I'm trying to take them to calm my sickness phobia!!! So now I don't want to take any more. And also freaking out, as it is possible to get these side effects within an hour of taking the very first tablet?!!

• Posted

Hey Sammy I'm worried too, I've not take. Them yet but I'm worried I'm going to be sick or gag when I'm taking them sad did u have any luck

• Posted

Hi both.  I experienced the common nausea in the first week or three, though never gagged or was actually sick (not ness helpful if you have a sickness phobia as i am sure the fear of sickness that goes with nausea is dreadful).  i can say that I went from dreaful overwhelming Body dysmorphia obsessions ruining my life to feeling really quite content within two months.  I really had no idea such a tiny pill could do this much.  I still have some of the obsessional thoughts but they just dont bite in the same was, and my condition is by no means mild.  Two months in and I feel a bit sleepy but thats all.  Good luck, the nausea is a passing phase in my experience.   I hope you can bear this phase and it helps. :-) 
  • Posted

10mg is a very low does,its like an adult taking calpol it will ease the pain a bit but not 4 long,think you need to be on a bit higher does as i think its the depression and anierty thats causing the headaches and stuff not the meds
  • Posted

Hi, 

I started on Citalopram about 3 months ago, for the same reaosns you gave; and i experienced the same side effects as you. it took about a month and a half to get to a point where I could sleep through the night, I never had a problem getting to sleep, but staying asleep was a hge problem, this made me really tired and gave me lower moivation at work etc. This did settle down. 

I really feel better for taking this medication, Ive not had any really low moments, however occasionally i get a cluster of days where the tiredness/ nausea and headaches come back for a series of days, or i cant sleep. I don't know for sure whether its the tablets but I assume it is. 

Hang in there! You will feel better 

L x

• Posted

Thanks so much for getting back to me Lauren this has give me a little hope although it doesnt seem to have done much for the anxiety im wondering if that takes longer than the depression, so glad your feeling better and hope the rest of it subsides soon x
  • Posted

Hi all. I'm 8 days in with citalopram. I came on here looking to see when I might expect the nausea and insomnia to settle down. I did try Prozac four years ago and whilst the anxiety side effects were horrific, forums like these reassured me to keep going as there would be benefits at the other side of the initial side effects. I have to say there were.

This feels milder but my mouth is dry, I roll my tongue and wring my hands (fortunately I can control this in public!!) I feel like I have too much energy in my system and yet feel exhausted and anxious (though I was anxious before so hard to know what is symptom and what is side effect). I feel quite confident it will settle, but any reassurances welcome! Thanks all x

• Posted

Newbie ????

I don't even know how to create me own post lol.

Long story short I'm on my 3rd dose. Prescribed 40mg! I lost it. Call me crazy, but I got all the fun and more. Vomiting, diarrhea, huge anxiety, restlessness, tremors, a blinding headache( overly sensitive to sounds and light), scatter brained, clumsy, forgetful,muscle weakness, insomnia, and the wonderful nausea that pops over to visit when it is of course convenient. All which left me in a distorted state, I couldn't sit or lay still, my bed is too comfortable and sleeping next to my overly exhausted husband wasn't an option. I slept nearly all day and leaving the house or driving to the corner store was not minutely possible or responsible.

I cannot sleep unless I'm completely physically, mentally, and or emotionally EXHAUSTED.

****BTW on day 2 I had wobbly legs, I could control it but my legs felt like they were giving out on me. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS????****

Day 2 was better besides the nausea. I did nap - I try not to lately. I was also distracted as my husband and I took s drive for work. I think that helped.

Day 3

Symptoms are back! -20 mg and almost as severe as day 1.

My prescriber whom also counsels has really left me to my own devices. My normal therapist luckily is very knowledgeable and is helping guide me through for the time being.

After the initial first day I chose to try cutting down to 10mg but the pills are so small I decided to just go down to 20 for good measure.

Let's see what the rest of the week brings.. I chose to keep going the best I can. My doctor and his office are is not being responsible. But I need this do

I can't handle anything but feeling like I'm crawling lit of my skin ??????? And the blinding headache.

Thoughts?

• Posted

Hi.  I posted above as I felt very nauseous at first with high levels of energy in my body - see above.  From my understanding it nots a good idea to go straught to 40mg for the reasons you are describing.  Its good you are down to 20mg.  If you are able to take it easy whilst your body adapts, my experience is that its completely worth it.  I rarely medicate my condition (Body dysmorphia) and was meds free for four years, but got overwhelmed by anxiety and constant negative precooupation with myself.   I have found citalopram wonderful.  I feel the full range of emotions (I hate feeling numb like I did on Prozac), but it stops me droppng into depair.  The only side effect after a month is being a little more tired than usual, but otherwise all other side effects have subsided.  If its at all bearable then I'd recommend sticking with it, but do talk to your prescriber just to be on safe side.  SSRI's alwasy seem to be intense when you first start them.  I wish you well :-)

• Posted

Hi I'm on day 12 for severe anxiety. It's only gotten worse on citalopram. Idk what to do. I have no motivation to even shower. I feel like giving up... how r u doing now? I just want to hide in bed. I feel hopeless

• Posted

Hi Fern

I hope you are well.

I used to take citalopram for a while and from what I remember, it did take quite a while until it kicked in and started working.

To be honest it didn't really help for me and like all ADs it usually takes up to 6 weeks until it settles in your system and makes changes.

During that time, that is when it is expected that you experience a bundle of side effects as the medication is changing and altering chemical reactions in your brain to some extent.

If you feel that after about 5-6 weeks you are still the same with regards to these side effects, then it's best to try a different medication which may be better for you.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

My dr put me on 10 for a week and then wants me to up it to 20 I think I may be smoking my self up I kinda have a slight burn in my chest. Will this go away. They told me to take a zanex if I start feeling of my anxiety coming up. What do I do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.