How long does it take Metformin to work?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Guys

I have always eaten pretty healthy and for some reason I can get my a1c down, with out meds its 6.5. I was put on victoza and in a week my blood sugars where normal my a1c ended up being a 5.4. but due to how expensive it is in the USA I had to go on metformin and stop the victoza. My sugars are now running 140-180. I have been on 2000mg and not seeing much of a change for 2 months. No side effects at all. I did just have surgery so Im not sure if that is causing my blood sugars to raise. Any feed back would be great! I even did the Keto diet and didn't lose weight or change my blood sugars.. grrrr

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I can't answer your question regarding metformin, but I do know that when ever I am not feeling well I have a lot of difficulty controlling my blood sugar. 

I think it would be same with the surgery that you had. 

• Posted

Diabetes is what it is, and metformin is good by itself for some minor cases, but otherwise a diabetic may need other drugs, up to and including insulin.

I've heard it can take two months to have full effect, but I don't know how valid that is, I suspect whatever it's going to do you'll see most of much faster than that.

If you're controlling your diet the last element is exercise, I hope you're getting an hour or so of mild exercise per day, that's what seems to work the best - not more, and not harder.  It somehow reduces insulin resistance, that besides a lack of insulin is the problem for type2.

Not sure what else to say, at some point you have to try what the doctors tell you.

• Posted

Hi Deedee, let me just emphasize that for diabetics exercise is not just a good idea, just a modest amount of exercise WILL IMPROVE YOUR READINGS BY 10-20 POINTS *TODAY*!
    • Posted

Thank you Ive started walking each day so far and I do feel better! I realize this has to be a way of life for me which in the long run is something we should be doing... being more active!
  • Posted

A low carb, low fat, gluten free diet will shift your weight....exercise is crucial, walking, swimming. You must count the carbohydrates in everything you eat, no bread, potatoes, pasta or rice...

Eat berries and small amounts, very few a day...green apples are fine but not a whole apple at once, slice it and eat it throughout the day. Drink plenty of water.....no processed food. Stress needs to be managed...find ways to relax, meditate, do some yoga, massages.

Use in your cooking, ginger, lots of garlic, fenugreek , drink green tea, cinnamon. Boron.....very important, do some research.

• Posted

I don't think that you should give up on victoza if it was working for you. I can understand that they are expensive but you can use the medical cover money provided by the insurance company. Also, there are chances that your workplace covers your medical treatments, mine does! You can talk this out with the Human Resource department. I don't know much about victoza.

I'm on metformin since I was diagnosed and it works for me. Also, there are chances that some side-effect happened because of metformin that you didn't realized. In my case it was nausea and stomach ache. However you can check the list of metformin side-effects here https://zovon.com/drugs/drug-by-condition/drugs-treating-type-ii-diabetes/ just to double check.

• Posted

I have been on metformin for a couple of years now. Had quite a few side effects including diarrhoea but it did eventually settle down. I now take 2 a day and take them together after my evening meal.

Hope that helps

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.