How Long does it take PPIs to Leave the System?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Does anybody know? I can't find any definitive info on the net anywhere. My ankles are swollen from taking Omeprazole. I took the last one on Saturday morning. Should the swelling be down by now or do PPIs take longer to leave the body? Thanks.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been taking omeprazole 20 mg  for along time. my Dr said I needed it daily. About a year ago whenI went for a checkup I had been out of my pills for about 5 days and had no problems but a few days later I started vomiting  green bile in the middle of the night ,,so he said I had  to stay  on the pills  ,, I wanted to stop taking them because of the side efforts..In the last year my stomach has gotten huge and I didn't know why?? I did some searching about all the side effects  long term with this medicine and I was shocked  it said it can cause swelling in the stomach and sores in the stomach. I have been off the pills for over a week Instead I drink about 8oz of warm  water with lemon and a little honey with a ginger capsule. I read giner helps stomach problems  So far no problems I hope this helps ... It is better than taking those pills

• Posted

My GP said that one has to take something for extra acid otherwise higher risk of stomach cancer! No idea if true or said to frighten
  • Posted

I know my Dr said I needed it daily but  the more I researched it  ,,I think he is wrong I read a article that said it can cause tumors that could turn cancerous,, if you have been on it for years. I did develop sores in my stomach lining ayear ago and had to take medicine for it but the Dr did not say it was from the pills I was on.  I did find out they don;t tell youu all the side effects of taking omeprazole long term. If we don't have enough acid we can not digest food right also I read it depletes your magnesium  and you can not absorb B12  i hope this helps   I don't want to confuse you ,, everybody has different symptoms also I am 73  and age does affect how the body works

• Posted

I was on omeprazole for 18 days. After the first two or three days I started having muscle pains like I had exercised too much or something in my legs. Both sides of my legs kind of behind my knees and just up a little bit same spot and then some few days later my some of my arm muscles started hurting and more of my leg muscles started hurting and eventually after trying to talk two different doctors I went to the pharmacist and she told me to get off the omeprazole for about 7 days and see if that didn't help. After 7 days I spoke to a different pharmacist and he said to take a Benadryl at night but don't take the omeprazole. I have been off the omeprazole for 13 days and my leg muscles still hurt and my ankles are swollen

• Posted

Hi Mare1599,

Reading your post, I’m kind of freaking out because I’ve had almost the same thing happen to me. I was on pantoprazole (apparently very similar to omeprazole) for about 3 weeks, but stopped taking it a couple days ago. I started having achey muscles and joints throughout my body, behind my knees as well within the first few days of being on it. Also feeling more tired than usual. Although I like my GI dr., he kind of brushed off my symptoms and told me to see my general practitioner regarding these new symptoms. I haven’t had swelling in my ankles, but slightly in my fingers and wrists. So strange. My stomach symptoms have gotten better and I ended up having an endoscopy that showed my esophagus, stomach & small intestine to be normal. Dr said my digestive symptoms could be from my gallbladder polyps. 

Im sorry to hear about your muscle aches and swelling, but I’m glad I’m not alone, I have wondered if I’m imagining these symptoms because I tend to be a worrywart. I see this post is from 6 months ago, I’m wondering if you have stayed off of the omeprazole and if your muscle aches have gone away? I’m going to see a GP in a couple weeks, but I’m really hoping this medicine didn’t so something permanently damaging to my body. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• Posted

I haven’t had the pains and aches that you have had but have been trying to get off Omeprazole.  Was on it for 10 years.  It has taken me about 15 months but think I am nearly there now.  I did the usual halving the dose, then every other day etc.  Went into ranitidine (which didn’t help much), took gaviscon liquid but find double strength better.  I did get some enzyme tablets from the health food shop and they have been fantastic.  I have some omeprazole in the cupboard just in case but fingers crossed haven’t used it for a month now.  It’s very tiresome but worth trying everything! 
  • Posted

Hi Rose, trying to get off this stuff. If I run out of my script, I have problems that night, same day. Kinda strange about what was said about the reflux and how tou don't reproduce unless you keep taking. I struggle with swollen limbs and didn't know taking this could be my problem. If I get heartburn or acid reflux from not taking it one day, will weaning myself be the way to quit?

• Posted

I have been on Omeprazole for 11 years 40 mg. I have tried to get off at but nothing else relieves my severe reflux. I have had swollen ankles fingers legs and face all these years and I have had to accept them. Now I have developed chronic kidney disease stage 3 and there's nothing I can take that will relieve the acid reflux. Even though I know it has been accused of causing CKD. Do you have any ideas have you tried anything that helps?

• Posted

Kimberle ... Have you tried eating every 2 hours? That way, the food in your stomach stops the acid getting up onto your esophagus. Food intolerances can also cause AR. I found I was gluten intolerant years after I started on a PPI. It was probably gluten that caused my AR in the first place. sad
  • Posted

I am still here 3 years later. I'm no longer on Omaprezole, but I have been left with not enough stomach acid for protein digestion. I have put myself on a vegan diet to help take pressure off my kidneys as undigested protein leaks out through the kidneys and can damage them. Having too little stomach acid also causes heartburn, but I have found a simple solution. I eat every 2 hours. This keeps food in the stomach and prevents acid getting up onto the esophagus. If only I'd known this years ago before Omaprezole harmed me.

• Posted

Hello everyone 

I had terrible throat pain and hurt to talk in December. Drs put me on ppis telling me I had Gerd, although I had no Gerd symptoms whatsoever. Well, in February, my ppis were upped to 40mg 2xs daily and rantidine 300mg nightly. 

I began feeling really sick and started to have severe Gerd symptoms upon increasing dosage. I was switched from omneprazole to nexium , then I decided I wanted entirely off these meds bc all day I was sufferering from severe indigestion, chest and throat pain, terrible belching, feeling super sick and uncomfortable. Still on the rantidine at night but off ppis entirely. It’s been a week today and I’m still having these awful symptoms. Can someone please tell me this goes away? Why is this taking so long? It doesn’t matter what I eat or drink. I fear I’ve ruined my insides and I am uncomfortable all day. Someone please tell me how long it takes to get things back to normal. 

I’m a 33 yo female.

• Posted

Hi Roseluttrell

I am sorry to hear u suffer

I am also in the same page but By Gods Grace I decided to come out of this cold turkey asap

Here is the list of things I started

1) Don’t panic and try meditation of words from the Bible ( which I do) or any thing which calms ur. Mind and remember it’s all mind game . All are unique.so are the results.

I was panicked and ended up taking lorazepam 

2) try natural things 

I use DGL, slippery elm ,enzymes pre and probiotic. Tried chamomile tea and persimmon tea

I heard ACV helps and have to try that too.

3) More water can flush this drug out faster

from the system.

Take pomegranate juices, Kefir for soothe ing 

4) have more alkaline foods and water with higher ph

5) stop gluten lactose tomato yoghurt for a while now

Remember to eat healthy calories to keep ur weight normal

I had a very bad start the first time I used esomeprazole , drug

I went ER due to panic and hunger that day.

Later I find out this cold turkey is the real culprit 

It’s stupidity that some people take it OTC

ANYWAYS 

ITS HARD TO GO THROUGH BUT YOU CAN 

DONT PRESS THE PANIC BUTTON LIKE I DID ,AND EVEN IF U HAV TO PRESS IT.  DONT SHY

I SINCERELY WISH ALL OF U HERE BE HEALED

ALL D BEST

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.