How long does it take T3 to fully leave your system?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I recently went from taking levothyroxine alone to a combination of this with liothyonine (t3). Unfortunately the t3 caused an intense pounding heart so I stopped taking it.

It has been 6 days and I'm still experiencing a bit of pounding, which I never had previously with levothyroxine alone. Is this still the t3 in my system?

I know it has a half life of about 24 hours, but does anyone know how long it takes to completely leave the body/blood cells etc?

Many thanks and happy Christmas!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hello:

The body takes a bit of time to FULLY clear and it can take up to 2 to weeks as long  as you take no more Liothyronine.

• Edited

Hi Again:

The post accidently sent before I finished.  It can take 2 to 3 weeks as long as you take no more Liothyronine (cytomel).  Everyday it should go down and if only on it a short time, it may be a bit quicker.

Hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly! Yes I'm off it completely now. The heart pounding is gradually getting less so must need to wait another week or two smile xx
  • Posted

I had a bad reaction to NDT at the beginning of October and think the T3 was the cause. Think it might be to do with my adrenals but that's another story. It took me around 10 weeks to feel 'normal' again. Feel fine now. 
    • Posted

Thanks- funny you should mention adrenals as they are going to do the dexamethasone suppression test on me (cortisol) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.