How long does it take to become ill if you have low immunity?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Every year, I get a bad cough. I have free flu jabs, so OK there, but because I use Methotrexate, my immune system is lowered.

I am feeling a bit cross as, yesterday afternoon, I met up with a friend who had a very bad cough, I found out too late. I noticed that she didn't cover her mouth either with her hand or arm, so I tried to keep out of her direct 'aim'. Unfortunately, she was on the phone at one point and I had to lean across her to find some paper for her to write on. She coughed full in my face within a few inches, without covering her mouth.

This morning, I woke up feeling pretty rough. I can tell that one of my normal winter coughs is coming but not sure if it's just from general mingling with crowds (though I haven't actually been out much) or if it was my friend who has started me off on one of my 2 or 3 month coughs. I don't like feeling bad about my friend, but she doesn't realise just how ill I generally get. If I become ill, I have to stop taking my Methotrexate as my immune system will 'go down' even further, and this will have the knock-on effect of, if I'm off it for too long, my rheumatoid arthritis or ulcerative colitis (or both) possibly starting up again. She was feeling down and depressed and I didn't want to mention it, but I do have to take care of my own health. I am 67.

Can you get symptoms overnight after someone coughs direct in your face, in which case I can only put it down to her, or does it take a lot longer, in which case I won't feel cross about her jeopardising my health and I can put it down to general 'mingling'?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It usually take 2-3 days to get symptoms from someone else. But you need to let your friends know about your health. People can be quite inconsiderate and ignorant when it comes to their germs. If you develop symptoms, go to your doctor and ask if you need antibiotics.

Avoid cheek kissing and hugging, which I know can be hard with certain people, but even if someone doesn't have a cough or cold they can be carrying the virus. It can appear quite rude to some people, but you have to be so careful with a weak immune system and when you explain your situation to people, they won't mind.

• Posted

Actually I would say it depends on the nature of the virus and the nature of your immune system.

That was indeed very ignorant behavior on the part of your friend .

What I can advice you, if you have a low immune system is to consistently use garlic. If you do not have allergies or are not intolerant to garlic, use it.

And maybe consider boosting your health and immune system using vitamins and supplements

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.