How long does it take to get back to normal.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I went for my 6 weeks review and was told I'm out of hip precautions and can start getting back to normal. My next check up at hospital is now in 6 months.

I wrongly assumed that I'd be able to get dressed without my aids etc.

Each day I try to do a bit more.

With a struggle I can dress without my grabber but still can't reach my feet so use my sock aid.

I've found some exercises on line from another hospital specifically for post 6 weeks.

So my question is how long before my operated leg feels like Normal ' again.

Walking is not a problem, I do about 45 minutes a day at a fast pace with no pain.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think everyone heals differently and you just have to listen to your body.  I am at 9 weeks post op, I returned to work two weeks after surgery and was walking without and assistant.  At 5 weeks I was able to dress myself less socks and shoes.  Now at 9 weeks I've changed the oil in my truck, climbed up and down a latter taking christmas lights down and yesterday I cut down down five tree's in my backyard.  But then again I wore my hip out by the age of 40 so sitting still is not my style.

• Posted

Hi, it sounds as though you are doing very wellsmile  Good for you!

I too had a positive outcome and was walking very quickly without pain.  I'm now 7 months post op and feel normal again.  I still worry a little when I go down stairs, but so far I haven't had any issues.  My surgeon told me to allow a year for absolute full recovery. 

• Posted

Just to clarify... I was able to walk and move around sooner than most because I was put on very good pain meds.  I can't imagine what it would have been like if I hadn't.  My doctor slowly lowered the doses every 2-3 weeks post op. until I was completely off at 12 weeks.  After that, regular Ibuprofin helped during times that I over did things.  Ice was also a huge help for pain relief.  I've read some posts where some doctors don't provide enough pain management.  Those patients didn't do as well and were miserable having to deal with the unnecesary pain.  We don't live in the middle ages, so there is no reason that you shouldn't take full advantage of prescription medication as needed. 

• Posted

Yes hippy I was told at 6 weeks all restrictions are off.Unfortunately that doesnt  mean you can do any of them!!!! I used my grabber for weeks and weeks and still cannot put on one sock without pain, sleep on operated side, cross bad leg ( think that is permenant) and do everything I did before and I AM 20 WEEKS IN. So all restrictions off means you dont have to be quite so dehabilitated but it doesnt mean that all of these things are duable! Increasingly I am being told 6 months or one year and at this rate I feel that is far more realistic.For all those exceptionally lucky people who can just jump back in pain free after the op ,good for you but regretably  not everyone is alike.
    • Posted

I was told 'no restrictions'  12 weeks after my revision - back to a normal life, so a couple of months later I was up on my workshop roof repairing it lol.  My wife nearly had kittens, but I knew I was ok.

I have just started doing Pilates, and really feeling benefits from the slow and purpouseful control of my core muscles.  I must add a new section to my website on it.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Hi Hippy28,

I am almost 6 months post LTHR. I started stationary cycling at 6 weeks and road cycling at 12 weeks. I feel the cycling hastened my recovery back to normality. I still get the odd twinge and am sometimes stiff after sitting for long periods but otherwise feel pretty normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.