How Long does it take to heal Mild Gastritis

Posted , 20 users are following.

Im a 34 yr old male. I woke up one night shaking like i was freezing cold, then i went under a blanket then it all passed after about 30 min. The same morning i started to have sharp pain in my upper abdomen and felt like its on fire. So i started taking omeprazole 20mg 1 a day. After about 2 weeks i felt better, but i noticed i started to get anxiety depression severe stage id say along with a headache. So i stopped taking it and it made me feel wayyy better. So i went to GI and he said lets check for h pylori, so we did urea breath test and it was negative. Best test to have by the way. So after 1 week negative results. So we schedule the endoscopy, and that same night before the test i had anxiety attack at night and went to er and they said i got anxiety and didnt gave me anything and sent me home. The anxiety made me shake shiver for 45 min non stop and i could not even talk was shaking badly. I did take omeprazole again for 4 days before ER. So thats when i found out omeprazole gave me horrible side effects. So no no no more omeprazole. Stay away! So after endoscopy doc took a few tissues to check for bacteria cancer h pylori...etc. After a week he told me i had mild gastritis nothing else. So the question i have how long till it goes away? I have to eat every 3 hrs otherwise i start to feel horrible and shaky and very nervous. But i feel lump in my throat and belching after i eat. I also tried zantac and it is making me dizzy very dizzy very foggy in my brain. Also with all these symptoms especially on omeprazole i felt like i was about to faint very very bad nausea. About to faint is a very bad feeling to have. So if anyone had same symptoms please share.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

same with me in all your sympton except that I'm not much hurt.

I'm quit Nexium 3 week ago and start diet, it's not much better but I'm not stress because of it any more. Maybe you can try to diet plan. I read that the gastritis will take very long long time to heal but don't give up.

God Bless all of us, this f*** disease.

• Posted

I had terrible experiences with doctors putting me on meds that took me from mild reflux symptoms to a full blown breakdown of my digestive system and diagnosed gastritis. I ended up with absolutely insane bloating, gas, pain, nausea, diarrhea, and was passing undigested food. I thought I was dying.

I'm not a doc, but here is what I have learned:

If you are taking PPIs, don't quit them cold turkey. It's dangerous. You need to wean off of them slowly.

Don't be afraid to get an endoscopy. It could confirm if you have gastritis and test for h pylori infection. If you do, there are easy, proven treatments and many natural remedies to kill the bugs.

If, like me, you have gastritis but don't have h pylori, your condition might be stress related and could actually be caused by LOW stomach acid.

No one ever tested my acid levels before putting me on acid blocking PPIs, but it turns out that low stomach acid can also cause reflux.

The last thing you want is to take PPIs and lower your stomach acid when you already have low stomach acid, so don't be afraid to ask for an acid test.

Now, I have found that buying powdered slippery elm root (can be found on amazon) and drinking it like a tea eliminates almost all gastritis pain. Supposedly it makes the stomach produce mucus. All I know is that it works.

For stomach acid and digestion problems, I buy HCL (hydrochloric acid) supplements. They also exist on amazon, and they changed my life, but again, they are to treat low acid levels.

How might you know if you have low stomach acid?

I realized it by accident. I had been eating a bland diet and avoiding acidic foods, but one day on vacation when I fell off the wagon and drank the hotel's orange juice, I noticed it helped my digestion. I wouldn't recommend orange juice as a treatment, just to be clear, it doesn't work nearly as well and is full of sugar, but you can perform tests on yourself using citrus to see if it seems to make you feel a little better. If so, you might want to try some HCL supplements. I take one pill with heavy meals (high fat/protein), and it allows me to digest food normally without any extra gas, bloating, or pain.

I'm still amazed. To help with long term healing of my gut, I also started eating a much cleaner diet-no processed junk, no sugar, no alcohol, no coffee (that was a tough one), and none of the foods that I had become sensitive to (nuts, tomatoes, dairy, red meat). It has now been over a year, and my overall health is ridiculously better, but I'm still not 100% with my stomach lining. I've gotten to where I am no longer sensitive to the foods I just mentioned, but I still take the slippery elm and HCL pretty regularly and eat clean to keep improving. Doing this has made me healthier than ever in a general sense. I even smell better when I'm sweaty! I still get a small amount of stomach pain if I eat too much protein without supplementing though.

Again, I'm not a doc and a lot of things can cause stomach problems, so don't take this as gospel, but it took me a long time to discover these supplements, and they, along with trying to reduce stress levels, were my keys to recovery.

• Posted

Hello Marc, my name is Louis and I am happy that you are doing well. You might want to try cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar with the mother as other natural remedies. I too went through the same symptoms and saw improvements. Good luck !
  • Posted

I know its been an year since youve posted last, but are you still having same problems and anxiety ?
  • Posted

Hello!

I am 24 years old and am experience the same symptoms. I admitted myself to the hospital twice because of severe dizziness, feeling faint and nauseas. My head was burning my stomach was bloated. Both times they said I was clear of any infection. Apparently they don’t test for H pylori because two months later I was tested positive. Months later I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with chronic gastritis, esophogitus, duodenitis. I know the ppi is not causing the severe anxiety because I experienced that before taking the meds.  Luckily reading these forums makes me feel not so alone. My advice to you is to focus on eating healthy! Nothing acidic including tomatoes and oranges! Take turmeric supplements, L Glutamine and magnesium. Eat foods high in fiber. Let me know if you have any advice for me I would really appreciate it. 

• Posted

Hi there

Have been reading these posts and feeling like I need to tell my story. I’m hoping someone out there will be able to encourage me as I’m feeling very low and discouraged. I’m 52 and have suffered with gastritis since November of 2017 (diagnosed with endoscopy). I’ve been trying to eat bland organic food, no alcohol, no coffee, no chocolate. 

I’m taking ranitidine 150mg  twice/day, and hoping to wean off in the next few weeks.

I’m scared this will be life long. Please Please if anyone can give me some positive encouragement like how you cured yourself or that you have been cured please write. I need some encouragement now!! 

Thank you, 

J

• Posted

Hello Julia!

I am so sorry to hear that you have been dealing with gastritis. I was also diagnosed with chronic gastritis, esophagitis, deudenitis (GERD) in May after fighting H. Pylori. Julia I can not tell you the hell I went through avoiding anything acidic from caffeine

And alcohol to tomatoes and oranges! I felt like I was obsessing over anything that could potentially cause me pain. I had been dealing with symptoms since September of 2017. I’m 24 years old and felt like I was nearing 80! Fatigued, anxiety, depressed. 

The reason I went off on that tangent is because what I’m about to say might seem a little unrealistic or difficult, but I was so desperate I met with a nutritionist who recommended a plant based diet (vegan). I love my steak, chicken salmon, but I was willing to try anything at that point. I’m not saying this is 100 percent what you need to do, but it has made a HUGE difference for me! 

Supplements such as tumeric, peppermint, ginger, garlic are all good for gut health! I hope this helps! 

P.S if you What the Health? On Netflix it’s pretty inspiring! Not trying to sell you on this whole “vegan” fad is Californians are on, but it’s more than just a fad.... this s**t works!

• Posted

Hi Katie, how are you feeling now? Has your gastritis settled down after eating better and taking your supplements? Have you healed? I’m sorry that you have been suffering too. 

Julia

• Posted

Hey Julia,

Yes I am feeling a lot better! I was low

Energy for months and gaining weight I now have been able to workout without fatigue, or pain during my workouts. It’s just really helped with inflammation. I know that it is healing but I still refrain from drinking a lot of alcohol. I have a glass of wine every once in awhile 🙂. Dairy just aggravates my GERD and meat is also acidic which I didn’t know so cutting that out has helped significantly. 

• Posted

Hi Katie

Hope you are doing even better now.

I'm trying to get going with the whole foods plant based diet but since I've alredy lost a ton of weight 

because of gastritis I find it difficult to eat enough calories.

Can you tell me how you get enough calories on plant based diet and not irritate your stomach with too much volume of food ?

Also, what do you eat ? smile Almost every recipe I find relies heavily on chili, peppers, garlic, onions etc.

• Posted

Hi Daniel! 

That’s awesome that you are trying it out! I tend to eat smoothies because you can mix it up all the time and it’s super soft on your stomach. I usually like putting peanut butter for calories also I never forget bananas! Sometimes I shove two in.

There’s also coconut yogurt which is dairy free tastes good and has probiotics. Cocoa powder for energy and chocolate sweetness for my sweet tooth. Chia seeds are a great super food! Maca powder, super greens. Also for dinner ideas rice is a good carb source and also easy on your stomach. 

I say if you are going right into it and your used to eating dairy and meet it’s okay to slowly cut it out like maybe still eat eggs and fish! Also the ingredients you mentioned above are also good as long as it’s balanced with alkaline. I would still stay away from peppers 🌶 

Let me know how it goes!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.