How long does it take to recover from a severe acute pancreatitis attack?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 74 year old healthy male who does not drink or smoke or have any history leading to a SEVERE pancreatitis attack that put me in the hospital on IV's for a week.  The doctor said it was due to my diabetes. I am 6'1" and weighed 210, but now I'm down to 190 after 1 month. Before, I would walk 3-4 miles a day, cut down trees in our woods and was very active. Now, I have no energy or strength.  My doctor said my pancreas is very "fragile" because the attack (1st one) was so severe and that I had a fatty liver (news to me).  They said it usually takes about 6 months for the pancreas to fully heal, but going to the stores and running errands is tiring for me. I know it's related to my pancreas, but what can I do in the meantime? Is exercising and walking good for me or do I need to pace myself. I am eating alot more healthier now and sleeping well - I don't know if this is normal or not?  Please help me understand because I know nothing of pancreatitis except the pancreas regulates blood sugar and digestion.  Thanks for your website - it is very helpful. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am 68 and was in excellent health before an acute attack in 2015.  I recovered from that (it took about 2-3 months) fairly easily, with adjustments to a low-fat diet and steering clear of alcohol (I really didn't drink much to begin with).  Exercise is good for you, but don't push yourself too much.  I DID recover to pretty much where I was before the attack, but about 15 months later, I had a "flare up" that wasn't as bad as the acute attack, but I've still not recovered my level of fitness, nor have my symptoms been lessened to as great a degree as I'd hoped.  I can have two days feeling perfectly "normal" and energetic, etc.  But then the I get hit with bloating, gas and severe abdominal and back pains.  Since the flare up, I've been diagnosed with Chronic pancreatitis, and have had one surgical event (an ERCP with a placement of a stent) and been put on PERT (pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy) as well as continuing with a low fat diet, and using NSAIDs and opiods for pain management.  I had hoped for more improvement by now, but this disease is progressive and my doctors and I are still working on how to better manage that.  I just had to cancel a 3-week vacation that last year, would have been no problem.  So I guess the best advise another sufferer can give you, is to pace yourself.  Stay super-hydrated.  Hey, you are sleeping well!  That is fantastic.  I'm lucky to make it from midnight to 3AM without being awakened with pain.  Keep eating healthy and good luck to you!  Since I went well over a year without additional problems after that first (and only) acute attack, I keep thinking surely I can get control of this again.    If you are "fated" to have more problems, you should do as much as you can to keep the good health you now enjoy, because there will be greater barriers to surmount if problems start up.   Both my GI surgeon and GP have told me to include exercise in my treatment going forward.  Like you, I haven't lost a tremendous amount of weight, and I've been able to eat healthily without going to totally liquid or even more restrictive diets than what I have been following (less than 20 grams of fat per day).  

• Posted

Thank you SO MUCH for all the information you provided.  My heart goes out to you because of what you've been going through.  Only a fellow pancreas sufferer can truly understand how horrible and painful this is.  I still don't understand it, but we (my wife and I) have started cooking more veggies, lean meats and fruits. My doctor seems concerned about keeping my sugar levels down due to diabetes (they think the diabetes caused it)..  However, you talked about eating low fat; is fat a big factor?  How about cheese and milk?  My gallbladder was removed 12 years ago, and I haven't had any problem with fat since then (but we don't eat fried foods either).  What foods were you advised to eat?  We are from a small town and our doctors don't give us alot of info about wellness (only what we get off the internet).  We are just learning how to cook fresh veggies since we are both retired.  Again, thank you so much for your quick response.  If I learn anything else that would help your situation, I will definitely let you know.  God bless you, and we'll put you on our prayer list.  There's GOT to be a better answer than what they are giving you, especially at your young age (haha - I'm 74 so that's young). Thanks again for your advice.

• Posted

I'm 40 years old and have had chronic pancreatitis since I was about 8. I wasn't diagnosed til 18 but was the same pain reguardless of diagnosis. when I was young as soon as the pain & vomiting stopped I could've eaten nails and it wouldn't have bothered me. now @ 40 I can barely eat anything. fat is a big thing with pancreatitis. it may be a "good" fat, like peanuts or peanut butter, but your body doesn't know that. vegetables can be hard to digest as well. its hard to know what to eat. I stick with foods that are mostly bland, easier to digest. I stay in a constant state of upset stomach. I'm on pain medication daily and still hurt and nauseous. try bland foods with lower fats, it helps quite a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.