How long does it take to regulate blood pressure?

Posted , 8 users are following.

It's me again the blood pressure obsessor. Ok so around mid Feburary, on a doc visit, it was discovered my bp was 135/92. High but stable. Well because, my mom and sister have hbp I freaked! I took my bp repeatedly that night in total disbelief. By the time I was ready to go to bed that night, I blew it up to 156/95. After that because I was so stressed and worried about it my bp became totally unstable. In the next few days my readings were all over the place from, 122/88-168/113! I was so up and down it made me sick. I had so much pressure behind my eyes and head associated with headaches. Needless to say my worse fear came true and my doc put me on meds. Amplodipine (5mg) and Triamterene (37.5-25 mg). I absolutely HATE taking these meds. Within less than a month my bp came down to 110ish/72-86ish. My top number seemed to be pretty stable throughout most days but the bottom seemed to still wanna go a little high. I thought maybe I was ready to get off this crap so, I started cutting the pills in half for a week. Then just stopped taking them. Well I lasted for about a week, and that bottom number started going high again causing the top to go up too. I'm back to taking the full pills again. How long does it take for bp to stabilize? I'm trying to eat more fruit, veggies, drink more water etc. Before all this I was abusing saline laxatives, getting hardly any sleep, and had not too long before come off energy drinks. When would the doctor think it's time to cut my dosage in half or take me off the pills? Would my blood pressure have to become super low? Should my bp be stabilized by now? Why won't my bottom number come down like the top? Everyone keeps saying because, I'm stressing about it. When I stopped the meds I was nervous and didn't trust my body to be able to do it on it's own. Sure enough I started feeling pressure in my head and my bp started doing waves again. Anxiety can't do this to you? Does anxiety and worry control the bottom number? I don't want to have to take this medicine forever. It's awful. Now that I'm back on the meds my bp ranges from 99-116/65-88. Will I ever be able to get off the meds? sad I am in a HUGE depression spiral right now, but it's mainly due to my bp.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

P.S.- I'm so apprehensive about these drugs because, all I've ever heard is once you start them your body will be totally dependent on them, and there's no turning back after that. I wish I didn't freak out initially because, it's possible I would have been able to bring my bp down naturally. Now I'm forever locked into these heinous drugs at 33yrs old.
  • Posted

Hi Me914,

It sounds like you have had a rough time with your blood pressure.

I am in a similar situation.  My dr. put me on lisinopril, but it has side effects I don't like.  I read everything I could about blood pressure meds.  I now take a water pill in the morning, which helps.  I also alternate one of the two dose of lisinopril each day with an herbal blood pressure product sold over the counter.  One is Carditone and the other is Cardimap or Cardiomap.  Both are sold on Amazon.  For now it is working.  In one way, I think we are lucky because we feel badly when our bp goes up.  Many people don't feel anything when their blood pressure goes up.  It's a lot of trial and error.  My doctor reluctantly allowed me to do this.  He doesn't believe in herbal supplements, but as long as I take my bp several times each day, he has agreed to go along.

• Posted

It is hard to accept taking meds. I think we all feel the same way but the alternative of having a stroke or heart attack is worse.  I know the effects of having a stroke and what it does to the whole family after my mother had one at 72years old and was left with brain damage.  It might seem old to you at such a young age but believe me before you know it you are there yourself. I am 56years old but in my head about40years old and not ready for the worse yet
  • Posted

Stress will put bp up.

I was on tablets but they were not helping and caused my feet and knees to swell ( I have arthritis and Amlodipine targets joint problems somehow) I  told my dr I was coming off the medication after he changed the tablets and still no good results i was not happy taking the tablets and that concern was probably putting my bp up.

, have joined slimming world and have lost two stone which is great, also take glucosamine and chrondroitim supplements and rose hip supplements. My bp is flown now !  

• Posted

Oops, typing error in my earlier reply. Should say my BP is now down.

• Posted

Its a nightmare to be on the hamster wheel of BP! This is my 3rd 24hr blood pressure text in 5 years.... I'm only in my early 40s. My BP is high at the docs (high ish at home) doc takes it - it spikes. I have a nightmare few weeks trying to forget about it, have a 24hr test, it falls at night so they avoid medication. I go home, refuse any body test for another year or so. Doc insists, I let them take it - high again, another 24hr test. Wish they'd just give me the proper medication as walking round with 185/107 makes me feel like a time-bomb! I understand your anxiety Me914
    • Posted

that sounds like me white coat syndrome and then woorying about it , I get 180/104  in docs high at home first reading and then lower, so yours is low during sleep what do they say about that and meds Katy
    • Posted

Not had the conversation yet Helen - just waiting for results to come through. I have asked for propranolol before as this seems to reduce any anxiety by knocking down the BP a little. I need meds that don't affect BP at night - slow release taken first thing or similar! I have an ecg next week as I have been getting flutters and my pulse is only 49 while my blood pressure is 180/95 on average. I don't understand how pulse can be slow while BP high
  • Posted

Hi Me914. I have read and re-read your post and one thing seems clear to me, and that is your anxiety which is natural BUT these feelings will adversely affect your bp readings. What I have found is that there are no "quick fixes". It is about lifestyle changes. These include your diet, exercise, medications etc. Diet should include fruit, veg and lean meats. No processed foods. Avoid added salt. Avoid high fat foods. Definately no " fast foods", pizzas etc. Add beetroot, garlic, almonds to your diet. Avoid alcohol, although in moderation can be ok.Briskly walk 30 mins every day. Avoid stress (easier said than done!) Take readings daily but do not become obsessive with them. Good luck!
  • Posted

Yes totally agree. Lifestyle changes do improve BP. Lots of fresh fruit and veg, cut out processed food, cut down on caffeine, and incorporate more exercise into daily life. Finding exercise that you enjoy be it swimming, walking, table tennis, you will find it helps with cutting down on anxiety and improves your weight and your BP
    • Posted

Good point Wendy about the caffeine. I forgot that very important bit of advice.make a note of that Me 914.......cut down or better still cut out coffee for a month and see how your readings react when combined with other suggestions. I now allow myself one cup of coffee per day, down from about six!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.