How long does it take to relieve symptoms of Blepharitis?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I am 27 years old and sadly I took two rounds of accutane when I was 20-21 years old and ever since then my eyes have been very red, dry and sensitive to light. I was diagnosed with Blepharitis shortly after finishing my accutane and the doctor had told me to do warm compresses and followed by Ocusoft lid scrubs. I honestly don't know how long I did that (probably for a few weeks if that) and had to stop becuase my eyelids were so dry and I was frustrated because I wasn't seeing any results really. I read about othe people whos eyes have been ruined due to accutane and pretty much just gave up. I did compresses here and there but never religiously, thus in all this time I have never really actually tried to treat the Blepharitis.

Fast forward to now. I've been doing more research and after actually having a better understanding of Bleph I see a bit of hope. Currently my eyes are always red, I have permanent veins in them, and I can't wear contacts more than an hour (really like 10 minutes, but i just keep putting drops every 10 minutes. Only wear them while playing sports). My eyelids are not red and don't really look swollen. From time to time I will get bumps on the portion of the eyelid that releases oils when you blink so I know that I still have a Blepharitis problem. The thing is when I take both index fingers and stretch out my upper eyelids by the lash line there is large bumps at the base of the eyelashes. I am guessing this is the Staphyloccocus bacteria?

Symptoms:

- Dry eyes

- Sensitive to light

- Randomly my eyes start to burn here and there (discomfort isn't much of a issue for me though. Mainly redness)

- cant wear contacts

- Rarely do i see any oils excreted from the MG glands on my eyelids

Currently:

- Compresses/massage morning and night

- Ocusoft Plus lids scrubs morning and night (started today)

- Taking Theratears (since 3 days ago)

- Restatis (been on it for 2 months)

I've decided to recommit myself to treating this issue because I've realized there might be a small chance I can overcome this. So I have a few questions... 

1. How long does it take to kill the Staph bacteria on the eyelids?

2. Am I doing enough or is there anything else or better I should be doing?

3. Any hope for a accutane sufferer like myself?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been suffering with bleph for nearly 30 years, as far as I'm aware and what my doctors have told me there is no cure or remedy it is in fact a condition that you must live with, dry eye is a direct result of bleph as the MB glands are blocked therefore not releasing oil which prevent the tears from evaporating, hence dry eye. There is nothing causes the blockage it is simply a condition that some people have, warm compress and hygiene only relieve the symptoms but will never clear it, all the rest of the treatments discussed on hear, wet ones wipes, blephagel and tea tree oil for example are useless and will not cure bleph. If you have any eyelid infection then that is something completely different and is not bleph. Well at least that's the way I understand it unless anybody can come up with some other idea as I would be eternally grateful.
    • Posted

So how u deal with ur Blepharirist, dear? Is it with u all days for 30years now?
    • Posted

Yes I've had it for 30 yrs and unfortunately I haven't dealt with it, I've tried everything that's discussed on these forums and nothing works, well certainly not for me.
    • Posted

Have u seen a skin doctor yet dear? So, what is ur daily self care that u do? How is ur symtop now?
    • Posted

Hi pedro. What helps your bleph please?
  • Posted

Pedro, there are many on here that have cured it with the wet ones they were not allergic. Remember, doctors are only human, can make mistakes. I believe it CAN be cured. Dena
    • Posted

Hi Dena, perhaps there has been a misunderstanding here , Bleph is not a disease or infection, it is a condition, whatever people on hear think they have cured it is not bleph but an eyelid infection, Bleph can not be cured because it is a condition. Pete..
    • Posted

Exactly, it is a condition like Eplilepsy, it cannot be cure but it can be controlled, with Epilepsy it is finding the right drugs, with Bleph it is immaculate hygiene.  I have oily skin, that was root of the problem hence the scalp condition (if you scratch your head and find your fingernails full of grease then you need to wash your scalp) if your hair follicles produce oil so do your eyelashes so they need washing with the appropriate solution, I have named the one that one that works for me, I haven't had an eye problem now for many years.
    • Posted

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Does anyone have any comments on the photo of my eyelid? Does it look like I have Bleph pretty bad? Do the white bumps (from what you can see from the poor photo) look consitent with staphyloccocus?
  • Posted

David, I can't see the photo. Do your eyes appear to be getting better? Dena smile
    • Posted

I just attached a photo in the previous comment. Are you able to see it? Thanks for the help.
  • Posted

The White bumps on your eyelids could be Blepharitis. Try the warm compresses, several times a day. After warming your eyelids for several minutes, put a clean tissue or cotton wool pad over your closed eye and massage gently. Then clean your eye with a liquid like Blephasol or a miscella gel without alcohol. 

While the Wet zones have worked for some, I ended up in eye A&E as they made my eyes so sore. But then I react to lacrilube which is often prescribed by doctors.

the course of antibiotics stopped my last flare up of a Blepharitis and with cleaning and hydrating drops ( actually prescribed for another problem with my corneas) In the past I've been symptom free for 2 years at a time but once the Bleph flares up and gets a hold its a struggle to beat it down again.

i think you'll have to push to see an eye consultant and ask him/her all the questions--- is it Bleph? Which type ? Is Demodex involved? Any other eye problems

Ive found you have to be a bit pushy, polite but I want to know. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks. So far I have been during compressess/scrubs since Monday and feels like there is a slight improvement althought I am not sure if the bumps are going down in size. Do you think it would take weeks to get rid of those bumps?
  • Posted

Sadly, yes. You have to really be committed to the compresses and the cleaning. It can take time, won't improve in just days.

for something do minor it's a pita and you do feel at times it tules your life.

but once you get it under control so it dies down you can just do cleaning morning and night and compress when you feel you need it.

it will improve but you have to stick with it.

• Posted

I have this for 5weeks now. I used eye drops from eye doctors for 2weeks. I compress and lid scrub 1-2times per day, clean face with baby shampoo few times per day. But, it still here. Can u kindly tell me how many time should do it? For how long?
    • Posted

When I visited eye doctor 2times, he only tell me to use his drops for 2weeks. My eyes generally ok, only eyelids are inflamed. He didn't give me any lubricating. Now I bought New V.Rohto eyedrops and use it serveral times per day. I feel better. But only 80%. Not clear up yet. Sometime I feel I got a bad life.
    • Posted

You might find you need to increase the cleaning and compresses to 4 times a day. After the warm compress cover your closed eye with a clean tissue or cotton wool pad and massage gently for a minute. Then clean your eye with a liquid like Blephadol or cool boiled water. 
    • Posted

What do you use to moisturize your eyelids and under eyes? Mine get super dry and I am currently trying Aquaphor.
    • Posted

Can I use normal water to clean my face? Or mix it with hot water?
    • Posted

I use very warm tap water only to wash my eyes. The heat is good for your eyes
    • Posted

I use a lotion by kirkland brand, it is more natural, comes from plants. I dont get it in my eyes, and only use it under my eyes. do you use mascarra?
    • Posted

me either. I use eye shadow for eyeliner. It's easy to wash off.
    • Posted

I use eyeliner which easy to wash off which made from coal while before I used wax. My face I do as before sun cream and powder. I use pencil for eyebrows and lipstick. Actually I rarely use mascara, I only use fake eyelashes for party.
    • Posted

What kind of eye liner is best? This is new to me. Dying Bc I wear makeup everyday and for years . Just started the cleaning. Anxious for this to be controlled

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.