How long does it take to to see evidence of toughening of the bladder wall with moderate retention ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had be BpH for about two years. In the last month or so I noticed more night time retention. I don't strain or push when I have some moderate retention. I know the pressure in the bladder is fairly high however the blockage only lets urine out at a slow rate. I am worried that the pressure will cause damage to the bladder

/ however I don't know if it's are year of this six months or longer for there to be evidence of toughening and damage of the bladder.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You really need to speak with your doctor about this and not rely on responses in this forum about your concern. Your doctor will be able to assess your risk factors. If he feels you are close to complete shutdown, he will probably encourage you to remove that blockage sooner rather than later.

I was told that I was lucky my straining/weak stream for years had not done permanent damage and that bladder shutdown could have happened at any point. I then chose what I thought was my best option and got the blockage removed (ie Median lobe) with Aquablation. See my discussion about about Aquablation. You may prefer another procedure, but go see your urologist soon to address your concern. Waiting for the most perfect cure for BPH can be ill advised for some.

• Posted

When you do talk to a Urologist ask about PAE. This is an early intervention option that is the least invasive and could buy you some time. At the very least it will help the bladder by not subjecting it to the "strains" of BPH which can lead to rehabilitation problems later on.

• Posted

It doesn't sound as though you've had severe enough problems for long enough to cause significant bladder problems. But things will probably get worse - I'd get a full work up and see what is going on.

• Posted

Agree with the others. You need to consult a urologist. With ultrasound, they can determine how much is retained in your bladder. A cystoscopy will allow the uro to examine the condition of your bladder, and if appropriate, you may be referred for a urodynamics procedure to check bladder function.

I have had to self cath for the last 2+ years due to an enlarged bladder. Like you, I did not strain or push to empty my bladder. However, my condition got worse over a period of years. Finally, after experiencing frequent urination and a very weak stream where I would void about half a urine sample cup, I was referred to a urologist. Turns out I was retaining 1.5 liters of urine, after my minimal void.

• Posted

Johnny,

You really need to see a urologist about that and not rely on this forum for answers. A cystoscopy will show the extent of bladder wall trabeculation (thickening/toughening). A urodynamics test will show the extent of detrusor muscle damage. Make sure that you chose a urologist who lets you see the cystoscopy and explains everything to you clearly. If not, then find another urologist.

After years of worsening BPH, I went into acute urinary retention (AUR) and they took 2 liters of pee out of me. 6 months later, I flunked my urodynamics test. 10 months later, my cystoscopy showed moderate trabeculation. I had a Rezum which cleared the blockage. At 3 months post-Rezum, my post void residuals (PVR's) were at 150 ml. At 10 months post-Rezum my PVR's finally dropped below 100 ml.

You do not want to damage your bladder!

Steve

• Posted

Hi. Yes, don't damage the bladder. Mine was twice normal size when my BPH was fully investigated. I passed my Urodynamics test surprisingly well but a scan showed my bladder wall was beginning to fail. I had a HoLep three years ago and hopefully there is no significant further bladder damage

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.