How long does it take Venlafaxine to work?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was told by psychiatrist when I got up to the dose of 225mg that it would take about 4 - 6 weeks to work.  I was given the hard white slow release tablets.  After 4 weeks I had a repeat prescription and the tablets were from Spain.  I could not understand why I was feeling worse and panicky.  I saw a tablet in my stools (as mentioned in the leaflet) but decided to investigate.  It was still full of powder and weighed the same as the ones still in the blister pack. I don't know if the 4 weeks of being on ones from Britain were working, although ironically on day 7 of the 4th week, I did feel calmer in the morning for about 4 hours.

I am now on day 10 of the soft gel slow release tablets and stll feel the same.  All I can do is lie in bed all morning (can't sleep) and sit in fron of telly in the afternoon.  I force myself to go for a walk most days but find it difficult, and even more difficult to get to appointments.  I am also on 30mg Mirtrazapine and 2.5 mg of Olanzapine at night. 

I am normlly a strong, cheerful, optomistice person.  I have had this awful anxiety for just over 18 months, following 4 quite traumatic things in my life.

I have found some of the postings helpful and some very scary, ie withdrwal.  I have been off work for quite a while now and just want to be me again.  I would be very grateful to hear from other about when I might see some improvement as I guess I am back at the beginning with the Venlafaxine.

Thanks

I am now on the soft gel slow release capsules and still feel very an

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie. Dont know if you still post on here as see this was 3 years ago. I'm in a major depressive episode (just want to die. is horrific. have lots of loving people around me but i feel dead inside:-(   Anyway, started on 150mg just over 4 weeks ago and was upped to 225mg just over 2 weeks ago. My sleep did improve in the first week for about 6 days but has been awful, i think because i feel so hopeless as much as anything. reading our post I wondered what happened for you in the end? Jayne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.