How long does mesalazine take to work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi guys, recently diagnosed here.

my doc had me on prednisolone for 7 weeks which eventually got me in remission towards the end. On the last week i changed onto 2400mg of mesalazine a day. However, 4 days after coming off the steroids, i seemed to start flaring again. 

My nurse has got me to double the mesalazine dose to 4800mg for a week to see if theres any improvements. I'm currently 5 days in and haven't noticed a lot of difference. I notice the capsule skins and some of the powder in my stools quite often - does this mean its not working?

How long does it take to see if a double dose of mesalazine will do the trick?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi - which version of masalazine are you using? Mezzavant or Pentasa?

I found Mezzavant made me flare again where Pentasa kept me in remission.

Mazzavant made me very windy and increased my frequency and urgency.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

I think you're right, i'm taking octasa which looks a bit like the mezzavant pills. since doubling my dose, i seem to feel worse, dont know if its the pills thats causing that or the flare just progressing! 

• Posted

Personally I self diagnosed and came off it, made me feel terrible. See if you can try Pentasa which I find gentler. 
  • Posted

I've found Mezavant takes up to two weeks on the 4800mg dose to bring back to remission

• Posted

Hi AJ693,

There are various forms of mesalazine. I take 'Octasa' 3 x 800mg enteric-coated tablets daily when I have a flare-up and to date find that within about a week I see a definite improvement in symptoms. 

The drug is also available as a foam enema (which personally I couldn't tolerate, but for some is a very effective means of getting the drug to the inflammation) and as a suppository.  You may wish to ask your IBD nurse about whether either or both may be suitable for your particular circumstance.

Good luck and I very much hope you get into remission very quickly indeed. This is a wretched condition.

Peter A   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.