How long does moviprep stay in your system after colonoscopy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy on Monday - all fine (thank goodness) - my only question is for months I have had really bad constipation (hence the examination) - and due to the prep being so severe (never been so much in my life) I decided to give my laxatives a break and see what happened - well today I was able to go without taking anything for the first time in years - but there was a lot of yellow mucus not unlike what I was passing during prep. I remember the nurse telling me it's so strong you can only administer it to anyone once in any fortnight! Just wondering if this is still actually working - as I have felt a bit gripey ever since Monday - and I have looked all over to find an answer! Anyone help?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It won’t usually be acting as a laxative after the colonoscopy but it might just kick-start the gut because it must come as quite a shock. If you are allowed to eat more fibre and do the usual self-help things for constipation your gut might just normalise because constant use of laxatives can make the bowel lazy. I really hope so because I know how miserable constipation can be. It drives me nearly mad when I get it...Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying etherenail!

I am already into the fibre and liquids - have been for quite a while! My problem seems to be having a dry bowel - as I had to go again today and it was a different story - dry and hard to pass! I drink at least 3 litres of water a day and take at least 25g of fibre - so it should keep things 'moving' - but it just doesn't seem to work! I am on laxido - which has the same ingredients as the moviprep (although a lot weaker). This is why I think some of the prep was still in my system! I can't find any info on this though.

• Posted

Hi

I had a colonoscopy back in April and was given Moviprep for the first time (rather than my normal Picolax). I hated the Moviprep...although i didn`t take the 4th sachet, as my stools were clear/watery,...my bowels returned to normal in about 3 days. Maybe yours will take a bit longer if you took all the sachets..i`m sure it will be fine. Try pasta and mashed potato for bulk!!..regards!

• Posted

Thanks Dimmy, I took all the packs - just 2 in my case - 2 litres of the stuff - not the nicest drink in the world! Must admit swigging elderflower presse after drinking moviprep helped to take the awful salty lemon taste away! Glad it's over - just waiting to see what happens in the next few days!

• Posted

Yellow mucas is not a good sign after have that done I did not have that constipation could be a sign of polyps too have you got your results back if the yellow mucas usually is a sign of IBS keeps up call your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Patty, thanks for replying!

I had no polyps - but the IBS makes sense! I need to have a chat with my GP on another test I had too - so I will ask then. I was sedated when I had my scope - but remember watching on screen. Weird seeing your own insides! I have back and muscular issues too - so that won't help me! I was told nothing bad there - and I was happy about that.

• Posted

Bright yellow stuff after heavy diarrhoea is common because the pigment that normally makes it look dark brown gets washed out. Not everyone gets it but it is not abnormal nor is a bit of time for the gut to get back to normal. This laxative clears the entire intestinal tract - small and large intestine. Food takes about 2 days to digest so there is a big gap left for a bit and all kinds of things can happen such as small motions, a gap of a day with no motions or in some cases a bit of rebound constipation. They know your colon is clear because they have just looked at it so you do not need to worry. Bleeding that gets worse or is heavy you DO REPORT immediately. That is different. The three staples of avoiding constipation are plenty of liquids, exercise and a reasonable amount of fibre (an easy way is one of those fibre things you drink or sprinkle on food). Some people just do have constipation like some people run to the loo all the time and stress can also influence it. I’m always bad in a strange place like a hotel for some reason. Same time each day helps if you can get into a routine and I have a routine after getting up; cup of coffee, think what time I have to leave the house, get my stuff together and that triggers something in my brain. Good luck! I know it’s the most miserable thing in the world when it won’t happen properly.
    • Posted

I am an avid fibre watcher now - never mind calories! Fortunately fibre one bars taste nice, are not a lot of calories and have 5g in each one - so they really help! I have tried to get into a 'routine' but my body just won't do it! GI said he had detected muscle weakness - but thats not his department! I can't go all at once either - sometimes I have 3 or 4 trips before I am 'empty'.I have got ongoing back issues as well - and I don't think that helps! Glad the yellow stuff is nothing - didn't think it was anything to worry about! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.