how long does olanzapine withdrawal last?

Posted , 37 users are following.

Does anybody know roughly how long olanzapine withdrawal lasts?. I`ve been on it for three years for ocd like paraniod delutions and a genaral feeling of anxiety. at first it was wonderfull, helped me alot especialy with sleep. the problem was that i probably slept for too long (upwards of 14 hours each night) and did very little exercise. i lost all interest in hobbies that i had previosly enjoyed like gardening, cycling, and being close to nature. sometimes just a walk too the beach used to clear my head and when i was well i`d go to the beach or walk around the village everyday, but i just dont get the same satisfaction out of it anymore and generally stay at home, plus i dont have the confidence to go out because i feel people are wispering about me or taking the piss out of my weight or the way i look. i was an active 25 year old young man who enjoyed the simple things in life. now im 28, depressed everyday with health probems. i tapered the dose down gradually to 2.5mg and on on the 1st of march stoped completely and had six weeks of hell, nausia, insonia, anxiety.... it got to the point where i could`nt take it anymore and gave in and began taking it again but after three weeks of being drowzy all day decided to give it another go and i`ve not had any now for five weeks . im not sleeping well and cant eat very much either. the problem now is im a nevous wreck 24/7, im all sweaty and panicy just leaving the house for grocerys and i have bills to pay and jobs that need doing but just having a shower once a day is pretty much all i can manage. its got to the point now where im templed to take it just to get some good quality sleep for a few days, get my appitete back, and look presentable so i can go into town and sort my bills out but i keep telling myself to be strong and try to see the light at the end of the tunnel. some poeple say it can take upto three months for your body to ajust, if anybody has had a similar experience olanzapine and managed to come off if and recover without swaping it for another drug please reply. would st johns wort or melatonin help for sleep? would apreciate any helpfull veiws or coments. thanks. james millington.

6 likes, 173 replies

173 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi James I have been on 5mg morning and 5mg at night for about 3 years and I've put on 3 stone weight and have high blood pressure so last week my Dr tryed taking me straight of them with no taper just straight cold turkey and I couldn't handle the withdrawal so I fonend my gp and they have put me bk on my original dose after 6 days I was sweating having panic attacks al day not showering scared to go out the house to be honest I wish I was never put on them but now I feel trapped if you can do it good on you cause ur a braver man than me I wish u all the luck and hope you get through it take care kind regards Shaun.

• Posted

Hi Shaun, you are very brave to try and go cold turkey. That can be dangerous if there is psychosis beneath the pills. I have been on olanzapine for 20 years and they help with my psychosis or at least they did. I can understand the fear you felt when you came off all your tabs. Try CBDs if you can afford them, at least 100mg pure CBD per day. They are expensive and some outlets offer bulk discounts. The good news is that GW pharmacy is testing a natural CBD based pill for schizophrenia. We have to be patient as the trials are in their early stages. There is also the possibility of an anti-fear pill in the future too that may help.

I feel trapped too at times with my meds, it must be frustrating for you too. Thanks for all the warm words of encouragement. I wish you success and do try CBDs if you have access to them. I am not braver than you, just sick of the weight gain, spasms and HBP too, like you. Best of luck.  Francis. 

• Posted

Hi Shaun , just wondering how are you going? ? Are you off Zyprexa? ? Im almost 4wks of being off Zyprexa Wafers 15mg. Withdrawals are tuff aches an pains headaches an terrible insomnia i do get a couple of hours when i can cope better but not enuff to get on top of things. I wish you all the very best an take care Lloyd
  • Posted

I have been off Olanzapine for over 6 and a half weeks, its been dreadful but I have come too far to go back now.  I am on no other anti psychotic, anti anxiety, anti depressant only the odd ibuprofen or paracetemol and magnesium for sleep.  I am still waking at 2am or 3am and have good and bad days.  I work full time and go to the gym, this all adds to the intensity of coming off.  But it also helps as well. I have the approval of my doctor but some days I just want it all to stop.  I had depression, suicidality, anxiety lasting 6 weeks.  I finally feel like the anxiety has lifted but now it is just aches and pain from not sleeping long enough. I wish you all luck in coming off this deadly drug - it is not one to mess with.  God bless.

• Posted

I was on 7.5 mg at night and 2.5 in the day.im now taking 5 mg at night and still on the day dose. this is what the doctor said to do to come off olanzapine. I'm feeling withdrawal symptoms.im supposed to stay on the dose for a month and then reduce again by 2.5 mg. I've been on olanzapine for 6 weeks. It's very difficult coming off this med.

• Posted

Hi Ash, take your time coming off this medication as the withdrawals are horrendous. I am nearly 11 weeks off now and feeling good. I go to the gym 5x a week and eat healthy most days. I wish you well coming off as it can be very difficult. I was on 2.5mgs at night and then halved it, i then stoppef taking it after that dose it was tough try tapering to smallest dose to lessen withdrawals but you may still get some esp. insomnia, anxiety, depression, hot and cold temp, sweats, restlessness, headaches....... Stay strong!
    • Posted

Hi Bridget, hope your doing well coming off Zyprexa.. im in my 2nd wk from going Cold Turkey.. i didn't get any medical advice on going off this hideous drug an after being on 15mg for 7yrs or so i decided to 7wks ago drop down to 10mg then 2wks later 5mg then 2wks later went Cold Turkey it's been rough with lot of aches an pains headaches an terrible insomnia.. 2wks free an determined to see it thru if i can. Take care an best of luck with coming down of this evil drug. Lloyd

• Posted

Hi Bridget, hope your doing well? ? Are u suffering from any withdrawals still ?? Aches an pains headaches etc ?? Im jus into my 3rd wk of Withdrawals from Zyprexa. I've had some reasonable hours thru the days where i can cope alot better but then the aches an pains an headaches take over again. Im hoping in time it'll all be worth it. Take care Lloyd

• Posted

Oh my god, Jamesmilly, I have the exact same problems associated with olizanpine use! Initially it helped me sleep but I sleep for at least twelve hours each day. I couldn't go to work and the medicine makes me feel heavy . I gained a lot of weight due to olizanpine use. My doctor prescribed it to me for ten years and now I am just recently seeing a new doctor and telling him i won't be using olizanpine anymore. But I am scared I will have issues regarding sleep as olizanpine helped me to sleep at night.  

• Posted

Hello I  have been taking 5mg  of Olanzapine for over 10 years  I have stopped taking the drug for over 3 weeks  I am having stomach cramps and a sense of tingling throughout my body    I am going to fight this as this drug has caused my to have septic shock which almost killed me   I have had a stroke  I am diabetic and I am having to cathertise as I can not pass urine   The stroke has left me physically and mentally disabled  It was only on research several weeks ago that I found this terrible drug has caused my ailments To any one taking olanzapine please keep away from this drug  It should be banned!  Strangely  enough at present my whole body aches and feels very heavy but I am determined to beat it  please do not give up I wish you well  from Margaret
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, I understand your suffering and you are a very brave and determined lady. Olanzapine is evil and in time there will be less harmful alternatives, like CBD plant-based safer meds. Sorry to hear about your stroke. That sounds a great blow to your well being. Keep up the good fight. Francis.
    • Posted

Hello Francis many thanks for your comments What is really upsetting me is that I have been put on this evil drug for over ten years after a break down and my doctors have never discussed with me to withdraw.  all the ailments that I have got are down to Olanzapine which nearly cost me my life  I researched this drug and was horrified to find all the side affects that I have.   At present I have seen 3 doctors each giving me conflicting advice  I am not taking Olanzapine now  I have been to my pharmacy and explained I have severe withdrawal symptoms  I was told to take two paracetamol 4 times a day for two weeks and if I I am in further pain after  2 weeks to go back to my doctor which I have no faith in  After all it is the doctors that prescribed this drug in the first place  .I know that the doctors are still prescribing this drug!  Are you trying to withdraw as well ? if so please let me know how you are and keep in touch  with very best wishes from Margaret
    • Posted

Hi, Margaret you are brave to fight off Olanzapine. Ten years is a long time. I've been on it for nearly 20 years. Yers, enough is enough when it threatens your life. My mother died of a stroke. I had a seizure on a mixture of Amisulpride & Olanzapine. What do you take the drugs for? I take Olanzapine for acute paranoia. I am experimenting with CBDs and milk-based products to calm me down. I drink about 4 pints of milk per day and take 2-4 CBD Gel-tabs that seem to have calming effects in large doses. They are slightly laxative! At least they're a pure plant extract, unlike Olanzapine. I am interested in using painkillers for withdrawal, as I found Co-Dydramol good for anxiety. Also, beta-blockers are good for severe anxiety, especially Propanolol. They do affect your breathing. I am withdrawing from Diazepam slowly - 2 mg less per month. Maybe try having the 2.5 mg of Olanzapine cut to 1.25 mg cut per month or more. Did the painkillers help with withdrawal? The lowest dose of Olanzapine I had daily was 12.5 mg and I had acute withdrawal effects. I will stay in touch and let you know when it's a good time for me to start withdrawal from Olanzapine. One at a time first. Family and friend support seems to produce better results when on withdrawal. How about you?

Kind Regards, Francis.

• Posted

Hey guys I'm coming up for a year in Nov free of olanzapine . It has been the toughest thing I have ever done. This drug should be withdrawn.... since coming off it I can think clearer and just sleeping a good 8 hours BUT.... my physical health has got bad( don't no if it's to do with damage the awful drug has done I'm waiting to prove it) all I can say it's the toughest challenge you will ever go through but I'm living proof u can do it. I'm rooting for you guy. Take care sarah

• Posted

Hi, congratulations! Well done you are an inspiration for me and many others on the slow killer. Did you achieve it alone or with support? Hope your physical health improves soon. I like the idea of being able to think clearer. I feel constantly confused and a bit dizzy. Could be diabetes caused by that vile drug. Take care. Hope your life continues to improve. You deserve it. Francis.
    • Posted

Hi Francis  I have the most severe withdrawal symptoms and have had excrutiating  pains all over my body It is unbearable and I am in severe discomfort  Had to call out the paramedics who arranged me to see my doctor I cannot bear it no longer and I am back on Olanzapine 5mg  I feel extremely un well my whole body is vibrating  How are you coping Francis?  kind regards from Margaret
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, I am sorry to read that you are going through what seems, a living Hell. I can understand severe pains, as I have a gallstone that flared up and it was like a stabbing feeling. Are you taking anything for the pain? Do you feel better that you are back on 5 mg Olanzapine? I am on 15 mg per day. You are very brave to try and reduce Olanzapine. I nearly killed myself yesterday, so I am delaying all med reductions till my personal circumstances change for the better. I am waiting for a new delivery of CBD-gels. Every time I come off my CBDs I feel worse. Are your vibrations like a shaking sensation? I shook when I was frightened. You must feel horrid and perhaps desperate as to what to do next? Life can be very cruel sometimes, especially if you are sensitive like me. I can't honestly imagine all the torture that you are going through and I hope you recover soon. Have you good friends and family members to relate to? If not try phoning helplines. I wish you well. Take good care, Francis.

• Posted

Hello Francis  many thanks for your kind words   the doctor prescribed me medication to take but I am in severe pain  my whole body is contracting  even my toes  It is very frightening  I have a good family and friends for support    I am back on 5mg Olanzapine  but at the moment I do not feel any difference  Why was you out on this medicaion for?  with me I had electric shock treatment for severe depression 11 years ago  It was only when I researched this drug that I decided to come off it not realizing the consequences   I wish you well  Frances  keep in touch warmest wishes from Margaret
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, Thank you for sharing your terrible experience of withdrawals with me, you must be going through a very difficult and extremely painful time. Does it feel that your body is being crushed by a winding sheet? I was warned by my Psych that I would die if I came off Olanzapine abruptly and I am taking 15 mg. Your dose seems very small. Are you taking it for depression? I take Olanzapine for Depression. At least very few folks believe that I've been persecuted by the State! Anyway, it seems also that Olanzapine isn't helping you much. You may need a higher dose or an alternative anti-psychotic. I am happy that you have supportive friends and family. Sadly, I don't. Mindfulness is a very useful distraction from suffering and pain. It takes practice. Hope to be back on the CBDs soon, they do help me feel calm. Did the ECT help you? Hope your suffering ends soon and you get the right treatment for you. You are the expert on how meds affect you. Warm Regards. Hug. Francis.

• Posted

Hello Francis many thanks for your kind reply  I  as having a bad time when I had the electric shock treatment   I was having delusions and when my husband visited me at the hospital I did not want to see him  I told him that He had bankrupted us!  The delusions was terrible and I was telling everyone that we was homeless!  I cant beleive what was happening to me when I look back  I was suffering from clinical depression and have been on olanzapine ever since  So sorry to have hear that you  have had terrible upset in the past as it must have been dreadful when you was left of your own to raise a family  please keep in touch   and wish you well  warm regards  from Margaret
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, you're welcome and thanks for your reply. That must have been frightening for you, thinking that you are homeless and bankrupt. Did your husband understand that you were ill? Have you always been on 5 mg of Olanzapine? I'd 30 mg per day in 2000 and reduced it to 15 mg per day. It seems you have had some psychotic symptoms with your depression. Did you take any other meds? 5 mg of Olanzapine would not help me at all. The lowest I've been on is 12.5 mg. I have never had the stress and joy of raising a family. Back on 75 mg of CBD today and able to write this to you.

It's either beer or CBD's. Maybe CBDs are safer and possibly more effective at eradicating anxiety/fear? Where did you buy yours? Wish you all the best for health. Hugs, Francis.

• Posted

Hello Francis  Thanks for you  reply  It was very difficult for me whilst in hospital a terrible time the delusions was very bad for me I did not want  to have nothing to do with my husband the delusions felt very real   my husband was very upset and even the doctors asked him if we were bankruptI am going back to the doctors tomorrow  the withdrawal symptoms are really upsetting me  I have a tightness around my throat and feel awful  I feel that I cannnot functon properly and have spent most of today in bed  As I have been back on Olanzapine  5mg I feel really drowsy and uncomfortable  Will will send you a further message when I have seen the doctors  tomorrow  Hope you are a little    better  today  thinking of you sending back hugs  from Margaret  xx
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, I will keep this short, as I'm feeling very drowsy. I wish you the best with your doctor and I hope he helps you out of the nightmare of delusions and physical pain you are enduring. When I reduced to 12.5 mg per day and my mind felt drained of any energy - I upped my dose to 15 mg. Perhaps to quell your suffering it may be better to increase your Olanzapine temporarily or try another med. Sometimes, we don't always get the timing right for withdrawal and maybe the timing could be better for withdrawal from OLanzapine. That tightness around you seems extremely frightening. Does your husband understand you very well? Is there any truth about being bankrupt or moneyless? You seem to be very aware of your delusions, so you probably know what is "real" and what is doubtful. At the end of the day, you are the expert patient with a doctor's support. Thank you for the hugs and good wishes. Best of results with your doctor's visit. Hugs, Francis. x

• Posted

Hi my name is Amy. I have been on Olanzipine for about 6 yrs 25mg for past year then my MD abruptly stopped it. It's been about 3 months but this so called withdrawl which is severe mania upon the anxiety and sleep and severe headaches bodyaches muscle pain are killing me. What can I take or consume to help the pain and mania? I want to stay off it now that it has been this long but omg what do I do??????

• Posted

What is CBD??? I have come off of 25mg Olanzipine abrubptly about 3 months ago and its still so aweful for me. Any suggestions or input would help ever so greatly. My apologies my name is Amy and was on Olanzipine for 6 yrs. Please help....
    • Posted

all i can say is congratulations and stay off them. try and get some diazepam as the withdrawel can be much worse than the reason that you were ever on them. It is a complete nightmare to come of those pills and i dont know how on earth you have managed this long without going back on them as thats what the withdrawel does to so many people it makes them go back on them just to get some relief from the horrors of withdrawel. your doing so very well. i found that diazepam or any kind of benzo helped me. please please keep it up. i will pray for you. have you ever been to mad in america website  its a forum where many people talk about withdrawel from anti psychotic you will soon see that not many people can get of them so please share your story with them as they need hope, all the very best to you my dear. your so lucky to get off those horrible pills for so long. your nealry over it. god bless you.
    • Posted

Well done Amy I've been a little over a yr of olanzapine was the biggest thing I've ever done. I smoked cannabis which help loads. I feel for u as it's the most awful withdrawal. Sarah

• Posted

Bad physical health in what way? Have you lost weight? Congratulations to you on your one year abstinence I am 17 weeks off, my sleep is still bad, how long did you wait before you slept 8 hours?

B!

• Posted

Morning bridget. No weight loss but always been overweight lol. It took about 5 months to get a full nights sleep I suffered terribly with bad headaches and also had a lot of eye pain and neck pain (doc said it withdrawal) I'm suffering with bad uti's (never had one in my life ) 17 weeks that is amazing hun just don't give up it's so tough . Sarah

• Posted

Your M.D. should not have told you to stop abruptly as this makes withdrawals worse especially on the dose you were in. I took codeine when in pain which helped but you have to take care to not overuse other meds as they are addictive. Educate youself through other withdrawal sites and keep going. Healthy eating and exercise helped me immensely. Good luck.

B!

• Posted

Yes I get headaches too. Body is sensitive to any changes. Sleep is all I want to improve now. Thank you for your response.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah , im from Perth Western Australia an have been on Zyprexa for nearly 8yrs an 5wks ago i cut down from 15mg to 10mg then 2wks later dropped to 5mg an for bout 10days havn't had any an are finding it tough with terrible headaches muscle aches an general unwell feeling. However im determined to see it thru if i can. Been good to see different people opinions bout this very hard to beat drug. Only other Antidepressant im stil taking is Mertazipine 30mg nightly. Havn't slept for past 36hrs no doubt part of withdrawal symptoms. Hope your coping well an take care. Lloyd

• Posted

Hi Lloyd I'm coming up to 17 months free. I did straight cold turkey and boy it was the hardest thing I've ever done . 9 months into the withdrawal I went to see my go and I'm now on 100mg sertraline and I feeling great now. The one thing that got me through withdrawal was smoking cannabis. My health has suffered uti's terrible tummy problems. I honestly think it took a good 14 months to feel right again. Just be bloody strong and talk about how u are feeling. Ur not going mad it's normal. Wishing u luck . Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah , thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention did you have any breathing problems or shallow breathing while coming off Zyprexa? ? I notice others have mentioned bout shallow breathing while going thru withdrawals. I jus wonder if Zyprexa has anything to do with my shallow breathing problems. Ive been on Oxygen Therapy 24/7 for past 6wks. Will be interesting to see if my Breathing improves when i beat these withdrawals. Would like yours or anyone else's opinion on this please? ? Im having bouts where i seem to be getting on top of the withdrawals for short periods of time then back to square one is this normal ?? Take care Lloyd

• Posted

Hi lloyd. No problems with breathing . I was up and down with the withdrawal the problems I had was emotions I would cry at anything and thing I was going crazy. It seemed to me that poison completely numbed my brain I had no feeling for 10 yrs then BANG . I suffered terrible head aches really bad eye pain ( honestly thought I had a brain tumour) lack of sleep over thinking things , uti's tummy problems, awful tension in my neck and back. It will pass but don't expect to be normal for months. Stick it out it's worth it 😁

• Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry to bother you again but was jus wondering if is any difference from one being on Zyprexa Wafers as apose to Zyprexa Tablets or Liquid Zyprexa? ? Do you think it would be harder to come down off anyone of those 3 types... i was taking Zyprexa Wafers an they would disolve almost instantly under my tongue on the other hand Tablets would have to go thru your stomach etc. Just curious if one is more active then the other. If you or anyone else would know if one is quicker or long longer acting then the other I'd like to know? ? Thanking you Lloyd

• Posted

Hi myo04766 , how are you going? ? Are you off Zyprexa? ? If you are how are you fairing? ? Any withdrawals etc. Im coming up to near 3wks after coming off Zyprexa. Terrible Withdrawals aches an pains headaches an insomnia.. i do also at have times when i cope reasonably ok. Im determined to beat this terrible drug in time. Take care an best wishes Lloyd
    • Posted

Hang in there Lloyd!  It sounds you are going through the worst of the withdrawal right now.  I want to say this, at the times of the lows it can get pretty low and negative even very negative thoughts can haunt you.  It gets better with time slowly, sometimes back and forth, but will get better as the drug and any traces of it are out of your system and your body and brain try to reset itself.  

I will say that 3 months off the drug is a good mark in the journey towards recovery and getting back to a normal semblance of life.  

Please try to exercise, eat healthy, eat supplements (the good ones), try to surround yourself with caring and loving people, try to avoid stress (that was a hard one for me especially because of my stressful job that I had to maintain due to my obligations to my children), and practice as many good habits as you can.

For me, my faith and family were key to help me in my recovery.  I am now about 4 months off all psych drugs and I would recommend getting all of the psych drugs out of your system if you want to improve your chances to a full recovery.  

Prayers, thoughts, and hope this helps you.

p.s. for reference I was on zyprexa for about 3 months (from 30 mg, to 10 mg to cold turkey), and abilify for 3 weeks.  The WD was hell on earth for me and I truly believed it had ruined my life permanently.  Now though, being off completely for several months, I feel much better and am glad I didn't decide to end my life when it got the lowest and stayed low for a while...  the insomnia was the worst part for me since it seemed to cause many of the other panic attacks and anxiety and my brain just could not seem to function normally.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, thank you for sharing your story.  I too came off cold turkey and I have to say anyone who has successfully come off cold turkey understands what you mean when you say "it was the hardest thing I've ever done."  And I have already been through a lot!

"If you feel like you're going through hell, keep going."

• Posted

Hi Annemay , how are you coping with your battle with Zyprexa? ? Are you still having aches an pains etc Im still struggling with aches an pains headaches an insomnia. Im jus over 3wks off this drug an still determined to see it thru if I can. Best wishes to you and take care Lloyd
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, just wondering how your going with everything ?? Im 3wks and 5days into my withdrawals from Zyprexa an still having aches an pains headaches an insomnia. Been taking Melatonin for past wk an not getting as much sleep as would like but hopefully that'll improve. Sounds like i have at least a couple more months of withdrawals before things improve going by what people say on this forum. Im guna see it thru as can't turn back now. Hope your well best wishes an take care Lloyd

• Posted

Hi Margaret, would like to know how you're doing with your battle with Zyprexa Withdrawals? ? Im into 3 an halve weeks off Zyprexa. Im having lot of aches an pains headaches an insomnia. Ive been taking Melatonin for past wk to help sleep but not helping as yet. I also have some Dizzy spells have you any of my symptoms aswell ? ? Best wishes an take care Lloyd

• Posted

Hi Sarah, how are you going now ?? Im into my 4th wk of Withdrawals an still having aches an pains an insomnia but still hava clear mind an hope to see it thru. Hope you as re well. Take care Lloyd

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.