How long does pain last?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'd be interested to hear how long the pain phase has lasted for other FS sufferers. I'm have just passed the 6 month mark of quite bad pain and it is showing no signs of letting up. This is my second FS and pain phase had pretty much subsided by 6 months with other shoulder. Beginning to wonder if surgery is the way to go this time. Difficult to know what to do. My other shoulder took 2 years to resolve completely and I feel like I managed that one so much better than this one. Perhaps i have forgotten how painful previous one was. This one just seems so much worse and looks like its going to take a lot longer than 2 years to resolve. Currently managing things with slow release pain killers but only at night so I can sleep. Anyway, my sympathies to all of you going through this. It's so good to just to vent on this forum. All the best. Sx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well I can't tell you how long it will last but it seems most people say 1-2 years! I opted for surgery at the 6 month phase and wish I would have done it sooner! Not saying surgery is an easy fix but within a month I was back to using my arm and feeling better in general! If cost is not a big factor I would go for the surgery and work hard for that first month! I still have pain but I also had got my frozen shoulder from having surgery so I have 2 surgeries playing a roll! Good luck to you! I know about 3 months after having the second surgery the frozen shoulder sorta fell away as a distant nightmare and that was a relief cause I was at my wits end

• Posted

Hi Susan.

I am on my second FS also. This time in my non dominant arm. And I must report that this time I feel I have managed better; maybe because I knew what to expect and I knew there would be an end to the pain.

I have been fortunate that on both occasions the painful freezing stage has lasted around 4 months. I am now frozen so the pain has all but gone but I have limited movement. I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering, hopefully the turning point is just round the corner for you.

I personally would try every other avenue before resorting to surgery; but that is just my personal view. Everyone on here has their own story; there own coping mechanisms and everyone's FS seems unique to them... maybe that's why the medical profession appear baffled about the 'whys and wherefores' of this awful condition.

Take care.

• Posted

I am on my secound year next month. Per my Ortho., FS can last 2-5 years, for those of us who are Diabetics. Scar tissue if apparently thicker in Diabetics, and ussually have to have the surgery several times, at lest per my Ortho. Not for me.

A hot bath, Accupuncture and massage are pretty much only helpful things for me at this point.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

• Posted

Susan, Its been some time since I suffered from FS but once in the excruciating inescapable grip of its pain, I researched the options and found the Niels Asher technique. I phoned the 3 doctors closest to me to speak to them. The 3rd doctor, the furthest from me, seemed to be the one. He was 200 miles away. I drove to him 4 or 5 times. Within 2 months I was nearly pain free. I wish you all the best in your healing.

Paula

• Posted

Hi Paula, thanks for the info. Never heard of Niels Asher. Will look it up and see if i can find any practitioners here in Australia. Thanks again. Susan
  • Posted

Susan this also is my second time with a FS.  The first time, 9 years ago,  was in my nondominant arm (L) and this time in my (R) arm.  I thought maybe the pain was not as bad previously because of it being in my L arm that I did not use it as much as my R.  Maybe it's been so long I forgot how bad the pain.  I remember not sleeping due to pain but this time it hurts day and night!  I am miserable!  And as others have said, quick movements of the arm cause "Drop to the knee" pain.  I noticed back in Oct. 2016 that my shoulder was hurting.  I waited until Novemeber to see MD.  I did see sports medicine orthopedist and was sent to PT to prevent FS.  Well that did not do anything but cause more pain.  Three weeks ago I went for a second opinion to the SMO that I saw the first time and he confirmed my diagnosis FS.  He recommended a MUA the first time and again this time.  He also said I could do nothing!  I elected to let time heal it the first time and it did but took almost 2 years!  He told me that it would thaw out just like it froze.  He was right! I got back complete ROM and use of my L arm.  This time around I am so tired of hurting and not sleeping I am not sure I can wait it out! I know your feelings exactly.  So glad that I found this forum today.  It is nice to know that others can sympathize with the agony that a FS brings with it!  All the best to you!!!

• Posted

Hi Susan, I'm pleased I found this site and come across your post.  This is my 1st FS, just been diagnosed.  Mine started in Jan 2017 with a dull ache and by March the. Pain kicked it.  I finally got diagnosed 2 weeks ago, pleased someone could give a name this excruciating problem.  I was give Codeine + stronger, but was unable to tolerate it and Ive ended up with Vertigo ( which I do suffer with occasionally).  I'm getting by!! With 1 paracetamol, rubbing on Ibuprofen and a hot water bottle strapped to my arm!!  I sleep for 2 hours and have to get up, too painful.

i would like to know if my FS started with a dull ache in Jan, pain kicked in, in March how long have a got left with this pain.

like you I need to vent and apologise if I've gone on. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.