How long does pain last after acute pancreatitis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was hospitalized for a week and diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. I went a week on clear liquids after that, then a week on full liquids and now I'm on a soft diet. I still feel some discomfort in my lower back (left side). It's been about 3 weeks. How long before it goes away?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think everyone is different in the healing process. I had a similar attack. I  was hospitalized for 3 days and sent home with pantrapazole 40 mgs. I was also scheduled for gallbladder surgery about three weeks later. I was not released until my amylase count came back down to normal. 

Over all, I think my pain lasted several weeks and was completely gone just before the gallbladder surgery. 

Hopefully, your pain is getting ready to subside. I'm assuming this is your first attack and the cause was not the gallbladder?

Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Glenn

• Posted

I'm similar to yourself, although I was diagnosed last January with acute pancreatitis. Some days I have no pain, other days I have 'discomfort' and other days I have fairly serious pain for which I take pain killers. But, I think it depends on the individual. Many people get it and have no pain afterwards. Others go on to develop chronic pancreatitis. I think you can help yourself by getting the best possible medical treatment and advice. Obviouly, alcohol is out for ever. No ifs, buts or ands! Amazingly, some sufferers ignore this and continue to drink. Don't if you want to live ! It's a serious condition. Don't eat fat meat like pork, beef, or lamb. Eat lean chicken, rice, vegetables and avoid processed foods and caffeine. Take vitamin C and food supplements like grape seed extract and curcumin. Importantly, take digestive enxymes which helped me a lot. It's hard to say as to how long the pain will last. Some people told me that about after six months that it got better. Others said that it came back once they reverted to their old diet of eating fats etc. I am hoping , like yourself, to be completely pain free sooner rather than later and I think I am improving. It's important to keep positive and act positively in accepting the changes  necessary to regain your health fully. Good luck and good health! 
  • Posted

i went through the same and same treatments,until amylase came back down to normal and even then my back did ache for a week or so after leaving hospital,it just takes some time for it to settle again after the spasms,keep to the light/low fat diet at home,no heavy meals,patience,as everyone is different,keep well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.